Chicken with Cider and Bacon Sauce: A Healthy Choice

I’m cooking lighter in 2010.  That’s not to say that I won’t post evil baked goods and decadent dinners… I’ll still do that of course, but I’m also mindful of the fact that my thighs are rubbing together and my non-existent love handles seem to be making an appearance again.  It’s time to eat a little healthier and cut back a bit.  I picked up what looks to be a good cookbook at Costco the other day-  Cooking Light:  Way to Cook- the Complete Visual Guide to Everyday Cooking.  It has pictures- LOTS of them (850 to be exact- for 200 recipes).  And it has process pictures, which are tough to find nowadays.  The cookbook goes through ways to do things… way to saute, way to grill meats, way to make yeast breads, way to braise, way to cook healthy, etc.  I’m really diggin’ this one.

The first recipe I tried from this cookbook was Chicken with Cider and Bacon Sauce.  Since they include process pics, I’ll include them too.
CiderChicken1
Chop up two slices of bacon and sizzle away until it’s nice and crisp. Use the real stuff (2 slices of regular- not turkey-bacon aren’t going to kill you, are they?) You’ll need the bacon grease to do the next part. While your bacon is cooking, pound out chicken breast halves to 1/2-inch thickness (for two reasons… ONE: the chicken cooks more evenly and will stay nice and moist, and TWO: It will make your serving of chicken look really big and therefore you will be more satisfied :) )
CiderChicken2
Remove the bacon from the pan & fry up that chicken in the small amount of bacon grease that accumulated.
CiderChicken3
Remove the chicken and tuck it into some foil to keep it warm. Add onion, apple cider and chicken broth to the pan and boil until it reduces a bit. Add the bacon and the sauce is done.
CiderChicken4
Serve it over the chicken and you’ve got yourself a yummy, quick, healthy chicken dinner. Rice is a good choice to tuck underneath the chicken and absorb some of those sauce juices too. This recipe will be a repeat in our house- my boys gave it all thumbs up. I liked it too :)

The complete recipe, along with nutritional information & Weight Watcher points, can be found HERE.

35 Responses to “Chicken with Cider and Bacon Sauce: A Healthy Choice”

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 4, 2010 @ 3:39 AM

Bacon sauce sounds amazing!!!

Barbara — January 4, 2010 @ 4:06 AM

I’m with you….lighter and healthier. Great recipe!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 4, 2010 @ 5:39 AM

What a great recipe!

I love including just a little bacon in lighter recipes! It’s makes me feel like I’m eating a decadent meal :)

Terri A. — January 4, 2010 @ 6:50 AM

I know what I’m making for dinner! I just started WW again yesterday and I have all the ingredients for this at home. Thanks!

Suzanne — January 4, 2010 @ 7:06 AM

Yum!!!!! Just found you on Stop eating the chocolates. I can’t wait to try this…even tweeted about it:-)
    happy New Year!

Joan Nova — January 4, 2010 @ 7:16 AM

Doesn’t seem like a healthier or diet-friendly choice but I guess for success — it’s got to be more about portion control than deprivation. Looks delicious!

Good Taste. Healthy Me — January 4, 2010 @ 7:42 AM

oh my goodness. I have GOT to try this baby!

Kelly @ EvilShenanig — January 4, 2010 @ 7:56 AM

Yum!! Bacon anything is my favorite! ;)

Maria — January 4, 2010 @ 7:56 AM

Great healthy meal idea!

doodles — January 4, 2010 @ 8:29 AM

You are so right two slices of REAL bacon won’t hurt and this is perfect for the 10 in 10 kickoff………..thanks

Katie @ goodLife {eats} — January 4, 2010 @ 8:35 AM

I think a little bit of bacon is a great way to add extra flavor to a light meal. I always buy center cut bacon because it has more meat on it, less fat & calories. Great recipe!

Hallie — January 4, 2010 @ 10:18 AM

This looks incredible! I think I’m going to try to make it soon…my boyfriend will think I’m cooking something unhealthy since it has bacon in it, but I’ll know the truth ;-)

Leigh — January 4, 2010 @ 10:43 AM

I am definitely trying this soon.

Esi — January 4, 2010 @ 12:26 PM

It sounds so delicious and really easy to make…plus, you still get to enjoy a bit of bacon while eating healthy. Thumbs up! :)

Gera @ SweetsFoods — January 4, 2010 @ 12:28 PM

A glorious recipe drooling with it. It’d be more healthier with the less bacon possible, I know less flavor too ;)

Have a great week!

Gera

LilSis — January 4, 2010 @ 1:29 PM

I love this recipe and am bookmarking it now to make for my family soon.

I’m going to look for this cookbook. I love cookbooks loaded with photos and since I’m focusing on cooking light, I’m sure I’ll love this one. That’s one reason why I love Jamie Oliver’s cookbooks so much. He has a photo for every recipe.

noble pig — January 4, 2010 @ 1:44 PM

That looks delicious! Happy New Year!!

Janice — January 4, 2010 @ 5:57 PM

Yikes, this is making me hungry and I just finished dinner. I agree that pounding the chicken breasts makes a big difference. My kids have an easier time eating the thinner cutlets since they are usually more tender. Happy New Year!

Cheryl — January 4, 2010 @ 7:30 PM

Sounds yummy and easy = must try!

Bren — January 4, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

I’m not sorry that I don’t eat bacon, but this looks so hearty and delish! I’ll take it w/out the bacon, k!?!? :)

Happy New Year, girlie!

The Chef In My Head — January 5, 2010 @ 5:37 AM

Perfect! I have all the ingredients on hand for dinner tonight. – LeslieMichele

Lynn — January 5, 2010 @ 7:29 AM

What a great looking way to fix chicken. Anything with bacon has to be good, right? Cooking Light is always my go-to for everyday eating- lots of delicious ways to fix meals that won’t put you into stretch waist bands.

Marla — January 5, 2010 @ 11:28 AM

This recipe looks great! I love the idea of pounding the chicken breast so it appears bigger. Taking the time to really chew our food and enjoy each and every bite helps satisfy too! Agreed, nothin’ wrong with a little “real” bacon to keep meals lively and filled with flavor!

pigpigscorner — January 5, 2010 @ 1:43 PM

What a great recipe! Love the chicken pounding trick.

ThePastryChefAtHome — January 5, 2010 @ 3:34 PM

I love the juxtaposition of “Bacon Sauce” and “Healthy Choice” in the same sentence! I’m terrible and making no effort to eat healthier, but this dish looks delicious!

Happy New Year :)

Charles Thompson — January 5, 2010 @ 4:06 PM

Of course the word ‘bacon’ caught my eye when I first saw your post. ANYthing is good with bacon. Then with the addition of chicken and cider – it really sounds very yummy. :-)

patsy — January 5, 2010 @ 7:08 PM

I picked up that cookbook at Costco last week! I love all the photos, and now I’ve got to add that recipe to my menu plan soon! Love that it has so much going on with it, definitely more satisfying.

Katrina — January 5, 2010 @ 8:42 PM

Everything is better with bacon! Looks de-lish.

so Spiffy April — January 6, 2010 @ 6:20 AM

Is that Barely Rice? It sure looks fantastic… I was off the wagon for 6-7 days.. and back on it again… so I’m looking forward to more of your recipes.

Laura — January 6, 2010 @ 10:41 AM

I too picked up this cookbook and made the angel food cake for New Year’s. Needless to say, the recipe has a very bad typo in it. It calls for 2 egg whites when it should say 12 egg whites. I consulted other cookbooks with a similar recipe and they all say 12 egg whites. Otherwise, it’s a great reference book.

Lori Lange — January 6, 2010 @ 9:20 PM

Laura- Yikes! That’s a huge error, isn’t it? Thanks for letting me know!

Kara — January 7, 2010 @ 9:09 AM

This looks amazing… and with all ingredients we have on hand all the time! This is going to be part of my healthy in 2010 start! Thanks!

PS – I wanted to make a big batch of a healthy and hearty soup (for this insanely cold weather we’re having)… do you have any favorites that you can recommend?

doodles — January 12, 2010 @ 1:55 PM

for those of you that think this is amazing it truly is delishly amazing. Thanks for this is now going in my rotation.

Charlotte Hancey — January 14, 2010 @ 9:44 AM

I made this last night and it was amazing! My new favorite chicken dish for sure. Even my 3 very picky kids gobbled it up. It would not be the same without the bacon. The onions were actually my favorite though because they soaked up all the flavors. Thank you for an awesome recipe!

laura — November 29, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

I made this tonight and it was excellent! I served it with some twice-baked potatoes I found on another site….. Very yummy. I did overcook the chicken a bit by going the full 6 minutes per side and will probably aim for 4 next time around. Otherwise it was perfect :)
    Thanks for sharing.