Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Week 5 (+ recipes & i-pod song recs)

I’ve just finished up the first four weeks of the Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge and I’m moving on to week 5. The challenge technically ends on March 13th. For me, the challenge will extend to March 27th (vacation & sick week caused a 2 week delay), though I fully intend to stay on my healthy journey indefinitely (but rather strictly until June).

I’m still pumped-up about the challenge and I’m loving seeing everyone’s posts and tweets about making healthy changes.  It sure feels great when you make positive, healthy changes in your life, doesn’t it?

*My experience with the challenge this week*

Successes:
*Baking a few decadent treats this week and not nibbling beyond taste-tests. I even had a couple of open bags of chocolate chips and didn’t eat any of them at all- not-a-one.
*My weight stayed the same this week, which I was totally happy with.  I’m still down a total of 7 pounds from the start date.  I’d like to see a loss next week though.

What I’ve Learned….
*When I begin the day with a good workout, I feel great & positive all day long.
*If I’ve screwed up for a day (or a week), tomorrow is a new day… and it’s usually one where I’m even more energized and motivated than before.

What I still need to work on…
*Resisting wine at 5pm every day. It’s a hard habit to break!
*Get back into the routine of everyday workouts.
*Not letting stressful mornings get me down & blow off workout & healthy eating habits.
*Drinking water!!  If anyone has tips for how to improve this problem, please let me know.  I just don’t think about drinking much water during the day (unless it’s during and after a workout).

Other stuff….
I have songs to recommend for those of you who like to use an i-pod when you exercise (I could never, ever feel motivated enough to exercise if I didn’t have bouncy, boppy music pounding in my ear for an hour). Last year, I published a blog post called “Top 100 Exercise Songs For Your iPod,” so check out that post if you’re interested.

I tried three wonderful, low fat recipes last week that I’d like to share with you:

Greek Orzo & Lemon- Chicken Soup- It was filling enough for dinner, especially when accompanied by a whole grain roll.  My kiddo liked it too but wanted less of the dill flavor.

Baby Spinach Salad with Warm Citrus-Bacon Vinaigrette- the recipe only serves two, so it was perfect to make and then have for lunch over two days time.  The mango and apple are wonderful in this salad & since raspberries aren’t in season you can always leave those out.

Black Bean- Mango Burritos:  I enjoyed these for lunch, and my son enjoyed them for dinner.  He initially thought that putting mango and black beans together was a strange idea, but he came around and ended up loving the combination.

22 Responses to “Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Week 5 (+ recipes & i-pod song recs)”

Hungry Jenny — January 30, 2010 @ 3:09 AM

To remind myself to drink water, I used to keep a 2-litre bottle on my desk and fill it up every morning – then it was infront of me all day and I’d aim to finish it before leaving work :-)

I don’t do that anymore though mainly because I prefer drinking hot water!

Hungry Jenny x

Lauren — January 30, 2010 @ 4:07 AM

In order to drink the recommended amount of water (and then some), I bring an aluminum water bottle full of cold water to work with me – and refill it throughout the day. I’ve found that if it’s sitting on my desk, I’ll mindlessly sip it all day. Water is one thing I don’t mind consuming mindlessly!

Sarah — January 30, 2010 @ 5:23 AM

Thanks for sharing the song recommendations! I’ve been looking for some new tunes. I am also going to try that black bean/mango burrito this week. I had a little burrito debacle this past week when I added cinnamon instead of cumin – accidentally – to my veggie burritos!

Jessica — January 30, 2010 @ 6:11 AM

I always have my bottles of water ready to go and visible with me. I try to drink a gallon by about 4-5pm (that includes when working out, and this way I’m not up all night going to the bathroom!). I’ve been doing this for about 6-7 years and it first I did have to ‘force’ it down. But it makes me feel so much more alert, makes my skin look better, and keeps my hunger in check! I have done it so many ways – maybe try filling up two 1 liter bottles of water and make it a goal of drinking it throughout the day?

Gwen — January 30, 2010 @ 6:53 AM

That’s funny about the music! I have been singing along with my iPod on the treadmill. It’s the only way to keep moving! I mix it up and drink filtered water and alternate with mineral water throughout the day. That way I do not get as bored with it. Sounds like we are having the same struggles. Keep up the weight loss. That’s great! By the way, the dishes look great! I will have to give them a try.

Lynn — January 30, 2010 @ 7:01 AM

High fives! It sounds like you’re doing great. I am always chilly (not your problem, oh California girl) so I drink hot water all day long.

maria — January 30, 2010 @ 7:07 AM

The challenge is flying by! I posted healthy snack ideas today. Keep up the good work. I love your recipe ideas!

Divina — January 30, 2010 @ 7:12 AM

Drinking water is really a challenge. Sometimes I remember, sometimes I don’t. Most of the time I ignore. But glad to see some positive changes. These are motivations for all of us. Thanks. Love the dishes too. They’re so colorful and mouth watering.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} — January 30, 2010 @ 7:38 AM

That salad looks so good! I had a rough week. Hubby was out of town and I had a lot to do (deadlines, errands, cleaning), so I was a lot more tired than a typical week and I only exercised once. I’m going to get in a workout and weight training today so at least that will be twice.

Manggy — January 30, 2010 @ 7:56 AM

Congratulations on your progress so far! It’s always easier when you have delicious (but healthy!) food to help you on your way :)

sarahw5484 — January 30, 2010 @ 7:57 AM

i also always have water with me–i have a 64 ounce bottle that i keep with me at all times–i usually drink 2 a day! For me it’s just a habit, but I also take a sip any time i hear someone mention being thirsty, wanting a drink, water, etc…

Foy (Garden. Cook.) — January 30, 2010 @ 9:54 AM

I work from home so I don’t have to remember to drag my water everywhere which has made it so much easier for me to remember to drink. My new MO is to make a 4 cup pot of coffee which me and the husband split. Then I clean out the coffee maker and run water through it and put a green tea bag in the carafe. Wala! Gree tea kept warm. I then work on drinking about 16 cups of green tea through out the day. My green tea does taste a bit like coffee, but it doesn’t bother me.

Moira — January 30, 2010 @ 11:53 AM

Your blog is so inspiring! I recently started my own blog this year to document my attempts at cooking and to keep track of my Weight Watchers accomplishments. It lets me know that I’m not the only one out there sharing.

If you don’t mind, I’d love to link to your blog in my blogroll so that others have a chance to try some of your recipes, as well. :)

April Marie — January 30, 2010 @ 6:02 PM

OH… the black bean burrito.. YUM….. I need to buy some wheat tortillas!!

VeggieGirl — January 31, 2010 @ 4:28 AM

Drinking water = add TONS of water to oats! :)

Marla — January 31, 2010 @ 8:42 AM

Lori, great post! All these recipes are unique and well balanced!
    I think I am one of the very few that works out without music. I know it is strange. I am used to so much noise around me all the time I actually like the peace during my w/o! Your playlist is great though, I can use it while I cook!
    Congrats on not munching on those Chocolate Chips…that is a very hard habit to break!!

Tracie@hollafoodzone — January 31, 2010 @ 10:12 AM

That spinach salad looks like a winner! Thanks for the iPod link – I’m always looking for new tunes for my workouts.

Mel @ A Box of Chocolates — January 31, 2010 @ 12:45 PM

I’ve been looking for some good workout music so thanks for sharing your pix! The recipes this week look yummy. I can’t wait to try that soup.

Lisa — January 31, 2010 @ 4:54 PM

Love your blog! I use a straw during the day and I find I end up drinking a lot more water… seems like using a straw takes less effort.:)

patsy — January 31, 2010 @ 6:14 PM

So good to read that you were able to resist those open bags of chocolate chips! Definitely a weekness for me, too! Looks like you also found some wonderful new recipes this week. A success overall!

Lisa @ Stop Eating All The Chocolates — January 31, 2010 @ 11:31 PM

So impressed that you didn’t eat chocolate chips! I have such a hard time with “sampling” while I’m baking. As far as the drinking water, I struggle with it myself. Maybe if we try to drink a glass every time we eat something? Or maybe require drinking a glass of water before each glass of other drinks (drink a glass of water to “earn” a cup of coffee)? I might try those ideas this week!

Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog — February 3, 2010 @ 7:49 PM

To not eat chocolate chips near you is a good success! A tip to drink more water is convert it to lemonade, that can be more refreshing after workouts.

Have a great week,