Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge Update: How Do You Stay Motivated?

On Jan. 2nd we began the ten week healthy challenge with 341 people.  Each has been contending with their own goals and using their own tools and methods for implementing healthy changes.   I have no idea how many participators are still following along since healthy commitments are tough to stick with.   I’d love to hear an update on how you’re doing in the comments below.

As the organizer of this challenge, I’d like to say I’ve been perfect.   I haven’t.  I’ve stumbled along the way with vacation, illness, parties, fits of baking & tasting, etc.  But I’ve still managed to drag myself to the gym at least a few times a week and I feel so much better about myself when I do.  What’s different about this challenge than other goals I’ve set is that I’m still got something I’m working toward.  I’m definitely still very much in the midst of this challenge and am committed to making healthy changes in my life.  It will take longer than ten weeks, I know.  I’m okay with that too.  Change doesn’t happen overnight.  It does help to think about what my motivations are.

10 things that are keeping me motivated:
1.  Summer vacation: It’ll be on the beach.  Bathing suits are miserable when you’re feeling pudgy.
2.  High School reunion: Need I say more?
3.  How I feel after a workout: Pumped up to continue this journey.
4.  My mood: Lets face it, I’m more fun to be around when I feel good about myself.
5.  My jeans: The cute ones are making an appearance again.
6.  5K race: I’m working toward running my first race in April.
7.  My husband: He’s eating healthy & exercising too.  Yay!
8.  The scale: I’ve lost 8 pounds :)
9.  The California sunshine: Makes me want to go outside & be active.
10.  Julie Van Rosendaal: This woman is amazing.  Not only was she the originator of the BlogAid cookbook, but she also lost 165 pounds in a normal, healthy manner.  Read her story HERE- it’s a fabulous article.

I hope you’re able to find some motivators to keep you going too. As Julie says in her article, she made exercise non-negotiable.  Having had friends who could not opt out of chemo or radiation or dialysis if their schedule didn’t permit it or if they were having a rough day, Julie decided to schedule exercise first and no longer complain about it.  What a great concept!

I can’t leave you without a recipe, can I?  Here’s a wonderful soup that I had around the house all week.  It was filling and nutritious for lunch, especially with a good chunk of whole grain bread dunked in it.

Italian Vegetable Soup

16 Responses to “Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge Update: How Do You Stay Motivated?”

Katie @ goodLife {eats} — February 13, 2010 @ 7:14 AM

My motivations are definitely my mood and energy. Both are considerably better when I’m exercising. Also, my accountability. A friend in another state and I are both doing the 30 day shred. She calls every day on her way home from work and we talk about how it is going together. I don’t want to say I didn’t do it. It’s definitely starting to become a way of life now.

LilSis — February 13, 2010 @ 7:57 AM

Some of your motivators are the same as mine. I’m buying myself a new swimsuit once I reach my goal weight. As you well know, here in Southern California, we’ll be heading to the beach in suits in just a month or so. I’ve also got a high school reunion in July so that’s also helping me keep my eye on my goal.

I have friends that will tell me that they are surprised I’m able to workout every day. I just tell them that for me, it’s not an option. I have to for my own sanity. Even on days when it’s hard to get out to door, I always feel better after a good workout!

Thanks again for starting this challenge!

melpy — February 13, 2010 @ 8:19 AM

So far things have been going really well. Lost 17 lbs so far but haven’t been working out as often I as I want to. Goal is 15 more by march 31st. Our (my boyfriend and I) motivation at the moment is the family Biggest Loser bet where you win $600 if you lose the most percentage by March 31st. I doubt I’ll win but I want to keep losing after the contest. I just want to feel healthier.

Heather — February 13, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

I’ve made my challenge (10 lbs in 10 weeks) and am still committed. Packing my own lunches instead of eating out has really helped. I never could get myself motivated to pack a lunch just for financial reasons (my time is also worth money). Realizing how much healthier my home-made meals are (and still delicious) gave me enough inspiration to do this more. I’m working out every day, realizing that I can still count a non-strenuous workout (an hour walk, for example). I feel great. Thanks for sharing in this with the rest of us.

Sarah, MaisonCupcake — February 13, 2010 @ 1:02 PM

I am still sticking to my goals and have lost 13lb since New Year. I would like to lose at least another stone, better still two and am seeing this as a long term commitment beyond ten weeks. I am so grateful to you Lori for initiating this challenge as I’ve found it so motivating to feel like lots of other people are doing it at the same time.

Hungry Jenny — February 13, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

Hi

It’s interesting that you posted about motivation this week because up until now, I’ve been able to keep myself motivated and push myself most days to focus on my goals. This week though, I’ve realised that mood is a major factor for my personal motivation as I’ve been feeling low this week and subsequently all of my goals have slipped.

I too plan to continue my goals past the 10-week mark and build on them more to stay healthy so it’s not over yet!

Hungry Jenny x

Meagan with an A — February 13, 2010 @ 6:22 PM

Still going strong! I am down 4 pounds and feeling mostly good. I say mostly because my motivation has definitely waxed and waxed and waned as life and work has become stressful.

I am staying strong … my wedding is in just over 6 months!!

Julie — February 13, 2010 @ 7:58 PM

This week Philadelphia was hit with two blizzards so staying on track this week was difficult because we couldn’t get out of the house but otherwise it’s going great! One of my original goals was to train for a 5K in March. Training is going so well that now my friends and I have picked out several races over the next eight months to train for including a half-marathon in LA in October. #10in10 kicked off a healthy year for me and I’m so excited about the journey it has become that I’ve started a blog about our journey as we train for all these races. I have learned during the last six weeks that this isn’t just a ten-week challenge, it has turned into a healthy lifestyle…and I think that was the idea behind the challenge.

So thanks for introducing this challenge!

Girl Japan — February 14, 2010 @ 1:02 AM

I love all your goals… how do I stay motived.. I just bought a new machine.. needed something more challenging, besides counting calories… I bike hard for 40min and my legs feel like rubber.. but what has kept me motivated is looking at myself naked everyday… and spring is coming, which means summer and …. feeling good about a bathing suit, plus when I feel good everything around me goes well.. KWIM

Denise — February 14, 2010 @ 10:37 AM

Lori, I’m so grateful to you for this challenge. You provided the motivation and support that I needed to commit myself once and for all to building a healthy lifestyle. I started out on New Year’s Day eating all of my meals away from home – fast food for the most part – and totally sedentary, and now I’m getting my 5 fruits and veggies a day and then some, doing yoga twice a week, burning over 1,000 calories a week through exercise, and I haven’t binged in three weeks. Most importantly, I feel like a million bucks, so THANK YOU, Lori!!!

Lisa @ Stop Eating All The Chocolates — February 14, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

What motivates me is having to check in and having friends give me pep talks! And I am so glad to see some CA sunshine as it improves my mood and helps motivate me too! Thanks again for doing this challenge!

Julie @ Pickley Pear — February 15, 2010 @ 6:51 AM

My motivation is finding clothes in the back of my closet that I haven’t worn in 2 years that fit like a glove! Thanks again for this awesome challenge, keep up the great work!

Ashley — February 15, 2010 @ 4:58 PM

I’ve lost 7 pounds without even meaning to! And I’m working out like crazy in the morning. It’s been great! :-D

patsy — February 16, 2010 @ 8:32 AM

I haven’t posted an update for 10 in ’10 in a bit, but I’m still working on it. My workouts are increasing and making me feel good, the scale isn’t cooperating and I’m working on tweaking what I eat to hopefully finally see some downward trends there.

marla {family fresh — February 18, 2010 @ 5:49 AM

Lori, I have to say that the biggest thing I have gained (yes, I said the word GAIN!) from the Ten in 10 are fabulous new friends. I can’t wait to meet you guys later this year at the different food blog conventions. I love coming to visit your blog daily. You are so fun and have loads of great inspiration to share with us :)
    Motivation: I have lots of it, but need to revisit and recalibrate each day. I feel way to junky in the head and the body not to exercise. Some days hurt much more than others, but I do it!!

lizykat — February 27, 2010 @ 6:26 PM

I admit I fell off the wagon, somewhere in the middle of the 10 week plan although I am duly impressed with Julie’s story and find hers a very honest approach to weight control… thanks so much for including the link. and thanks as well for the 10 week plan, 20 week or whatever it takes, right? :)