Caramel Fig Loaf (Have You Met Lyle?)

Have you had the pleasure of meeting Lyle yet?
CaramelFigBread8
Lyle’s Golden Syrup, that is. It’s pure heaven. It’s not anything like corn syrup, so don’t even think of trying to substitute.  It has the texture of very thick honey and the flavor of toasted brown sugar.  I’ve seen it called for in recipes many times, but since you can’t get this stuff at regular grocery stores in the United States (It’s a UK product), I didn’t really think too much about it…. until I found a Donna Hay recipe for Caramel Fig Loaf. It sounded so good that I simply had to find this little treasure and bake this bread. I found it at a gourmet specialty market (Bristol Farms) but they carry it at World Market too.  Stick your finger in there and take a lick- you’ll love it!
CaramelFigBread3
I was never a fig lover until recently. I love, Love, LOVE fresh figs. The dried ones I don’t care for as much- something about the texture bugs me. I used these golden figs for the recipe, but you certainly can use Black Mission figs too.
CaramelFigBread5
I chopped the figs up very finely since I didn’t want big bites of grainy fig in my bread. Little, diced pieces spread out the figgy love.
CaramelFigLoaf1
I saved a few pieces to sprinkle on top, only because I’m a little fanatical about how my bread will photograph :)
CaramelFigBread7
The name “Caramel” Fig Loaf likely came about because the loaf takes on a toasted caramelly flavor when baked. The recipe calls for demerara sugar, a coarser type of brown sugar. It’s not okay to sub regular old brown sugar for the demerara, but you can also use turbinado sugar. You should be able to find one of those in your market’s baking aisle. The wonderful flavor in the loaf comes from a combination of using the coarse sugar and the delectable Lyle’s Golden Syrup. Make this loaf for a special occasion. The Syrup will set you back about $4.99 a can, but since this recipe only uses 1/4 cup of it… you’ll have plenty left over for other recipes.

It’s important to note that this bread definitely does not fall into the low fat category. It’s a treat that we served up Christmas morning, and I scarfed down much of it- along with the Weight Watchers Cinnamon Rolls that I featured on my other blog. My name is Lori, and I’m a carb addict :(

This recipe can be found HERE.

28 Responses to “Caramel Fig Loaf (Have You Met Lyle?)”

Kay — January 14, 2010 @ 1:29 AM

I use that stuff in everything. Am addicted to it. Was really that, when I posted my Carrot & Orange cupcakes with mascarpone frosting not everyone knew what it was, I didn’t know it was an English product. We only have the glass jars, though.

so Spiffy April — January 14, 2010 @ 2:04 AM

Golden Syrup is the BEST! Do they sell in in the super on the US? The recipe sounds divine!!!! and of course everything looks wonderful.

Esther — January 14, 2010 @ 2:21 AM

Well I’m British so I grew up with it and it is fantastic.. I defy anyone not to get it on ‘accidentally’ get it on their fingers when cook so they have to lick them :) Actually it’s so viscous it’s hard not to end up with some on them. Recipe sounds very tempting!

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 14, 2010 @ 3:42 AM

I am OBSESSED with figs. I eat them every single day! Love ‘em!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 14, 2010 @ 4:37 AM

This sounds so incredible! I LOVE figs!

Ciaochowlinda — January 14, 2010 @ 6:35 AM

This looks positively wonderful!

Fran — January 14, 2010 @ 6:41 AM

I love Lyle’s too. I first heard of it was over 20 years ago when I found a recipe for a pecan tart. I had to ask my grocer to special order it. Now we have it in many of our supermarkets as a staple in the baking aisle.

Your description of it tasting like toasted brown sugar is right on. I could never really place my finger on the appropriate description … no matter how many times I dipped my finger in the jar. ;)

nina — January 14, 2010 @ 7:18 AM

Thank goodness we can find Lyle’s Golden syrup in every shop in SA. The stuff is so addictive, like on a peanut butter sandwich….
    The fig loaf can only be stunning with the intense caramel flavors and those delicious figs!!

K. Anne — January 14, 2010 @ 7:25 AM

You should also be able to get Lyle’s Golden Syrup in Wegman’s grocery store in the Northeast. :) Now if only I could find a set of metric measuring cups. Hmmm…

megan — January 14, 2010 @ 8:00 AM

I love figs and this bread looks wonderful. I’ve seen the golden syrup but I’ve never bought it. Bookmarked for that special occasion!

Mimi — January 14, 2010 @ 8:24 AM

The bread looks delicious . Thanks for the tip on where to buy Lyle’s.
    Mimi

Bob — January 14, 2010 @ 9:22 AM

I’ve been dying to try golden syrup, I haven’t been able to find it around here. The loaf looks wicked good!

Eliana — January 14, 2010 @ 10:05 AM

WOW – this sounds incredibly delicious.

jennywenny — January 14, 2010 @ 10:11 AM

Wow, that looks so delicious. I’m so glad you’ve met lyle, it really is one of the most amazing things! I love it on oatmeal.

I also buy mine at the shakespeare store in San Diego although its a bit pricey. I generally have at least 1 tin stashed away in my suitcase after a trip to the uk (this time it meant I needed to rearrange my entire packing at the check in counter, how embarrassing!)

Barbara — January 14, 2010 @ 10:12 AM

I’ve never heard of Lyles, but I MUST find some. Your loaf looks divine. I’m going to Google it right now. Copying your recipe first, though.

Kait Nolan — January 14, 2010 @ 12:26 PM

I LOVE Lyle’s. It’s fantastic in porridge. Got hooked on it when I lived in Scotland. I usually wind up ordering it online–English Tea Store, I think. Been a while. But it’s so absolutely wonderful and it should be readily available in our US grocery stores.

Maria — January 14, 2010 @ 12:51 PM

Thanks for introducing me to Lyle:) The bread looks amazing! I am glad you are having fun on your trip. I really wish I could of gone. Enjoy the sun for me:)

pigpigscorner — January 14, 2010 @ 12:51 PM

yuuummm yes, I love those stuff!

Gera @ Sweets Foods — January 14, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

The color is so pretty…love figs. It isn’t low fat? Well some workouts can help a little after eaten some of them ;-)

Cheers,

Gera

Foy (Garden. Cook.) — January 14, 2010 @ 5:39 PM

That opening picture of the syrup slowly pouring off the spoon makes me want to go get a spoonful of honey. Yummy and pretty!

Gale Reeves — January 14, 2010 @ 7:23 PM

I’ve seen the golden syrup on Amazon, but I found mine at a large Kroger (I’m in TN). It’s delicious; I can eat it out of the jar….bad for the hips. Your recipe looks delicious.

LilSis — January 14, 2010 @ 7:24 PM

Wow! That bread looks amazing and I am also a carb addict! I better wait until I obtain my weight loss goal before I make this!!

My mom actually has two figs trees and she usually ends up giving them all away because she doesn’t like figs. Unfortunately, she’s in Texas.

Your photos are awesome! Great recipe.

Tina — January 15, 2010 @ 3:50 AM

It reminds me of moonshine syrup that we have out here in the south. It makes the best pecan pie. Moonshine syrup is a cross betweetn honey and corn syrup. All i know is that stuff is deadly good.

The Chef In My Head — January 15, 2010 @ 5:38 AM

This looks delicious!! I have only a recent love for figs as well. I can’t wait to give this a try. – LeslieMichele

Penny Wolf — January 15, 2010 @ 6:16 AM

I would like to mention that the USA has a version of golden syrup and it’s called KINGS.It is made in the south and you can order it from a place called Carriage House.
    Please read the history of this golden syrup as it has been part of this country a very long time. Buy American when you can!

Charles Thompson — January 15, 2010 @ 1:11 PM

This looks so amazing, and I do like figs. I love learning about new ingredients like Lyle’s Golden Syrup and demerara sugar. Thanks!

Katrina — January 15, 2010 @ 9:06 PM

I’ve heard so much about Lyle’s and have never found it out here. But I haven’t looked at World Market, so I’ll have to do that since we have one here.
    Great looking bread!

ThePastryChefAtHome — January 17, 2010 @ 1:00 PM

I always have to have some Lyle’s Golden Syrup whenever I visit the UK! It’s so good! The fig loaf sounds like the perfect breakfast to have with some hot tea on a cold winter day :)