End-of-Summer Berry & Melon Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette

Cantaloupes were 69 cents EACH at my local supermarket the other day, and this is a good thing. My son would eat cantaloupe morning, noon and night if he could. And he pretty much feels the same about strawberries, too. Therefore, I’m labeling this salad as an adult-loving- but kid friendly salad- because just about everything in it is something that most adults & children will happily eat: Strawberry- Melon Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette.

The star of this salad is the watermelon vinaigrette, which was inspired by a recipe that my food blog friend and web designer Barbara pointed out. It’s a simple whir in the blender of watermelon chunks with onion, vinegar, honey, olive oil and basil.

The salad itself starts with strawberries and melon. I used watermelon and cantaloupe chunks, but you can certainly be flexible with your choice of melons… and I think raspberries might be good in here as well.

The fruit is spooned onto mixed greens and then topped with crumbled gorgonzola. I like to use the real creamy kind of gorgonzola that you buy in the package and crumble yourself, but you can always use the already-crumbled sort if you prefer. If you’re not a big fan of gorgonzola, leave it out or sub with feta cheese. The watermelon vinaigrette is drizzled on top.

What do you think? Will your kids eat this? Or more importantly, will you eat this? ;) Our family thought it was quite refreshing and delicious in the midst of the hot days of summer. The gorgonzola was a nice touch- a welcomed tangy flavor to pair with the sweetness of the fruit. And it sure is an affordable salad if your end-of-summer fruit is as cheap as it is where I live right now.

A few things about this salad- It’s 4 WW points per serving if you’re on the Weight Watchers plan. It’s a mere 175 calories for those who are counting. And it’s gluten free (providing that your olive oil and cheese choices are free of gluten).

This recipe can be found here: Strawberry- Melon Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette

13 Responses to “End-of-Summer Berry & Melon Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette”

maria — September 2, 2010 @ 2:10 PM

Great salad Lori! Love all of the flavors going on!

Jessica @ How Sweet — September 2, 2010 @ 3:11 PM

This is my kinda salad! It looks fabulous!

Kitchen Runway — September 2, 2010 @ 3:19 PM

I love the colors in this salad. I’m sure both kids & adults will enjoy this combination! Way to use fresh seasonal ingredients!

Erin — September 2, 2010 @ 3:30 PM

69 cents!? Mine was 99! what a rip off :) …But reallym I’m loving these cheap prices! This looks like a great salad for my labor day BBQ in San Diego this weekend!

Amanda — September 3, 2010 @ 4:09 AM

Ok wow, watermelon vinaigrette? I bet that was amazing! End of summer, boo hoo! :( I’m not ready LOL Hey if you son likes cantaloupe, I have a cantaloupe quick bread and a cantaloupe cream pie on my blog. I adore cantaloupe too – so yummy!

Michelle — September 3, 2010 @ 5:41 AM

Love the watermelon vinaigrette. Very creative way to dress a fruit salad, Lori!

Tracy — September 3, 2010 @ 6:26 AM

Such a nice refreshing salad. I think the gorgonzola would be great or maybe even some blue cheese.

marla — September 3, 2010 @ 7:02 AM

I love fruit with GOOD cheese too. I agree with you, when we crumble our own cheese it tastes so much better. This is a gorgeous & very creative end of the summer salad. The vinaigrette sounds amazing. Would I eat this. Yes, I would lick the bowl :) xo

Jenny Flake — September 3, 2010 @ 7:13 AM

What a perfect refreshing end of summer salad. I want to dive right in there :)

Barbara — September 3, 2010 @ 7:19 AM

Thanks for the shout-out on the dressing Lori; nice to have you remind me of something I love but yes…kind of forgot about!

Salad looks great; I could eat that for breakfast. Now.

Barbara — September 3, 2010 @ 7:29 AM

Great colors in the salad, Lori! I make a watermelon, tomato and feta salad we love. But I really like the flavors and variety of fruit in yours! The vinaigrette looks fabulous.

Sues — September 3, 2010 @ 5:55 PM

This looks SO good!!! And honestly, it looks a billion times better than it sounds. Not that it sounds bad at all, but it looks way more exciting than the name implies. Talk about a satisfying salad!

Cristina — September 5, 2010 @ 11:57 PM

Wow – that’s a beautiful & healthy salad! I could eat that for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

It was a pleasure to meet you at IFBC and thank you so much for visiting my site and the kind mention on Twitter. Pls let me know if I can help organize a food blogger’s luncheon! :)