Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Week 3

I’ve been a bit remiss in visiting blogs of the Ten in ’10 Participants this week but I hope you’ll understand… I’ve been in Mexico attending a food blogger’s conference/vacation.  It’s tough to find time for the computer when you’re in a hot & humid climate where all you want to do is lounge around in a beach cabana, sip tropical drinks and take an occasional dip in the ocean.  My Ten in ’10 goals weighed heavily on my mind the entire week and, considering the situation, I think I did pretty well.

*My experience with the challenge this week*

Successes:
*I made good food choices w/ no desserts and no mindless snacking.
*I was able to avoid a lot of really heavy, carb & fat laden Mexican food.
*I succeeded in working out 6/7 days, even while in a tropical paradise.
*I slept 7 to 8 hours every night.

What I’ve Learned….
*Weighing yourself in kilograms is entirely more satisfying than weighing yourself in pounds :)
*You can go on vacation and still make healthy choices.
*You feel better in a bathing suit if you have been working out, even if you still don’t look all that good in it ;)

What I still need to work on…
*will need to detox next week & get re-focused on the healthy plan
*drink more H2O!

Other stuff….
*I have no idea what my weight truly was on my regular weigh in day this week since I was on a strange scale in a strange place.  I’ll get back to my regular weigh in next week.  I’m pretty sure I stayed about the same… which I’m entirely happy with since I was not in a regular routine this week and pretty much drank wine every night (okay, I DID drink wine every night).

Healthy Drinks 6
(NOTE:  none of the brands mentioned have paid me to write about them.  I’m just sharing things that work for me.)

1. FUZE- super low calorie & low sugar, lots of added vitamins. I love this stuff.
2. GREEN TEA (or any tea): When I get the munchies during the day, I make myself a double tall cup of tea. I add a splash of milk and either a packet of Splenda or a spoonful of sugar. Entirely satisfying.
3. PROPEL: If you work out, this is a good alternative to regular water. It’s flavored water that feels like a treat (grape is my favorite).
4. MILK: It’s filling. I usually always have a small cup of milk with breakfast and/or dinner.
5. CRYSTAL GEYSER: This flavored bubbly water is good to have with a slice of lime or lemon. It feels like you’re having a cocktail if you serve it up in a fancy glass.

18 Responses to “Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Week 3”

Divina — January 16, 2010 @ 6:17 AM

Congratulations on our success. That’s great to hear. Your success and other people’s success becomes an inspiration to me and other people doing this challenge.

Lauren — January 16, 2010 @ 7:10 AM

I’m so glad you’re seeing a change – I too am feeling stronger =D.

Emily — January 16, 2010 @ 10:05 AM

Sounds like you had a good week, keep up the good work.

LilSis — January 16, 2010 @ 12:01 PM

Congrats, Lori! Good for you maintaining healthy choices while being in such a tempting place. I’d be dying for Mexican food and Mexican beer if I was in Ixtapa for a week.

I don’t know what happened, but when I submitted the link to my post, it appeared twice in your list. Sorry about that. I just wanted to let you know in case you can delete one of them.

Lori@FakeFoodFree — January 16, 2010 @ 2:23 PM

Ha! Had to laugh at your comment on kilos. I was the same way when we lived in Brazil. I thought hmmm I could get used to this :) Sounds like you had a good trip and I’m glad you had that wine. Important part of wellness is knowing what you truly enjoy and where it’s worth splurging. :)

Lisa @ Stop Eating All The Chocolates — January 16, 2010 @ 2:35 PM

Wow – great job!! It’s amazing what you can do if you just keep focusing on it. I could not have gone without dessert! :) Sounds like a great week! And thanks for sharing those drinks – I’m about to try Propel today for the first time.

Barbara Bakes — January 16, 2010 @ 4:06 PM

With a cruise planned in March, I am glad to hear that you were able to eat healthy on vacation. Good luck getting back to it this week!

megan — January 16, 2010 @ 5:20 PM

Way to go Lori. Maintaining is excellent. And you have to have wine when on vacation!

so Spiffy April — January 16, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

These are great tips… I have green tea here.. all the time, it comes in a 2 liter bottle (pet) or plastic bottle like cola does in the US.. readily avail.. hot or cold. What I not found here as much is naturally flavored water… drinking tea, etc saves me from cheating.. seriously, that and hard candy.

VeggieGirl — January 17, 2010 @ 5:21 AM

Whoo hoo!!! Keep up the fabulous progress, dear Lori!!

Dorothy — January 17, 2010 @ 10:52 AM

Thanks for sharing what drinks work for you. I’ve tried quitting Diet Coke ‘cold turkey’ before, only to get massive headaches and a very irritable disposition. Gotta wean myself off of it! :)

jennywenny — January 17, 2010 @ 11:43 AM

Good for you, I think vacations can be a lot more fun when you’re not constantly full up and miserable from overeating, which is what I used to do ( having said that, I definitely ate too much on a recent trip to sedona!)

It works best for us if my husband has his bacon in the morning, so its usually a big breakfast, then a very small healthy lunch in the middle of the day, which cuts down. I always try to avoid all inclusive deals and buffets.

ThePastryChefAtHome — January 17, 2010 @ 1:06 PM

Congratulations on your successes! I must say something about your comment on “heavy, carb and fat laden Mexican food.” You’re in a super touristy part of Mexico that doesn’t reflect the true cuisine of the country. Like Italian food, it’s regional so most of it isn’t actually carb and fat laden at all!

GIGI — January 17, 2010 @ 6:15 PM

LOVE YOUR # 5 and # 1 isn’t so bad either!!! Have you ever heard of… the SODA STREAM??? My sister got it for me for X-Mas and I am in love! You can make your own carbonated water!!!

Here’s the link to it’s website… if you’re curious: http://www.sodastreamusa.com/?gclid=CIKE0NPurJ8CFQxbagod7E0d1w

Good Work on everything else and keep it up!

Shannon — January 18, 2010 @ 3:20 AM

I think this is such a great challenge! Good for ALL OF YOU who are doing it. A couple of interesting things about green tea-milk negates most of it’s benefits so try not to use it, also the cold/pre-made packaged stuff has NONE of the great benefits of the leaf tea, sorry if that’s a bummer to any of you, but fresh hot green tea with a spoonful of organic honey is the best thing and so comforting!

Marla — January 18, 2010 @ 6:14 AM

Glad to hear you had such a great trip and that u stayed on plan!! Doesn’t it feel grand to not overindulge even while on a trip? I am a big fan of that Green Tea drink idea.

Jen Schall — January 18, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

Glad you had a good time on your trip to Mexico and were able to stay on track! I have never tried Fuze, but I think I will give it a try… Sounds great!

patsy — January 19, 2010 @ 9:48 AM

Great job staying on track while being in such a tropical paradise!