1st Prize Guacamole Recipe at the San Diego County Fair? What do you think?

Every year around the end of May, I begin looking at the San Diego County Fair’s website to see what sorts of events they’re offering that center around the topics of food and cooking. They always offer recipe contests in various categories. One year, competing against a bunch of elderly cheesecake enthusiasts, I won 2nd place in the cheesecake competition. My son (now 9) has picked up a few blue ribbons over the years for participating in the kid’s competitions too. This year, the Guacamole contest caught my interest. I’ve been told by many that I make a mean Guacamole. But I was determined to create something new… something unique… something that had a lot of flavor in it. After a few days of experimenting… with my family enthusiastically trying each version of guacamole placed in front of them, I settled on a recipe that I thought would be a good contender for first place: Sweet Smokin’ Hot Mango-Chipotle Guacamole.

A good guacamole begins with perfectly ripe avocados. I only use the Hass brand avocado. A ripe avocado is relatively firm, but will yield to gentle pressure when held in the palm of your hand and squeezed. You can buy them when they’re not quite ripe… you just need to give them time to sit in a cool place to ripen at room temperature (which shouldn’t take more than a couple of days). If your avocados aren’t perfectly ripe, the flavor of your guacamole will be dramatically affected by that. If the flesh is too hard, it will be difficult to mash & will taste bitter. If they’re too ripe, they’ll be mushy and have dark spots within the fruit.  I like to use a large fork to mash the avocados so that chunks will still remain.

Lime juice helps keep the avocados looking green (they’ll brown without it), sour cream turns it into a wonderful creamy texture, and the canned  chipotles add the spice.

Add mango for sweetness, salsa for chunkyness, and a little Applewood Smoked Bacon for smoky flavor.

Mix it all together, drizzle a little more lime juice on top, sprinkle a few more mango chunks and bacon for visual pleasure, and that’s it!

So, what do you think?  Is it a contender for a prize?  I loved it.  My whole family loved it.  We ate it with jicama slices and tortilla chips.

After all of this work, I discovered that as a food professional, I was not able to enter the contest :(   I’m perfectly okay with that though because now I have this fabulous guacamole recipe to share with my readers instead.  Perhaps one of you will enter it into a contest in your own town this summer… and win!

This recipe can be found here:  Sweet Smokin’ Hot, Mango-Chipotle Guacamole

The San Diego County Fair runs through July 4th.  It’s a pretty cool place to hang out if you have a day in San Diego- tons of stuff to do for kids too.  More info on their website.

30 Responses to “1st Prize Guacamole Recipe at the San Diego County Fair? What do you think?”

bellini valli — June 17, 2010 @ 4:02 AM

I’d say it’s a winner. Local fairs are always so much fun. I love to go to the food pavilion.

Michelle — June 17, 2010 @ 4:52 AM

Ooooh. Looks perfect!

Eliana — June 17, 2010 @ 5:50 AM

This has first prise winner written all over it! Best of luck Lori.

Wendy Jo — June 17, 2010 @ 6:08 AM

Salty, spicey, & sweet–great balance of flavors and textures. Bacon seems to be the new “in” food lately…hmmmm. I’d ditch the sour cream–I am purist in that respect. Perhaps small dicing the mango to spread the sweet w/the salt. I may have to try this weekend! I have yet to make it to the fair and I live in San Diego! Pathetic, I know! On my list!!! Thanks!

Elle — June 17, 2010 @ 7:37 AM

What a great flavor combo! I’m sure you’d have won with this. Thanks for sharing!

Coffee — June 17, 2010 @ 8:59 AM

It looks very good!
    My husband loves guacamole and I think I will try this recipe soon.

Sues — June 17, 2010 @ 10:57 AM

This looks like guacamole from heaven!! I love the idea of incorporating mango into it. Mmmm I could definitely eat this whole dish and a bag of tortilla chips in one sitting :)

Mrs. L — June 17, 2010 @ 12:51 PM

Sounds like an awesome guacamole version and it probably would have won!

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — June 17, 2010 @ 1:28 PM

bacon? WIN!

SinfulSouthernSweets — June 17, 2010 @ 4:17 PM

It looks like a definite winner to me!! Such a shame you can’t enter! Loving the idea of that bacon in the guac

Nanny — June 17, 2010 @ 5:18 PM

it looks and sounds just wonderful….I will surely make it when my family comes for the 4th….thanks for sharing it!

VeggieGirl — June 17, 2010 @ 11:03 PM

You will win it all!! Fabulous recipe. By the way, I’ve been out in California this whole past week. Leaving tomorrow though :(

Tina Cant — June 17, 2010 @ 11:04 PM

Looks delicious. I am looking forward to going to the SDFair on Saturday.

grace — June 18, 2010 @ 12:08 AM

‘i coulda been a contendah!’
    too bad you can’t enter this guac, lori–it’s a winner for sure!

Amanda — June 18, 2010 @ 3:15 AM

Well I think it looks and sounds great! Too bad you couldn’t enter!

Veronica — June 18, 2010 @ 4:18 AM

Oh yes, it definitely is a winner! I just wish you could have entered it! My mouth is watering like crazy. If I could give you a ribbon right now, I would!

shannon abdollmohamm — June 18, 2010 @ 7:43 AM

You had me at “bacon”. It looks wonderful…thank you for sharing this recipe…it won in my book!!

RecipeGirl's Mom — June 18, 2010 @ 10:52 AM

Mmmmm, Looks good. Maybe we could have some this summer!

Baking Serendipity — June 18, 2010 @ 1:54 PM

I love the mango and avocado combination…what a great idea! Your photography is fantastic as well :)

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 18, 2010 @ 4:01 PM

This looks amazing! You are awesome for even THINKING to put bacon in there, and double awesome for the mango!

Lynn — June 19, 2010 @ 5:52 AM

That a fun and different take on guacamole. My husband has his perfected, but maybe I could convince him to give yours a try, just to be different.

Kerstin — June 19, 2010 @ 10:53 AM

This definitely looks like a winning guac to me! Love your mango twist!

Nancy (n.o.e.) — June 19, 2010 @ 12:07 PM

I make a mean guac too! Love your new version with the heat and the sweet. I have ripe avocados and mangoes, so might have to give it a go.

Mary — June 20, 2010 @ 7:23 AM

I really think you “nailed” this one. I love the addition of heat and bacon and mango never hurt a thing :-) . I really like this recipe. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

Janet — June 20, 2010 @ 1:15 PM

Oh this sounds fabulous! I still think they should’ve let you enter- you still have to make up the recipe so it’s fair game in my opinion ;) Trying this recipe soon!

Pam Greer — June 21, 2010 @ 5:08 AM

I love to go to that fair! I think this recipe would have won hands down!

Barbara — June 21, 2010 @ 6:14 AM

If you don’t win a prize, I will be amazed, Lori! It looks delicious and a perfect recipe.
    I love county and state fairs…and always spent tons of time in the food competition areas.

Lori Lynn — June 23, 2010 @ 5:54 PM

You are a blue ribbon winner in our book! That guac rocks!

For almost a decade I entered the LA County Fair Table Setting Competition, and pretty much took home a blue every year, until the last year I was DISQUALIFIED! Ha! It was kinda funny, my table was “too” creative they said. Gotta love a county fair. Only good memories of those hot days in Pomona!
    LL

Jen Schall — June 24, 2010 @ 12:27 PM

Looks AMAZING! I’d love to be a judge in that competition. Haven’t met a guacamole I didn’t like.

Cara — July 13, 2010 @ 10:04 AM

Sounds fantastic! My favorite guac is a “crunchy guacamole” at a local restaurant here. It has all jicama, smoked almonds, and toasted corn nuts. Good luck with the contest!