Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Week 2

It was so inspiring this week for me to pop around on the blogs and see so many people writing about the Ten in ’10 Healthy ChallengeThe Passionate Pair said it best when they described the challenge as “gaining a foundation for long-lasting habits.” I hope that’s how we’re all looking at this challenge. At the bottom of this post, you’ll see links to other blogs that you can visit to read about other people’s experiences.  The excitement and energy is contagious! An even larger source of inspiration and support has been on Twitter.  In addition to the usual folks I chat with, it was fun to bring up the #10in10 hashtag. If you do a search using the hashtag #10in10 on Twitter, you’ll see so many people tweeting about their day… their workouts, their food choices, their oopsies, their questions, links to healthy recipes, and more.  It’s what I like best about Twitter right now.  I have a “List” within my Twitter home page where I’ve added all of the Participants.  You’re welcome to follow that list if you’d like to see what everyone is up to.

*My experience with the challenge this week*

Successes:
*I achieved my goal of exercising 6 of the 7 days.
*I feel really good about the food choices I made this week (avoided all of the “bad” food & watched portions & snacking).
*I didn’t drink a drop of wine, though that will change next week…
*I lost 5.5 lbs!

What I’ve Learned….
*Walking at a 5-6% incline on the treadmill at a good speed is almost as tough as running and provides for a nice workout.
*Even if I only have about 30 minutes, I can still get in a good workout.
*I shouldn’t go shopping until I’ve lost weight.  It’ll be more fun and it’s pretty much a waste of money since new clothes likely won’t fit me when I’m at my goal weight.
*Tracking food & fitness on SparkPeople.com isn’t for me.  I find it too confusing & it takes forever to find what you need to enter (if you find it).  I don’t need to track calories, so I just write my intake in a food journal and keep a calendar where I write my fitness each day.
*I discovered Sparkpeople’s recipe feature- where you can enter ingredients for a recipe & it will compute calories per serving.
*Weighing in at the end of the week (rather than my usual, obsessive every day) is just fine.  It was exciting to see my grand total for the week.

What I still need to work on…
*drinking water!  I’m trying, and I’ve been better but I really need to step up the water intake.
*I need to learn to relax and go to bed at a decent time & sleep in.  I’m not getting enough sleep.

Other stuff….
*I watched two fabulous, informational shows this week about eating healthy.  The first was on Food Network.  Alton Brown explains how eating from 4 basic food groups helped him lose 50 lbs without going on a diet.  You can see when that show is re-airing here.  Dr. Oz has also had some really great diet-related shows lately.  I really learn a lot watching his show.  Look for show topics here, and perhaps they’ll re-air some of those shows.
*A new season of The Biggest Loser began last week. Watch it! It’s so inspiring to watch these people transform themselves from outrageously unhealthy to fit & trim.

HealthySnackscollage(NOTE:  none of the brands mentioned have paid me to write about them.  I’m just sharing things that work for me.)

1.  Apples- GALA apples to be exact.  They’re sweet and yummy & I can’t get enough of them.  Sometimes I cut up an apple and use a dab of peanut butter to dunk it in before I head to the gym.
2.  Laughing Cow Light Cheese- At only 35 calories, this stuff is good spread onto whole grain crackers or rice cakes.  (It’s also wonderful melted into pasta, by the way).
3.  Brown Rice Cakes:  If you’re gonna buy rice cakes, they might as well be brown rice cakes.  By themselves, ICK, but with the Laughing Cow Light Cheese on one of them, it makes a good snack.  1 rice cake = 70 calories
4.  South Beach Living High Protein Cereal Bars:  These aren’t bad for a quickie snack & they have 140 calories, 5g fat & 3g fiber
5.  Dried Cranberries:  These are 100 calorie boxes, which are good if you need conveniently portioned packaging.  Nice treat to keep in your purse or computer bag for spur-of-the-moment snack emergencies.
6.  Pecans:  I keep mine in the freezer (for some reason they taste like more of a treat when they’re frozen).  A small handful is about an ounce = 196 calories
7.  Babybel Light Cheese:  These little rounds are 50 calories.  If you slice them up and put them on a plate with some whole grain crackers, you’ll feel like you’re eating more than you really are.
8.  Almonds:  It’s safe to say that I love almonds too.  Again, these are in convenient 100 calorie packets (you can certainly portion off your own & it will be much cheaper), but I like these to throw in my purse.  1 ounce = 164 calories

Additional notes:
*I have so many lowfat, low carb and weight watchers recipes in my recipe collection. Take a peek to see if you can find some new treasures to try.
*Be sure to check out my other blog (www.CulinaryCovers.com) for additional recipes.  The theme of that blog is “reviewing the recipes from the covers of cookbooks & magazines,”,and often times I highlight Cooking Light, Weight Watchers and low fat cookbooks.

On to week two with loads of enthusiasm & energy!! Good luck all! :)

27 Responses to “Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Week 2”

Sarah, MaisonCupcake — January 9, 2010 @ 1:27 AM

Well done on that fantastic weight loss in your first week. I have lost 3-4 lb since New Year so I’m really pleased too and glad to have all these other people to help me stay on track. I am really enjoying these collages of pictures you have been doing.

Jessica — January 9, 2010 @ 5:01 AM

Great job on your weight loss, Lori! That is awesome!!!

Katie — January 9, 2010 @ 5:07 AM

Great job Lori! Thanks for the ideas on healthy snacks. I always eat almonds, never thought of pecans!

Adam — January 9, 2010 @ 5:09 AM

Good for you Lori. 5 and a half pounds already! That’s great. Keep up the hard work, which should be no problem with all the enthusiasm you have :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 9, 2010 @ 5:37 AM

Congrats on the weight loss! You’re doing such a great job :)

Kitchen Butterfly — January 9, 2010 @ 5:48 AM

Wow….truly encouraging. My poorly ankle has been keeping me from exercising and I’ve managed to drink tea plain, without sugar….so things are improving!!! Well done

Natanya — January 9, 2010 @ 6:07 AM

Congrats on not only the 5.5 pounds but the solid exercise routine. I’ve lost about 2.5 pounds which is consistent with how I’ve lost weight in the past so I’m happy with it. If I can keep this pace up I’ll have my weight gone by Valentine’s Day. I’m doing well on my water intake most days, although when things get really stressful at work I find I don’t do as good of a job with the water as I should. Finally, I’m still struggling with exercise. We’re back into the full swing of work and school and, to top it all off, we’re having a huge cold snap here in Texas which makes getting outside a little more difficult. If I can work out today and tomorrow I’ll be closer to my goal, but I’m going to really focus on exercise next week.

suzanne — January 9, 2010 @ 6:10 AM

Wow you are doing great in this challenge!!

Lori — January 9, 2010 @ 6:13 AM

Congrats on your weight loss! It sounds like your body was ready to get back into the swing of things. The web tracking of food intake and exercise isn’t for me either. I’ve attempted it several times throughout the past few years and it is too much work for me to keep up with it. I know it can work for some though which is great. Oh, and I have to remember to put the hashtag in my tweets!

My week went well. I lost about 1.5 lbs which is fine. I’m finding I really have to balance enough fuel for my running with cutting back, so I expect the loss to be slow. I’ve got a 4 mile run this afternoon. Gotta get pumped! :)

Divina — January 9, 2010 @ 6:31 AM

Congratulations on your progress. I missed working on week 1 but I posted my week 1 on week 2 instead. I hope that’s okay. You’re doing great and thanks for the inspiration.

Darryn — January 9, 2010 @ 6:51 AM

Congrats on your progress! That’s awesome!!

I also appreciate your tips, and your snack ideas! I have the babybel cheese a lot, but i never thought of slicing it up to go with crackers :)

Tracy — January 9, 2010 @ 7:59 AM

Congratulations on all of your achievements this week, Lori!! You have been such an inspiration. For the first time in my life, I really feel like I’m changing my life and not just “dieting” to lose weight. My fiance and I motivated each other to get up at 5AM for workouts and we’re actually getting involved in some running groups, as well as volunteering at races before our first one in March. I really credit the Ten in ’10 for getting us to finally do this. I love the support from everyone else involved as well. I see this growing into something so much bigger and longer than the original ten week plan. ;) PS. Thanks for the mention…can’t wait to see what happens in week 2!

doodles — January 9, 2010 @ 8:03 AM

You have helped with many great ideas, several of which I have taken to. Trail mix, homemade and freshly made fruit salad has satisfied my cravings.

Congratulation to you for a good beginning.

megan — January 9, 2010 @ 9:37 AM

Great job on the 5.5 pounds and great snack ideas. I’m putting whole grain crackers and babybel on the shopping list!

noble pig — January 9, 2010 @ 10:00 AM

You are doing great!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} — January 9, 2010 @ 12:26 PM

Congratulations Lori! I’ve started off strong, I just hope I don’t fall off the wagon next week. Will be out of town for a couple days. Going to bring my Shred dvd with me and hope I stick to my routine.

LilSis — January 9, 2010 @ 12:36 PM

Congrats on such a successful week, Lori! I’ve also decided to only weigh in once a week. I was down a pound and a half at one point during the week and then ended up with only one pound loss, but that’s okay because that was my ultimate goal.

I got frustrated with Spark People too when I couldn’t find a couple of breakfast items. I heard that livestrong.com has a nutrition tracker so I may check that out to see if it’s easier.

I LOVE apples, almonds and the Laughing Cow lite swiss wedges. I usually have the almonds for morning snack, the Laughing Cow for lunch and apples in the afternoon. (Trying to replace my bad habit of 5:00 snacking!)

I did break down last night and had some Triscuits and cheese since we had a birthday cookout for my husband. I need to watch my weekend rules so I don’t mess up all my progress from the week.

Looking forward to next week. Have a great weekend.

Barbara — January 9, 2010 @ 1:23 PM

Nice info!
    I’m hanging in there, have a really long way to go, but headway has been made. Now that my guests are gone, I am back working out 6 days a week and have not cheated once on the South Beach Diet. I even made a casserole for my blog today and gave it all away!

Gera @ Sweets Foods — January 9, 2010 @ 1:26 PM

It’s always very satisfying to see the goals accomplished! Lost 5.5 lbs and doing 6 days exercising is amazing :)

I can’t do aerobic workouts all the week but I’m improving the intensity and duration ;)
    These snacks worth trying.
    Happy and Healthy Eating!

All the best,

Gera

Jessica — January 9, 2010 @ 1:59 PM

Congrats on the weight loss! Thanks for hosting the 10 in 10. I am down a pound.

Amanda — January 9, 2010 @ 2:07 PM

Good job! You accomplished a lot in one week! I am taking it slower and tackling one new thing each week. I had a successful week in that I made it through without caffeine. This coming week will be about eliminating desserts and the next will be about exercising.

Lisa @ Stop Eating All The Chocolates — January 9, 2010 @ 2:30 PM

Excellent loss!!! And you did really well with your goals! Thanks so much for doing this and for sharing so much great info! :)

Julie @ Pickley Pear — January 9, 2010 @ 3:53 PM

Lori – I am SOOOO glad you started Ten in ’10. This is so fun and is definitely keeping me motivated. WTG with losing 5lbs, that’s A LOT!!

jennywenny — January 9, 2010 @ 4:01 PM

Cool, thanks also for giving so many a push! Probably the most inspiring thing that has happened so far is that I got my hair cut yesterday and my hairdresser is 8 months pregnant and probably carring more than I need to lose, but as she talked about how hard it was carrying all the extra weight and how she could understand how overweight people were tired all the time it really inspired me to get rid of this 20 lb!

Well done, keep it up!

patsy — January 9, 2010 @ 6:22 PM

Wow! great way to start this challenge! I’m planning to amp up my exercise with weight training next week, and hope to see some more positive changes as I continue on with you!

courtney — January 9, 2010 @ 6:29 PM

Have a safe and fun trip. I just added my link .

VeggieGirl — January 10, 2010 @ 6:35 AM

Keep up the fabulous progress, dear Lori!