Celebrating Lobster: The New England Lobster Roll

I spent a few weeks in New England this summer- specifically– Boston’s South Shore. It’s a family tradition to head to our beach house rental every summer… a time of relaxation, searching for sea glass, family bonding, visiting with our favorite beach house neighbors, and eating plenty of lobster. One night is always reserved for steaming several lobsters in a big pot on a gas-fired device.

We eat many of them with melted butter, corn on the cob and bread to soak up the juices. But I always steam up a few extras to utilize for lunch the following day: Lobster Rolls.

For two lobster rolls, I use a generous portion of lobster meat- about 2 cups.

I add 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise. I don’t like mushy lobster, so just a little bit of mayonnaise is plenty. I add a sprinkle of sea salt and a couple of grinds of pepper.

Using a microplane, I grate about 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest into the mix and squeeze 1 wedge of lemon juice. That’s it. It’s a simple mix. It’s all you need. No crunch, nothing fancy. Just the lobster as the star with a bit of lemon to pair naturally with the seafood.

If you have access to those wonderful, soft New England style hot dog buns- use those! If not, use regular old buns. I find that buttering the buns and then placing them buttered-side-down in a skillet gets them nice and toasty and gives them a good basis for adding the lobster mixture.

You can tell from the photo that I tend to overstuff the rolls. I like to get as much lobster in there as I can! You can certainly use a bit less lobster if you prefer it that way. Be sure to add some good potato chips or cole slaw and an ice cold beer. That’s the New England way to do it.

The complete recipe can be viewed & printed out here: Lobster Roll.

20 Responses to “Celebrating Lobster: The New England Lobster Roll”

Julia — August 12, 2010 @ 4:51 AM

I agree, lobster rolls need to be overstuffed! I usually eat the “excess” first before attempting to eat it like a sandwich.

I know that your recipe is traditional, but I do like to add a little celery, cucumber and/or tarragon.

Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation!

Desiree' — August 12, 2010 @ 6:34 AM

I grew in New England and I miss it soo much! Especially the New England Stlye hot dog buns. I can’t find them anywhere in FL.

nina — August 12, 2010 @ 9:02 AM

I have been following you trip on Twitter, seems like it is never going to end. These lobster rolls are simply awesome…..

Ciaochowlinda — August 12, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

That is the perfect sandwich.

lisaiscooking — August 12, 2010 @ 1:02 PM

I’ve been craving lobster rolls. It occurred to me recently that I’ve never had a traditional, New England lobster roll and now it’s driving me crazy. I want one!

Janet — August 12, 2010 @ 7:02 PM

Oh this sounds divine about now! I would love to live so close to the ocean to have those gorgeous lobsters!

Sues — August 13, 2010 @ 9:35 AM

I’ve been craving lobster rolls like crazy lately! And given that I’m in Boston, it’s super easy for me to get my hands on some amazing ones. Yours looks absolutely perfect! I love just a touch of mayonnaise on mine :)

Paula -bell'alimento — August 13, 2010 @ 10:11 AM

There is just something about a lobstah roll isn’t there : )

BethieofVA — August 13, 2010 @ 10:21 AM

We are planning a week long trip next summer to ME and can not wait. I have never been. Thanks for just making the wait EVEN more difficult. LOL!

You guys sound like you have had a fab traveling car vacation.

Charles G Thompson — August 13, 2010 @ 11:24 AM

That looks SO good! Going to have to make this before the summer is over.

Ingeborg — August 13, 2010 @ 1:43 PM

Delicious looking…I’m salivating!!!!

kelleyn — August 14, 2010 @ 5:33 AM

Totally devine! When we go to Massachutes, my father always gets the lobster roll at McDonalds. However, I am sure he would love your recipe too!

Deborah Leon — August 14, 2010 @ 10:19 AM

These are to die for. I’m missing New England (Rhode Island) and my lobster rolls. My eyes just ravished your pics and now I have the “I Wants”.

Fair Winds and Calm Seas,
    Deborah Leon

Kerstin — August 14, 2010 @ 12:46 PM

I’m all about over stuffing too – these look fabulous! Glad you enjoyed New England :)

Bren — August 15, 2010 @ 11:07 AM

Nice looking pics….I’m always amazed at the wonderful pics of seafood and I always drool! Sounds like summer had been fabulous!

marla — August 19, 2010 @ 12:31 PM

Love this picture of you with those beautiful lobsters~so Americana & so North East. So fun reading about your travels. The lobster rolls look amazing. xo

Faye — August 22, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

Yum, the best I ever had was on the shore in Connecticut-no mayo, just drawn butter and lobster chunks on a toasted NE hot dog roll!

MO — August 24, 2010 @ 10:58 AM

SERIOUSLY looks delish!!!

martha — September 18, 2010 @ 4:13 PM

Boy has this made me hungry and homesick! I grew up in CT, took summer vacations on the coast of Maine where we always enjoyed lobster rolls! Lucky you!!

marguerite — October 17, 2010 @ 5:35 AM

I grew up in the Boston area and miss lobster rolls so much!!! I made them once and they did come out wicked good… but I love just being able to buy them up there. There are no lobster rolls to be found in Pittsburgh!