Paula Deen, Savannah, Philadelphia Cream Cheese & RecipeGirl!

I’m excited to announce that I’ll be heading to Savannah, Georgia next week to help judge the Real Women of Philadelphia Live Cook-Off alongside Ms. Paula Deen! Paula has teamed up with Philadelphia Cream Cheese to bring you the “Real Women of Philadelphia,” a journey to find four fantastic female home cooks who will each win $25,000 and work with the community to create a cookbook featuring all of our favorite recipes made with a little Philly.  Over 5,000 home cooks submitted videos of recipes they created using Philadelphia Cream Cheese, and now there are 16 finalists… four of these lucky ladies will be crowned the new Hosts of the Real Women of Philadelphia!

The videos on the Real Women of Philadelphia site were so much fun to watch.  In an 8-week time period women were asked to submit recipes using Philly Cream Cheese in 4 categories:  appetizers, side dishes, main dishes and desserts.  Those who were brave enough to star in their own videos were creative with their ideas for recipes, and the personalities displayed in their videos were priceless.  The recipe videos ranged from romantic (think anniversary dinner) to a take-off on Mary Poppins (this gal had guts to dress up & act out a part!) to a grilled dessert idea (loved the personality of this contributor, and her upside down cake looks to-die-for) to Bear Claw Bread Pudding (what???  Wow!!) and this lovely lady (who lives across the street from an apple orchard and shared a special apple crisp recipe with us).  It’s very clear that the women who participated in this fabulous event have formed a real sense of community on the Real Women of Philadelphia site- cheering and encouraging each other on throughout the whole 8-week submission process.

On the RWoP website, you can view any of the videos that have been submitted, and the 16 finalist’s videos are highlighted as well.  Paula Deen herself does a little blogging with personal updates, and she highlights some of the contributors on a regular basis.  There is a community forum on the site too where you can join in the discussion about recipes and Philly Cream Cheese and life, etc.  The women here are so friendly and fabulous that they have welcomed all with open arms.  It’s truly a sisterhood of women.

On Wednesday, June 30th at 8pm EST, this Cook-Off event will be airing live on the RWoP website and also here on the RecipeGirl blog.

In anticipation and honor of meeting Paula Deen, I certainly couldn’t share about this wonderful event without also sharing a Paula Deen recipe that is made with Philadelphia Cream Cheese too! For Father’s Day this year, I was in charge of dessert. I baked up Paula’s recipe for Cream Cheese Pound Cake with some fabulous seasonal berries and whipped cream.  This was just about the most perfect pound cake I’ve ever baked.  It was so moist and tender, and the flavor was perfect- not too sweet and just a hint of almond.  I might add that this would be a good one for 4th of July too!

This recipe can be found here:  Paula Deen’s Cream Cheese Pound Cake.

From June 28 through June 30th, I’ll be sharing my Paula Deen/Philly/Savannah adventure with you!  This Southern California Girl has never been to Savannah… or anywhere at all in the South before, so I’m mighty excited to explore the city & the Southern food, get to know the infamous Paula Deen, taste and judge all of the finalist’s recipes and help to celebrate four winners!  I’ll be shooting video of my experience, interviewing contestants (and Ms. Deen) and taking a zillion photographs of it all.  You’ll get the full re-cap here.   But be sure to tune in on June 30th at 8pm EST on my blog to see live stream Real Women of Philadelphia Cook Off with Paula Deen :)   The RWoP website will be streaming it live too.

Off to Savannah!  Please let me know in the comments below if there are things I absolutely should not miss while I’m in Savannah… restaurants, specialty foods, shops, tours, etc.  Would you believe that I’ve never even had grits before??

Disclosure:  I’m working with Kraft to help promote the Real Women of Philadelphia Cook-Off.  I’ll be sharing my honest observations, opinions and insights on what I experience at the cook-off in Savannah, GA.

32 Responses to “Paula Deen, Savannah, Philadelphia Cream Cheese & RecipeGirl!”

Jessica @ How Sweet — June 22, 2010 @ 2:32 AM

That sounds like so much fun! I can’t wait to hear about it Lori!

Jessica Lynn — June 22, 2010 @ 2:54 AM

I live just a couple hours from Savannah, but I’m originally from the SW, so let me warn you it’s beyond hot here. And it’s the humid hot, so you get hot, sticky, and wet and since it’s humid you can’t cool of as fast as when you’re in the dry heat.

But with that said, Savannah is an absolutely WONDERFUL place to visit! If you have the time, I suggest taking a trolley ride—it shows you everything in the historical district and then you can figure out what you want to go back and see later.

• Lori Lange replied: — June 22nd, 2010 @ 5:56 PM

@Jessica Lynn, I’m definitely going to take some tours while I’m there. The heat… I’m ready for it!

bellini valli — June 22, 2010 @ 3:03 AM

It sounds like a lot of fun to be judge. We homecooks are a creative bunch.

Jess — June 22, 2010 @ 5:14 AM

Oh my gosh! So jealous! Savannah is one of my favorite cities in the country! It has such a charming quality about it. Definitely get some grits! I had a wonderful dish with grits when I was there, but unfortunately can’t remember exactly where – at Vic’s on the River maybe? And as if going to Savannah weren’t enough, you get to meet Paula??? My friends swear I was meant to be her daughter, and I would just die to meet her!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 22nd, 2010 @ 5:56 PM

@Jess, Exciting, isn’t it? I’ll bet she’s just as lovely as she seems to be on TV :)

Alexandra — June 22, 2010 @ 7:17 AM

Savannah is a really nice city! I was lucky enough to be there on St. Patrick’s Day a few years ago (unfortunately before I was old enough to drink legally in the US). I can’t remember any specific names of places we ate at, but we did have amaaazing bbq food from a street vendor on River St. I think they were called JJ’s or PJ’s but I’m not positive. And they may have just been on the street for the St. Patty’s day festivities, but regardless – there’s great bbq somewhere in that city! And I’m not even a bbq lover.

Also, you’re probably set for accomodations, but we stayed at a really nice hotel (I want to say it was a Westin but I don’t remember for sure… I stayed at a lot of hotels during my two week trip down the coast to Orlando and back up to Canada!) It was on the island that you can see from the shore on River St., and they had the most comfortable mattresses and pillows I’ve ever felt in my life. Years later, my family still talks about those pillows! lol

• Lori Lange replied: — June 22nd, 2010 @ 5:57 PM

@Alexandra, I’ll be exploring all food options!! – and I’ve got a great hotel lined up too!

Eliana — June 22, 2010 @ 9:27 AM

What an exciting opportunity for you. Best of luck :)

M. Stacy — June 22, 2010 @ 10:26 AM

That will be a lot of fun!
    I live in Savannah, and it really is a beautiful city.

Be prepared to sweat- the humidity is awful. Spankys has the best chicken fingers in Savannah, and you need to try pralines while you’re here too. Vic’s on the River is wonderful, and so is Soho South Cafe on Liberty Street.

Make sure you drink plenty of water! Enjoy your visit!!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 22nd, 2010 @ 5:59 PM

@M. Stacy, I hadn’t even thought of pralines, but I’ll definitely add those to my list! Vics has been recommended by someone else too so I’ll have to see what that’s all about! THanks for the recs!

M. Stacy — June 22, 2010 @ 10:27 AM

Oh!! And you’ve GOT to have sweet tea.

RecipeGirl's Mom — June 22, 2010 @ 11:21 AM

I’m so exited for you. What an experience, one you will always remember. Can’t wait to see the live show on your blog and my beautiful daughter in action!

Mrs. L — June 22, 2010 @ 3:25 PM

How exciting! Have a great time and I can’t wait till you get back and blog about it!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 22nd, 2010 @ 6:00 PM

@Mrs. L, I’ll share all! Thanks!!

Nanny — June 22, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

Oh you lucky girl…..take lots of pictures to share with us….I would love to go to Savannah and eat at Paulas!!!!!!
    you are gonna love grits!!!!!!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 22nd, 2010 @ 6:00 PM

@Nanny, You think so…? I have this weird feeling that they’re like cream of wheat or something lol!

nina — June 22, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

You are definitely going places,Lori! Well done, all you hard work on this blog does not go by unnoticed!!

VeggieGirl — June 23, 2010 @ 3:29 AM

Too fun!!!! :-D

Michelle — June 23, 2010 @ 4:35 AM

How fun. My sister loved her visit to Savannah – she loved the cemeteries. : ) Have a great time!!

Fran McClain — June 23, 2010 @ 5:42 AM

Wow!!!Savannah, Paula and Cream Cheese—three of my favorites. Be sure to try the Fried Cornbread at Lady & Sons. And your trip would not be complete without trying grits—butter, salt and pepper—no sugar!!! Enjoy your trip.

oregon judy — June 23, 2010 @ 6:16 AM

If you can, read “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” before you go. It will give you a whole different insight into the city.

Baking is my Zen — June 23, 2010 @ 2:00 PM

How cool is that! Look forward to seeing who wins!

Carmen

Lori Lynn — June 23, 2010 @ 5:49 PM

Wow Lori! That is awesome! You’ll make a terrific judge. So neat to meet Paula Deen, and your rendition of her cake is lovely, great that you photographed it in the garden, I’m sure she would be proud. Safe travels.
    LL

Barbara — June 24, 2010 @ 9:44 AM

I’ve seen some of the videos! It’s going to be tough judging! But won’t you have fun with Paula??
    Can’t wait to hear about it!

Kristen — June 24, 2010 @ 6:47 PM

My parents live in Savannah so we’re there at least twice a year visiting. Don’t miss Wright Square Cafe and the decadent chocolates there. Of course, River Street Sweets pralines are delicious too.

shannon abdollmohamm — June 26, 2010 @ 10:35 PM

How exciting. Sounds like a wonderful time.

Renee — June 30, 2010 @ 4:00 AM

This sounds like such great fun! LOVE Paula and LOVE Philly cream cheese. Sounds like a match made in heaven. Ya’ll have a great time while your there and I can’t wait to see/read more!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 30th, 2010 @ 6:36 AM

@Renee, Paula Deen is a perfect pairing with Philly, isn’t she? Hope you’ll tune in for the live event!