I’m excited to be debuting my first recipe video for GoodBite. The theme is “Spring,” for which I contributed one of my favorite spring recipes: a Layered Strawberry Trifle. It’s a really simple dessert recipe, and I must say that it’s perfect for Easter brunch too! View the video for the quick how-to and then print out the recipe below.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 25 min + chilling time
Cook Time: 2 min
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup water
12 ounces pound cake or butter loaf (store bought is ok)
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
6 cups fresh strawberries
1. Prepare lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring sugar, lemon juice and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Let cool.
2. Slice cake into 3/4-inch slices. Brush lemon syrup over both sides of each cake slice. Quarter each slice.
3. Beat cream cheese with sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and slowly add cream. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft whipped cream.
4. Arrange half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a glass serving bowl or dish (2 quart size is sufficient). Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over the cake in dollops; spread to the sides of the dish. Scatter half of the strawberries on top. Repeat layering with cake, cream cheese and berries. Pile additional strawberries on top.
5. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (about an hour). You may also refrigerate overnight.
*For a lower fat version, try fat-free pound cake and reduced-fat cream cheese.
*Try substituting raspberries or blueberries for strawberries, or use a mixture of all three berries.