Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Week 4 (Plus Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies!)

Ten in Ten470
Three weeks into the Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge and I’m still getting requests for people to join along. We’re up to 336 participants from 41 states & 15 countries! It seems that a lot of folks are hoping for a little support in their healthy journey, and that’s what this challenge is all about. Ten weeks isn’t going to magically change anyone’s lives forever, but my hope is that these ten weeks will give you a jump-start on making lifelong positive, healthy changes. There are always stumbling blocks (read mine below) but you can always pick up and continue where you left off- your health is worth it.

I love food. I love shopping for it, I love creating recipes for it, I love preparing it, I love to photograph it and I love to eat it.  I guess that’s why I maintain a website with over 2,500 recipes and growing!  I think it’s especially tough for those of us in the food biz to manage our intake.  I try to tell myself that I can cook normally and watch my portions.  Sometimes that works just fine, and sometimes not.  If I exercise enough then it usually all seems to balance out.  I haven’t had it easy the past couple of weeks… I managed to lose a couple of pounds while in Mexico for a week (mostly because I exercised every day and then got sick at the end of the trip), and then this past week I came down with a bad cold/cough, etc…. and the last thing I feel like eating when I’m sick is healthy stuff.

*My experience with the challenge this week*

Successes:
*I was sick, so although I ate more “comfort food” than usual, I didn’t eat much of it.
*I found myself wandering into the pantry when I was bored, but then I realized I wasn’t hungry so I left :)
*I stayed away from desserts (except for a few healthy cookies- see below…)
*I drank a lot of tea.
*I slept a lot, and I even took naps this week.
*A few nice folks nominated me for a Shorty Award for #10in10 & #health- wow! http://bit.ly/shorty

What I’ve Learned….
*Salad isn’t on your mind at all when you have a sore throat.
*The very thought of exercise goes completely out the window when you have a bad cold.
*I’m completely open to adding two weeks onto the end of my challenge, since these last two weeks got me off track a bit.

What I still need to work on…
*getting better so I can get back to exercising again!

Other stuff….
*I’m happy that my weight has stayed down.  I’ve lost a total of 7 pounds in the last three weeks.  I’m pretty bummed about the interruption in my exercise, but I do hope to resume my routine soon.
*I made a great, new chocolate chip cookie recipe!
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies contain a secret ingredient: Dates! WAIT… let me explain. I HATE DATES. Really, I do. My grandmother used to make date-filled cookies that I barely choked down so I didn’t hurt her feelings. In these cookies though, they are very finely chopped and just add an element of sweetness. In the finished cookie, I really can’t tell that the dates are in there at all (and my 8 year old easily gulped down three without questioning any weird flavor… really, there is none!)  A chopped chocolate bar (instead of chocolate chips) ensures that little shards of melted chocolate are spread out into all areas of the cookie.

The best part: Each cookie is only 99 calories (and 2.5 Weight Watcher points). Immediately after baking these, I put each cookie into its own individual zip baggie and threw them all in the freezer. I’m less likely to munch on them when they’re tucked away in the freezer, it’s easy to take just one out when I’m ready for a treat, and they’re ready to throw in my little one’s lunchbox too.

The recipe for the cookies can be found here: Healthy Chocolate Chip- Oatmeal Cookies

18 Responses to “Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Week 4 (Plus Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies!)”

Divina — January 23, 2010 @ 7:14 AM

Congratulations on your nomination. And you’re doing great with your challenge. Hope you’re feeling better now. Salad is last on my list whenever I have a sore throat. But there’s a bonus, your healthy chocolate chip cookie.

Stephanie — January 23, 2010 @ 7:25 AM

Yay! I was searching for a “healthier” chocolate chip cookie yesterday – and now I have this! Thanks! I am looking forward to trying it out.
    You’re doing great on the challenge – thanks for the motivation. Hope you feel better quickly!

Jen Schall — January 23, 2010 @ 7:28 AM

Your cookies look great. I hate dates, too, but I trust you… so I think I’ll give them a try! I recently picked up the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Cookbook, and there are lots of whole grain cookies in there. I think I’ll have to work on some of those, too. Hope you’re feeling better soon!

doodles — January 23, 2010 @ 8:39 AM

I also have lost 7 lbs and honestly don’t know how??
    Healthy chocolate chip cookies are intriguing and a big date lover here. Grew up in date country.
    Must just keep on doing!!! HA!

Lori — January 23, 2010 @ 9:34 AM

Hope you start feeling better. A cold is no fun, that’s for sure. I rocked out my 5 mile long run this AM so the half marathon training is going well! I made some chocolate chip cookies too, decided to try them out with virgin coconut oil. Great idea with the dates. I need to try baking more with those for sweetness. I’ll have to give these a try. Have a great week!

Sarah, MaisonCupcake — January 23, 2010 @ 1:07 PM

It’s really keeping me on track knowing that lots of us are striving for similar goals at same time. I’ve lost 6-7lb since New Year, still a stone or so to go but 3 weeks in and I’m still highly motivated. Thanks, I don’t think I would have managed this alone. x

Misty — January 23, 2010 @ 1:16 PM

ok… i want to try these cookies… i didn’t see where to link my post, but that’s ok…

so sorry you are sick but you are doing good!

Misty — January 23, 2010 @ 1:17 PM

nevermind… it just hadn’t loaded properly!

LilSis — January 23, 2010 @ 2:12 PM

Congrats on the nomination! Sorry to hear that you’ve been sick! I’m still impressed that you lost weight while in Mexico! I would have gained five pounds from the Mexican food and cervezas! :-)

VeggieGirl — January 23, 2010 @ 5:02 PM

Hope you’re 100% well soon, dear Lori!! And hooray for the award nomination :)

Louise — January 23, 2010 @ 6:49 PM

Kudos to you! I too dislike dates, but, if you say they’re good, then good they must be!!! Feel better:) Thanks for sharing…

Lisa @ Stop Eating All The Chocolates — January 23, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

Great job on the loss so far! Hope you are feeling much better. I’m the same way when I’m sick, but at least there are lots of healthy soups I enjoy! Wonderful recipe!!

Kristen — January 23, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

Those are some nummy looking cookies! Luckily I do not own a scale but I am trying to eat better and healthier for your 10in10. Soup has been my saving grace :) Now I am going to enjoy some cookies too!!!

moowiesqrd — January 24, 2010 @ 9:25 PM

Feel better! And congrats on the nom and losing 7 pounds. I think I’m just going to cheer you guys on from the sidelines as I get back into working out. Keep up the good work!

Marla — January 25, 2010 @ 6:16 AM

Lori, I love your honesty! Hope you are feeling all better. Smart to pack each cookie away in the freezer in an individual baggie. They look delicious! I love the idea of the dates. Isn’t it interesting how we do a tour of the pantry when we are bored? It is hard to step away empty handed, but you did it! Didn’t that power and self control feel awesome!
    Hopefully u can work out again soon :)

Simone (junglefrog) — January 27, 2010 @ 2:35 AM

Hope you are feeling better soon! By the way I am from the Netherlands. Noticed that you have me in unknown territory…:)

Julie @ Pickley Pear — January 28, 2010 @ 4:29 PM

Sometimes a week off exercising is just what your body needs to jumpstart back up next week! I hope you are feeling better. 7lbs. is awesome, slow and steady, that’s the key to lasting weight loss!

Amanda — January 31, 2010 @ 5:37 AM

I have to say, I saw these in my rss feed this week and starred them because I wanted to try making them. I did, and they were absolutely amazing! I added some orange zest to the batter too. Num num! You’re right about the dates; they just add a nice chewy texture to the cookie.