posted in Evil Carbs

Summer Muffin Recipes: Pineapple, Raspberries & Blueberries, Oh My!

I find that I’m lured by the muffin. It never seems as evil a choice as “the donut,” and it usually has some fruit contained within… seemingly healthy, right? I remember years ago I was shocked to see a report that the muffin is actually a small cake (with accompanying calories). And that those grandiose, gargantuan-sized muffins that no-one should ever eat on their own… contain a good-sized chunk of your intended calorie allotment for any given day. Devastating news, but the calories can be more manageable if the muffins are made into normal-sized portions.

Now that I have you totally fearing to eat muffins ever again, I have some good summery-themed muffins to share with you. Two are of the normal variety, and one is toned down to be a bit more low-cal and healthy. They’re all delicious though, so you make the choice. Just don’t eat them all in one sitting and I’m sure you’ll be ok :) All can be made ahead and then frozen in individual portions to be defrosted later when the muffin-mood strikes.

Sugar-Crusted Raspberry Muffins: These are a slightly sweet muffin with chunks of fresh raspberries tucked within. They’re topped with a layer of white sugar, and if you have any of that wonderful chunky, sparkling-white sugar to sprinkle on top then that makes these even better. And since I know someone is going to ask where I got these cute cupcake liners, I’ll just go ahead and tell you that I ordered them from www.BakeItPretty.com.

Next are some wonderful Pineapple Muffins.  You can make these with fresh pineapple or canned.  The pineapple lends a small amount of sweetness to the muffins without overwhelming them with a strong pineapple flavor.  These were a big hit at a brunch I attended.

Here’s your especially healthy option:  Blueberry- Oatmeal Muffins.  For this recipe, I’ve included nutritional information as well as Weight Watcher’s points.  They have some wheat flour incorporated into them and plenty of fresh blueberries.  A delicious choice, especially when blueberries are fresh-as-can-be and are dirt cheap.

All of the recipes for the muffins mentioned in this post can be found by clicking on recipe titles above.

16 Responses to “Summer Muffin Recipes: Pineapple, Raspberries & Blueberries, Oh My!”

1. postedJul 22, 2010 1:55 AM

The size of muffins has got rather ridiculous lately, my doctor’s surgery even has a poster up of two muffins to illustrate portion distortion!

Yours look far more manageable. I have some raspberries growing in my garden right now and reckon it would be fun to make some raspberry muffins with my 3 year old.

2. postedJul 22, 2010 2:21 AM

I love blueberries. Alas, they never get cheap and plentiful where I live and I usually can’t bring myself to pay top dollar for meager portions of less-than-fresh berries.
    I dream of one day owning a garden with a blueberry bush or 3 so that I can gorge on fresh berries every year! Until then, I will have to try the recipe with frozen berries instead. Thanks! :)

3. postedJul 22, 2010 5:32 AM

I adore muffins! I have a hard time saying no to those little mini cakes!

4. postedJul 22, 2010 5:58 AM
    Alexandra

I agree, it’s about portion size, as with most things we eat. My mom is always telling me how terrible muffins are and how I shouldn’t have any. But there’s a big difference between a huge chocolate muffin from Starbucks and a normal sized banana muffin made with Splenda and whole wheat flour that I make at home! I use the “but there’s fruit!” thing too :)

5. postedJul 22, 2010 6:45 AM
    MollyCookie

Those look fantastic! I love muffins and I’ve never tried a pineapple one, but I might have to now :)

6. postedJul 22, 2010 8:43 AM

Perfect for a summer breakfast treat!

7. postedJul 22, 2010 10:16 AM

I think I need more muffins in my life! And I might need to start with the pineapple muffins… Or perhaps the blueberry-oatmeal muffins. Life is full of tough choices!

8. postedJul 22, 2010 1:08 PM

You have captured summer in those delicious muffins. Love the pineapple one the best though!

9. postedJul 22, 2010 4:22 PM

Hehehe I love how you clicked those muffins on the beach!! I love muffins too, gives me delusions of eating healthy 😛

10. postedJul 22, 2010 4:46 PM

Totally jealous of the beach scene. Love the muffins!

11. postedJul 22, 2010 11:08 PM
    Mei Teng

Beautiful sugar-crusted raspberry muffins.

12. postedJul 23, 2010 1:39 AM
    Irada

I am a big fan of blueberry muffins and those would be very welcome with a cup of tea.

13. postedJul 23, 2010 4:25 AM

Those look great L! Love fresh fruit in muffins :)

14. postedJul 23, 2010 4:44 AM

I wish that breakfast plate was in my kitchen waiting for me right now! Yum, Lori.

And what adorable paper muffin liners!

15. postedJul 23, 2010 7:37 AM
    Wendy

While I wouldn’t be able to eat them, I wonder how a mango muffin would be.

16. postedJul 24, 2010 5:40 PM
    RecipeGirl's Mom

All three of these muffins look really tasty. I like to make these regular size muffins then freeze the leftovers for last minute morning visitors!