What to Do With Your Leftover Corned Beef: Make Corned Beef & Cabbage Turnovers

Irish or not, I hope you’ll be making yourself some corned beef & cabbage this week to pay homage to St. Patrick’s Day. And should you have any corned beef left over, do yourself a favor and make these Corned Beef & Cabbage Turnovers.  I intended to serve them as an appetizer, but they were so filling that they turned out to be dinner instead :)

Here’s the How-To:

Saute chopped corned beef with a little onion and some coleslaw mix (or just plain shredded cabbage).

Cut out 9 (2 3/4-inch) squares from two sheets of puff pastry. If you don’t have one of these fancy schmancy square cutters, just use a knife to cut them.

Bake them up for 20 minutes, until they’re golden brown. Serve with mustard sauce… either a simple mix of mayo & dijon, or try this good lookin’ mustard sauce from this wonderful appetizer website.

Our family loved ‘em! They were apparently kid-friendly too since my 8 year old gobbled them up, cabbage and all.

I’m not Irish myself, but since the husband is… I’ve gotta come up with some festive things to cook around St. Patrick’s Day every year. This was a good choice. Happy St. Patrick’s Day week!

This recipe can be found here: Corned Beef & Cabbage Turnovers
More recipes can be found here: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes

19 Responses to “What to Do With Your Leftover Corned Beef: Make Corned Beef & Cabbage Turnovers”

Katie — March 15, 2010 @ 4:00 AM

Wow, those look amazing!! I love anything with puff pastry! Great photos.

nina — March 15, 2010 @ 3:58 AM

It looks too delicious for words!!

Jan — March 15, 2010 @ 4:46 AM

Love the idea – they look lovely!

cookiepie — March 15, 2010 @ 5:50 AM

What a fabulous idea!!

Terri A — March 15, 2010 @ 8:09 AM

Yummy! Great idea!

Joan Nova — March 15, 2010 @ 11:47 AM

I may like the leftover application better than holiday preparation. Looks great!

Rhyleysgranny — March 15, 2010 @ 1:17 PM

OMG what a great idea. They look super delicious. I always wondered about the idea if corned beef and cabbage being Irish as it isn’t really eaten here as a sort of national dish. Bacon and cabbage is the thing here. I did a little research and……….apparently when the Irish took off to the Americas pork was not to be had so corned beef took the place of the bacon so it is an Irish /American dish. :)

Gera @ SweetsFoodsBl — March 15, 2010 @ 3:48 PM

Excellent ravioli or mini-square empanadas with these beefy leftovers, so yummy!!

Have a great week :)

Gera

Roberta — March 15, 2010 @ 5:07 PM

This is the most creative St. Patrick’s Day recipe I have ever seen. I am going to try this.

Sarah, MaisonCupcake — March 16, 2010 @ 2:39 AM

These look delicious. I love corned beef but rarely buy it. What a great way to use it.

Sarah — March 16, 2010 @ 7:52 AM

I cannot believe that I have never been to your site before. This recipe looks so good. I wanted to do corned beef this year but my husband does not like it. He may like it if I put in in puff pastry :)

Sues — March 16, 2010 @ 7:04 PM

YUM!! I just made corned beef melts, but I think I like this idea even better. Recipes like this make leftovers even better than the original meal!

Nicole — March 17, 2010 @ 9:06 AM

Everything tastes better in puff pastry, right? :) And since the filling is so flavorful, I’m sure they are delicious!

Nicole — March 17, 2010 @ 10:23 AM

Wow, what a masterpiece! They look too good to eat…almost :)

marla {family fresh — March 17, 2010 @ 5:56 PM

These turnovers look wonderful. Crispy on the outside with all that goodness on the inside. I am right there with your 8 year old, yum!

Jen Schall — March 17, 2010 @ 7:24 PM

These look fun! I’m not a big fan of corned beef and cabbage, but I think I’d probably give these a try!

A Canadian Foodie — March 17, 2010 @ 8:53 PM

What an innovative and fun idea. And, with that kind of pastry, not too rich. A great idea for left overs. Fun for kids to make, too.
    Timely as in my fridge are some different left overs, but they would be perfect folded into a bit of pastry for a weekend dinner with a fresh salad.
    Valerie

shelly (cookies and cups) — March 18, 2010 @ 4:49 AM

What an awesome idea!! I love this!
    I wish I had some corned beef leftover to make these, but I live with ravenous teenagers that successfully eat me out of house and home ;)

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} — March 18, 2010 @ 9:04 AM

Oh, they are so cute!
    I wish I could say we had leftovers but sadly no, they were all gobbled up. Typically I make two corned beefs but only made one.These look so great, I may just have to make another :)