Pretty Darn Good Low Fat Oatmeal- Chocolate Chip Cookies

I hate diets. I hate the word, ‘diet.’ And I hate that I have to diet. Instead, I try think of my ongoing quest to lose weight as a ‘lifestyle change.’ But let’s face it, it’s still a diet.

While I often share decadent treats on my blog to share with my readers, those decadent treats are rarely sitting around in my kitchen. More often than not, they’re given away to friends & neighbors  & teachers. The truth is, I eat an awful lot of salad and vegetables and lower fat treats. I still eat my fare share of really good food (let’s be honest, I could never live without wine or cheese or cupcakes), but I do try to manage my intake as much as I can. I’ve created a pretty darn good Low Fat Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, so I thought I’d share it with you folks who might be in the same endless-battle with losing weight that I’m in.

This recipe makes 22 cookies. Each cookie has 101 calories & comes out to 3 WW Points Plus (if you’re counting points). I used a level 1 1/2 Tablespoon scoop for portion size.

When you’re watching calories, I think it’s pretty important not to DENY yourself of anything that you regularly enjoy… like chocolate (or pasta or Nutella). I used mini-chocolate chips in this cookie recipe since it’s a good way to spread the chocolate-love around without getting too much of it.

You can mix the chips into the cookie batter, or you can dot them on top of each blob of cookie dough, like I did.

The cookies came out firm but not crispy (kind of like right between a cakey cookie and a firm cookie). Certainly firm enough to build a tower with them, which is what my son thought would be fun to do… until the tower fell over.

It’s important to note that this is NOT an overly sweet and indulgent cookie. It’s lightly sweetened, and you get a tiny bit of chocolate pleasure with the chips scattered around the cookie. My son (official cookie monster) liked them a lot and thought they tasted similar in texture and taste to a chocolate chip Clif Bar. I’d have to agree. And they’re a nice, little treat for someone who is managing their diet calories.  Separate portions into baggies and toss them in the freezer until the mood for cookies strikes.

Complete nutritional information and recipe can be found here:
Low Fat Oatmeal- Chocolate Chip Cookies

19 Responses to “Pretty Darn Good Low Fat Oatmeal- Chocolate Chip Cookies”

kellypea — September 14, 2010 @ 8:38 AM

We’re on the same wavelength. Diets abound here with my husband leading in the lbs. lost so far. You’re so right about making sure there are little treats here and there. I just made some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies to send to my son in a care package, and we split a cookie just to taste it. Talk about will power, right? Your cookie stack looks delish and the recipe something to try soon. :)

Eliana — September 14, 2010 @ 8:43 AM

Oatmeal cookies are my weakness! These look amazing!

The Duo Dishes — September 14, 2010 @ 10:58 AM

Just asked a blogging friend for suggestions on ways to cut fat and calories in baked goods. There are many ways of course, but sacrificing taste makes it difficult. Thanks for sharing this one!

Sues — September 14, 2010 @ 11:10 AM

Wow! I can’t believe these are “healthy” :) Then again, I’d probably eat 10 of them!! They look delicious.

Paula -bell'alimento — September 14, 2010 @ 11:27 AM

I think I need about a dozen of these right now ;) Delicious Lori!

Jane — September 14, 2010 @ 12:37 PM

If I make cookies, I always feel better about making an oatmeal cookie! Like the tiny bit of chocolate in this recipe!

Elizabeth — September 14, 2010 @ 1:59 PM

I love your blog page and quickly bookmarked this recipe. I am a dessert freak and any way to make them “healthier”, I’m on board! One thing I do is try to use raw honey in place of brown sugar. Sometimes it cuts the sweetness, but I did it in muffins and in choco chip cookies and they came out pretty good. Haven’t tried it in place of reg. sugar yet. I’m hoping that makes it better for me to eat ;O)

Liz @ LBBakes — September 15, 2010 @ 5:06 AM

These look great, Lori – I think I could eat that whole stack in one sitting. :)

Alison @ Ingredients — September 15, 2010 @ 6:17 AM

These look amazing. I want one now w/my coffee

Katrina — September 15, 2010 @ 6:59 AM

This is me. Make lots of goodies to give to other people, but eat healthy and have to. (Not really fair, is it?) But these cookies are the kind of thing I have for a treat so I’ll have to try them. Great tower!

MO — September 15, 2010 @ 12:28 PM

YUMMMMMMMMM…great pics too, I almost wanted to reach thru the computer screen to grab one…LOL!

Jenn, Leftover Queen — September 15, 2010 @ 6:14 PM

OMG! My last post is about healthy oatmeal cookies too! Jinx! LOL!

Jen Schall — September 17, 2010 @ 4:35 PM

These look good! I’ll have to give these a try. I can use a few more healthy recipes!

nicole kraft — September 18, 2010 @ 11:35 AM

wow! I am going to have to give these a try.. like NOW!!!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — September 25, 2010 @ 2:31 AM

Healthy never works for me, because I’d just end up eating a dozen or so of these! :P

Nicole — June 8, 2011 @ 9:04 AM

what kind of camera do you have?! it takes gorgeous pictures!!!!

oh yeah and the cookies look absolutely amazing as well(:

Lori Lange — June 9, 2011 @ 5:48 PM

Thanks! I have a Canon 40D at the moment.

Maryann — March 15, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

I made these today and I have to say they are excellent! Guilt free and they taste sinful. I used 70% dark chocolate that I chopped up in small pieces.
    Thank you for such a great recipe!

Jen — March 4, 2013 @ 7:43 AM

Thank you for this recipe! I made them last night. I substituted the chocolate chips with cinnamon chips. I also added a tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of nutmeg and 1/8 tsp cloves. They were delicious!