Eating Light After a Holiday Weekend: Asian Lettuce Wraps

If you indulged as much as I did at 4th of July celebrations last weekend, you’ll be happy to find something nice and light on the blog today: Sweet and Spicy Lettuce Wraps.

You’ll need some fresh ingredients… cooked chicken breast, thinly sliced cabbage, shredded carrot, (the sweet and spicy sauce), peanuts, Bibb lettuce and water chestnuts.

In a medium bowl, you’ll mix cabbage, carrots, water chestnuts, chicken and peanuts.
The sauce is made from hoisin sauce, cider vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, crushed red pepper and garlic.  Just whisk it together in a small bowl, and pour it over the chicken-cabbage mixture.

Mix it all up!

And scoop it into clean Bibb lettuce leaves.  You “can” use other types of lettuce, but Bibb lettuce is best for lettuce wraps.  It’s small in nature, but wide and sturdy enough to hold the filling.

Do you feel healthier already?  This recipe yields enough to make 12 lettuce wraps.  You can have three of them for a total of 197 calories (and 4 Weight Watcher’s points).  They make a nice lunch, and they’re terrific for a light summer dinner too.  Kids seem to like the sweet flavor in these, and for some reason using lettuce in place of a tortilla in these “tacos” is kind of cool (according to my 9 year old).

This recipe can be found here: Sweet & Spicy Lettuce Wraps

I have another Lettuce Wrap recipe that you might like as well… it’s made with ground turkey and has a slightly different sauce: Asian Lettuce Wraps

15 Responses to “Eating Light After a Holiday Weekend: Asian Lettuce Wraps”

karen — July 5, 2010 @ 3:52 AM

Thanks for the recipe! Just so happens I have all the ingredients on hand and a lot of them fresh from the garden.

shelly (cookies and cups) — July 5, 2010 @ 7:36 AM

These look so great! I love the addition of the cabbage!

Barbara — July 5, 2010 @ 8:54 AM

Oh my, Lori, that looks delicious. What a super way to use leftover chicken! I love the addition of water chestnuts, you don’t see that very often.
    Really a super recipe!

patsyk — July 5, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

Exactly what I need after a weekend of heavy eating! Looks so delicious and light!

TanaFigs — July 6, 2010 @ 9:03 AM

Yum! Looks so good! I’m looking for something cool for dinner to beat this heat wave. These might be just the thing!

ValerieF — July 6, 2010 @ 12:06 PM

They look wonderful! Much better than my failure attempt to make lettuce wraps myself last week! Will try your recipe soon!!! http://www.vandeflier.com/2010/07/mole-inspired-steak-marinade-and-lettuce-wraps/

rebelyell — July 6, 2010 @ 4:48 PM

I made this last night, only without the Bibb lettuce – I just ate it as a salad. Oh my godness, YUM! Loved the fresh flavors and the dressing was killer. Thanks for sharing a tasty recipe!

Kate — July 7, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

I love lettuce wraps, and these look fabulous! Thanks for motivating me after too much food and fun this weekend. Can’t wait to make these!!

bridget {bake at 350 — July 8, 2010 @ 8:22 PM

These look fabulous! Just marked them as a “must make.” Thanks for the recipe! :)

The History Chef — July 9, 2010 @ 10:13 AM

What a great idea! And good luck with your Oprah audition!

Cara — July 13, 2010 @ 10:03 AM

I never think to use water chestnuts but I bet they add some nice bulk and crunch to the filling. Thanks for the idea!

Amy — July 31, 2010 @ 9:00 AM

I stumbled across your website when looking for a lettuce wrap recipe and tried this one. Both my husband and I agree this is by far the best lettuce wrap we’ve ever had! I now keep almost all the ingredients on hand to make them up as a quick summer dinner! I’ll be trying lots more of your recipes.

Lori Lange — July 31, 2010 @ 10:15 AM

@Amy, So glad you like this one! Glad you’re enjoying my recipes :)

Melissa Jimenez — January 5, 2011 @ 9:10 AM

Just wondering if you have an idea of approximately how many calories in each? Regardless, I am trying this tonight! Looks and sounds delicious and thank you for sharing the recipe!

Lori Lange — January 5, 2011 @ 7:14 PM

@Melissa Jimenez, Unfortunately, I do not have the nutritional info on this recipe!