Game Day Grub: Taco Soup

My brother has always had quite a fond attachment to Fritos.  As a kid he chose Fritos over any other type of chip-like snack, popping them into his chili and tucking them underneath the tuna in his tunafish sandwiches.  I never understood the appeal of Fritos, really.  A handful of them leaves you with a most unpleasant greasy-sheen on your fingers, and then there’s that corny aftertaste that leaves you wondering how the heck you’re going to get that flavor out of your mouth.  They are, however, essential for this super easy, perfect-for-Game-Day Taco Soup recipe that I adapted from Paula Deen.

This is such an easy, no-brainer recipe that it’s tough to really even call it a recipe. Lots of cans get opened and dumped into a big pot for simmering. The extent of the cooking is browning the ground beef, turkey and onions. Why is this perfect for Game Day? It makes a large pot, and with the added fixins’, it feeds a ton of hungry football-watching crazies.

See how easy? Just set up a Taco Soup Bar and let your guests have at it. The “Soup” is really more the consistency of chili and the topping ideas are endless… chopped bell peppers, onions, guacamole, chopped lettuce…  the Fritos (or any sort of corn chips) are not optional- they simply make this recipe what it is!

There you go- wonderful grub for a football game :)

I spent some time with my brother on vacation last summer where we were saddled with the task of making sandwiches for the family to take to the beach. I set about making several Ham & Swiss sandwiches and some pb&j for the kids. My brother was focused on what he wanted: tunafish. I snuck a peek and realized that he hadn’t changed a bit. He neatly stacked a layer of Fritos onto his tuna before he laid down that top slice of bread. I’ve tried this creation of his, and I do have to admit… Fritos are quite a nice addition :)

The recipe for Taco Soup can be found here: Taco Soup.

28 Responses to “Game Day Grub: Taco Soup”

Mason — January 28, 2010 @ 1:50 AM

This is one of the best taco soups I’ve ever seen!!! YUMMMMMMMY! I love how the toppings you put on them.

P.S. “Jalapeños” has a tilde on the “n”. :)

• Lori Lange replied: — January 28th, 2010 @ 5:48 AM

Mason- yep, it’s good. I’m aware of the tilde, just was lazy in searching for the symbol ;)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 28, 2010 @ 4:56 AM

Oh this looks so good!

This reminds me of “Frito Pie” I use to eat it all the time when I was younger :)

Michelle — January 28, 2010 @ 6:30 AM

Around here, you can get a “walking taco” which seems about the same, but the chips are kept in the bag. You use the little individual bags, toss in the rest of your ingredients and you’ve got a walking taco.

Gina — January 28, 2010 @ 6:52 AM

Too funny I just made some this week and tweeted about it as well. I use blue corn tortilla chips and enough to share at work so good, I like your pics

nina — January 28, 2010 @ 7:06 AM

I have a couple of packets in my secret snack cupboard.Yip, I am ready to make this grub!!!

Amanda — January 28, 2010 @ 8:04 AM

Wow, my husband would go nuts for this! It looks like such a hearty and filling meal.

Katie — January 28, 2010 @ 8:14 AM

Also reminds me of Frito pie. This looks delicious! Why did I decide to give up processed foods again? :)

Yea... — January 28, 2010 @ 8:23 AM

This is a Walking Taco without the Frito bag… Take those ingredients, put them IN a Frito bag and then you can eat it with a fork and there’s no mess.

Richard Stevens — January 28, 2010 @ 8:46 AM

This is making my mouth water!!
    Great photos!

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. — January 28, 2010 @ 9:00 AM

My husband refuses to eat chili unless there are Fritos on top. I roll with it – they do add a good crunch, and he gets his serving of veggies for the day.

LOVE the tablecloth in the photos!

Margaret — January 28, 2010 @ 9:06 AM

Love taco soup. This looks warm and comforting. And hot with those jalapenos.

Pink Panda — January 28, 2010 @ 9:14 AM

I’ve never had taco soup, but I guess I’ll have to try it now ;) .

Bob — January 28, 2010 @ 11:19 AM

That looks amazing. I’m not a big fritos fan either, too greasy.

Barbara — January 28, 2010 @ 12:06 PM

That’s good looking grub all right. Yummy photos….and great for Super Bowl parties.
    I’m a fritos sneak so I don’t keep them in the house!

Kelly — January 28, 2010 @ 12:29 PM

This looks great! And the kids could not only help make it, but they could eat only the parts they like :D

Jen Schall — January 28, 2010 @ 1:18 PM

Yum! I haven’t had fritos in a very long time, and now I’m craving them! This soup looks amazing. Hubs would love it.

cookiepie — January 28, 2010 @ 1:42 PM

MMMMMM – that looks so rich and delicious!

leslie — January 28, 2010 @ 2:12 PM

mmmm.the fritos is what makes it for me

Christine — January 28, 2010 @ 6:16 PM

This is not something I ever would have considered making on my own, but I have to tell you, it looks amazing and I might be inspired to cook with Fritos!

bellini valli — January 29, 2010 @ 4:20 AM

Did I hear Paula Dean…I am willing to head South for today.

Nick — January 29, 2010 @ 6:17 AM

Only Paula Deen…I prefer homemade tortilla chips with my chili although I gotta say it does sound quite appealing with Fritos! That reminds me of a joke by the late comedian Mitch Hedburg about “Texas Grilled” Fritos they used to make (still make?) which oddly had grill marks on them.

Lynn — January 29, 2010 @ 7:49 AM

You’re a genius! This is perfect game day food – hearty, manly, and won’t drip on the carpet (much).

bridget {bake at 350 — January 29, 2010 @ 8:26 AM

This is making me SO hungry! Perfect for this “cold” weather we’re having in Houston!

Love the assembly pics!

Louise — January 29, 2010 @ 1:46 PM

Cool Taco Soup Lori…As I was reading your post, I was thinking about a few other Game Day recipes I’ve come across lately. I was delighted to find such a variety and wondered whether they were all in one place. Lo and behold, you have a group of them posted. Thank you so much for sharing and thank you for reminding me (I think:) about how Fritos do have a way of adding a “punch” to a recipe!!!

Gwen — January 29, 2010 @ 4:20 PM

This looks so yummy! My husband’s snack weakness is Fritos! Thank goodness we are going to a friend’s house for the Superbowl. I might make this and we would eat it all by ourselves!;)

LilSis — January 30, 2010 @ 7:02 PM

This taco soup recipe is very similar to what we call frito pie. Don’t ask me where that came from because I have no clue… Doesn’t resemble a pie at all.

I never serve my chili without a bowl of fritos, grated cheese, onions, and sour cream and it’s always a hit! Perfect for feeding a large crowd for a football game!

Great photos!!

Kerstin — January 30, 2010 @ 8:25 PM

This is the perfect winter meal! I recently made Frito candy (from Cookie Madness) and was reminded about how yummy they are!