Ten in ’10 “Week 8″ Update & Healthy Muffin Recipe to Share

Trudging along on the ten week healthy challenge, it sure hasn’t been easy. Good days are abundant but bad days have haunted me too. With two “official” weeks to go, I’m re-visiting my original goals to take a peek at how I’m doing…

Here are my original goals-:
*lose weight- goal of 15-20 lbs. in 10 weeks, and then more after that. (have lost 8 so far- my husband has lost 17!)
*exercise 6 days/wk. trying to get in at least 1 to 1 ½ hours per day, when possible (have avg’d 3-4 days/wk for at least an hour)
*work up to at least 150 ab crunches & strength/arm training each day (I’ve been doing about 75 on workout days)
*drink a lot more water (I’m trying…)
*eat meals with higher protein + lots of veggies (pretty good about this, though I’m probably eating too many carbs)
*not do any mindless emotional eating & don’t eat in front of the computer (definitely have improved here)
*prepare healthier meals for my family (yes! But we’ve had some treats thrown in too)
*When recipe testing, I’ll give myself permission to have a small taste for testing purposes only. No scarfing down the goods! (sometimes I’m good at this)
*work on improving my sleeping habits (still working on this)
*train for 5K & 10K too (plan to run my 1st 5K in April)

I hope you’re on the road to eating well and keeping your body healthy too :)  You might notice that I bake a lot around here on this blog, but I usually give most of it away to friends.  I have a great love for baking but I try to make my desire to fit into my cute jeans outweigh my desire to eat the goods.  This challenge (for me) will continue all the way to summer.  I’m still determined to lose a total of 20 to 30 lbs. total by June!

Here’s a healthier muffin recipe that I created recently.  It’s a banana muffin that is sweetened with honey.  Instead of mixing chocolate chips into the batter, I sprinkled mini chocolate chips onto the top of each muffin instead.  It saves a lot of calories to do it that way, and you still get the chocolate in every single bite!  These muffins have 164 calories, 2.2 grams of fat and 3 weight watcher points:  Honey- Sweetened Low Fat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.

These are delicious, they’re kid-friendly and they freeze well too.

The recipe can be found here: Honey Sweetened Low Fat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.

14 Responses to “Ten in ’10 “Week 8″ Update & Healthy Muffin Recipe to Share”

The Italian Dish — February 27, 2010 @ 8:43 PM

Wow, impressive! I give you credit, great job! Why do men seem to lose more weight, though? It’s maddening! The muffins look so good – I’ll have to jump on over and check out the recipe.

Emily — February 27, 2010 @ 8:47 PM

Those muffins look amazing! Great job on the 10in10 so far! For me in regards to water, I get a huge (I mean HUGE) water bottle and carry it with me throughout the day. I drink from it without even thinking and when it’s empty, I refill it as soon as possible. Drinking 16 ounces as soon as I wake up helps me to get energized for the day too.

VeggieGirl — February 28, 2010 @ 4:10 AM

Fabulous!!

By the way, I’m making STELLAR progress on my goals in this “10 in 10″ challenge :)

Jamie — February 28, 2010 @ 6:29 AM

Great progress! Those muffins are gorgeous!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} — February 28, 2010 @ 8:39 AM

I am going to have to make these muffins. My kids will love them! I like finding healthier treats for them.

I have been working out at least 4 days a week and have moved up to level 3 on the 30 day shred. I’m pretty proud of myself for that since I was coming from 1 day (or none) of exercise a week. On my off days from the video I do strength training.

I have so much more energy now and it’s become a way of life. I’m not going to revert back to no exercise when the challenge is up. I love the way I feel now (emotionally and physically)!

LilSis — February 28, 2010 @ 11:21 AM

Hi Lori,
    I’m still focused on my goals. I had an emotional week last week because my son left for his Naval Basic Training in IL. So, I had a week with no weight loss because of poor meal planning but luckily I got my daily workouts in every day.

We’ve got company coming in tomorrow so that’s another force to reckon with when it comes to meal planning and healthy eating.

Glad to hear you and your husband are both on track.

Your muffins look awesome! :-)

Melissa — February 28, 2010 @ 3:07 PM

Nice job!!!! I’m doing well on my 2010 challenge too! I’m going to make those muffins. They look awesome and for 3 pts…yeehaw!!

Laura — February 28, 2010 @ 6:34 PM

I’m absolutely going to try this one! Thanks – I love muffins, but I want to cut the calories! Thanks!

Sarah Olson — February 28, 2010 @ 8:29 PM

I can get on board with a healthy muffin that still has chocolate chips. Now where did I put those muffin tins…?

Terri A — March 1, 2010 @ 8:46 AM

Great job on your goals. It’s hard, isn’t it?? I’ve been doing good with my workouts, but not quite as good with my eating.

The muffins look great! Great idea about sprinkling the chocolate chips on top.

Sarah @ Daily Nibble — March 2, 2010 @ 7:48 AM

Oh wow! These look great. I’ll have to try to bake them as a healthier option this week. I too started out so well, and now have been eating a bit too many sweets. You’re doing great on your progress and goals!

EZSweets — March 2, 2010 @ 8:05 AM

These muffins look great! Very creative idea. I am not usually a big fan of muffins…but these muffins look yummy.

Julie @ Pickley Pear — March 3, 2010 @ 5:48 PM

Oh the muffins look great, I may have to make those soon! I posted my Week 9 post today, can’t believe it’s already March – feels like yesterday the Ten in 2010 challenge started!

Jen Schall — March 5, 2010 @ 8:32 AM

Your muffins look great! I am always happy to have a new healthy muffin recipe to try.

Great job with your goals… You’re doing really well, and it sounds like you’re making some lifestyle/habit changes, which is the most important part!