Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Wrapping it Up

Well, it’s been ten weeks since the healthy challenge began. For some reason it feels like we’ve been at it a loooong time. I started the challenge with a bang- eating right and power workouts. I’ve since survived a week-long vacation, bouts of being sick, foot injuries and lots of food temptation. That’s not to say that I failed at this challenge. Having this challenge as a “mindset” for the last ten weeks has been very helpful. In the past, if I veered off track from a healthy eating plan, I had a tough time getting back into the swing of things. This time around, my commitment to the challenge was never far from my mind. If I had one cookie too many, or if I had several days of inactive behavior, I slipped back into healthy habits more easily. I expect that my commitments will continue to have a positive effect on how I live my life.

My successes:
*I’ve lost and kept off 8 pounds. Though I had hoped to lose 20, it’s not summer quite yet.
*I’m pretty committed to exercising at least 3 times a week.
*I’m more focused on having better sleep habits & drinking more water.
*I got my husband to lose quite a few pounds too.

The bummer:
One of my main goals was to be able to run a 5 or 10K at the end of 10 weeks. During the 10 week challenge, I’ve run the distance of 5K both on the treadmill & outdoors, but I won’t be able to sign up for the race due to a foot injury :( I hope to be able to achieve this goal one of these days.

I truly hope that the participants of this challenge were able to get something out of it. Thank you to everyone who posted about their experience & tweeted about it too. It was helpful & motivating to see who was active in the challenge.

16 Responses to “Ten in ’10 Healthy Challenge: Wrapping it Up”

Joan Nova — March 14, 2010 @ 5:48 AM

congratulations on your achievement and resolve to go forward.

Gwen — March 14, 2010 @ 6:00 AM

That is great you lost and kept off 8 pounds! I understand about injuries, etc. I have a few of those myself that prevent major exercise. I do agree that being part of the challenge has at least made me think about what I need to be doing and I think that warmer weather will kick better habits into gear. Thanks for putting this challenge together!

barb — March 14, 2010 @ 6:11 AM

I thought you did a great job with the 10 week challenge. It was very helpful. I wish you’d do a guest post on my food blog sometime.

Manggy — March 14, 2010 @ 6:41 AM

Congratulations on meeting your goals to some extent – sorry about the injury, though, I hope it heals completely soon. Keep up the good work.

Julie — March 14, 2010 @ 8:51 AM

Congratulations on completing the 10 weeks with some successes. I’m really excited to say that I will be running a 5K next Sunday so the challenge was definitely a success for me…I hope we are all able to continue these healthy habits beyond the ten weeks

LilSis — March 14, 2010 @ 10:06 AM

Hi Lori,
    Congrats on keeping off the eight pounds! I know how tough it is! I’ve kept off six and still have four more to go. This challenge really has helped me stay focused, more than any other time I’ve tried to lose weight.

I’ve also had a few stumbling blocks along the way, but I just keep reminding myself that every day is a new day. If I overindulge one day, I just try to do better the next day. This challenge has definitely made me more accountable to myself since I’ve started writing down what I eat every day.

Sorry to hear about the injury! That really makes it tough. I had a stress fracture in my foot that prevented me from exercising for almost three months. Hope it gets better soon.

Keep up the good work and I hope you meet your goal by Summer! I’d really like to feel better in a swimsuit this year! :-)f

Barbara — March 14, 2010 @ 1:02 PM

Think it’s great you lost the weight even though it’s not as much as you wanted.
    I lost only 5 pounds but am working out every single day without fail. Hopefully, this will will add up in the end to some more weight loss!

doodles — March 14, 2010 @ 4:26 PM

Hey any step forward is better than nothing. You have some good habits that you may continue that’s a good thing. I’m 2 weeks give or take behind so I’m about to wrap up also. Setbacks seem to have gotten in the way. But perservere we shall *<*

CG the Foodie — March 14, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

Thank you so much for running this! I was sidelined early on with regards to my goals because of injuries and illness however I kept reading other journeys including yours! Thanks for being an inspiration!

VeggieGirl — March 15, 2010 @ 4:25 AM

I DEFINITELY got a lot out of this, and your own success is fabulous!! Thank you again, Lori!

Denise — March 15, 2010 @ 7:42 AM

Lori, thank you for putting this challenge together…wonder if we could do a “Part II” at some point this year? :-)

Jen Schall — March 15, 2010 @ 6:57 PM

Thanks for putting the challenge together… You did a great job! Sorry to hear about your foot injury, though!

Lisa @ Stop Eating All The Chocolates — March 16, 2010 @ 8:00 AM

I think you did a great job! Congrats! Sorry about the foot injury though. Thanks so much for doing this – it definitely helped me start the year off the right way!

Michelle from Taste As You Go — March 17, 2010 @ 5:50 PM

Congratulations, Lori! Fantastic job! You’ll be ready for that 5K in no time :)

marla {family fresh — March 17, 2010 @ 5:59 PM

Lori, you did awesome over the last 10 weeks. Sounds like you had some great success….most importantly you created a great community of people that truly care about seeing each other succeed. I am so thrilled to have made so many new friends! xo

Jenny — March 19, 2010 @ 10:51 AM

Thanks so much for kickstarting us all off! I had almost exactly the same results as you, I lost around 7lb and I need to lose at least another 10. I did complete my century bike ride and it went really well, and I really appreciate all the support!

Good luck with your future goals!