Halloween Recipes for Fans of Cinnamon Toast Crunch & Cocoa Puff’s cereals

A couple of weeks ago, the folks at General Mills contacted me to see if I might like to create some Halloween-Themed recipes (using General Mills cereals) for the Betty Crocker website. I did this last year & it was fun, so I thought I’d give it a shot. Any excuse to buy Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal and make some sweet treats with it sounds good to me :)

Last year I made what is now a family-favorite in our house: Pumpkin French Toast w/ Cinnamon Toast Crunch Crust. This year, I thought I might stick with the breakfast theme using the same cereal. We’re big on oatmeal in my house, and I thought I’d combine pumpkin with oatmeal to make a fun Halloween morning treat. So I created a Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Crumbles.

A pumpkin-spiced oatmeal mixture is baked in the oven. About half-way through baking, the oatmeal is topped with crumbled Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal. It bakes into the top layer of the oatmeal & it provides a slightly sweet crunch as you bite into the baked oatmeal with a drizzle of maple syrup. This is delicious when eaten nice and warm-  just as it comes out of the oven, and it’s best the day it’s made. Leftovers are good too, but you’ll need to add more crunch to any warmed up leftovers.

For my second recipe I used Cocoa Puffs.  I can’t tell you how excited that my son was that I actually purchased chocolate cereal for breakfast.  He was pretty bummed when I told him that he couldn’t eat any until I had a chance to come up with a recipe.  I created a fun Halloween treat for the kiddos: Chocolate- Hazelnut Spider Cupcakes.  And lucky for my son, there are leftover Cocoa Puffs for breakfast.

I made these super easy by using a boxed Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix to make the cupcakes (because you and I both know that kids can’t tell the difference between homemade and boxed mixes). The legs are the only time consuming part- I dipped stick pretzels in melted chocolate and then covered them with chocolate sprinkles. You can make that part a whole lot easier too by using Magic Shell to cover the pretzels with chocolate– no dipping required. Let the chocolate dry, then they’re ready to assemble.

Top the cupcake with a good dollop of the oh-so-amazing Chocolate- Hazelnut Spread (otherwise known as Nutella). If you don’t want to drop $$ for Nutella, go ahead and top it with your favorite chocolate frosting instead.

Spread out the “frosting,” and give your spider cupcake two cinnamon red hot eyes.

Dot the top of the cupcakes with Cocoa Puffs cereal.

Now the spooky, spidery cupcakes are ready for eating.

Have you thought about what treats you might be making for Halloween yet? You better get on that. It’s already Sept. 23rd ;)

Recipes w/ instructions can be found here:

Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Crumbles
Chocolate- Hazelnut Spider Cupcakes

Disclosure: I was not paid to write this post, but was merely invited to contribute to Betty Crocker’s holiday recipe collection.  General Mills sent me a $50 grocery card to cover the cost of groceries for recipe testing.

22 Responses to “Halloween Recipes for Fans of Cinnamon Toast Crunch & Cocoa Puff’s cereals”

sara — September 22, 2010 @ 10:19 PM

Adorable! I love that cupcake! :)

Mandy — September 22, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

Super fun & yummy!! Can’t wait to try the pumpkin pie oatmeal! We’re working on a few recipes this week–one down and four to go….my chocolate pumpkin bowls exploded on the first try!:)

Noble Pig — September 23, 2010 @ 6:22 AM

These are great recipes. We love oatmeal too!

Amanda — September 23, 2010 @ 6:28 AM

How cute Lori! Very creative!

Heather — September 23, 2010 @ 6:29 AM

Love the spider! Too cute! If that can’t get anyone ready for Halloween I don’t know what else will.
    And the Pumpkin Oatmeal…wow! That’s all I can say. We love oatmeal in my house and this looks amazing. Can’t wait to try it.
    Thanks Lori for sharing these with us.

Rhyleysgranny — September 23, 2010 @ 7:11 AM

Absolutely fabulous. I just love those spiders.

Kate — September 23, 2010 @ 7:22 AM

I’m a huge fan of cinnamon toast crunch. I love incorporating cereal into recipes. Thanks for the fabulous ideas!

nina — September 23, 2010 @ 7:38 AM

That cupcake will be a hit, whether we celebrate Halloween or not!!! The pumpkin pie is more my thing, divine!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — September 23, 2010 @ 8:01 AM

this is SO CUTE! i’m probably the minority, but i don’t really love Halloween…but i do love these cupcakes and will be making them!

Barbara — September 23, 2010 @ 8:21 AM

Those are the cutest cupcakes! Definitely going to make those.
    Fun for you to make yummy things with breakfast cereals!

LilSis — September 23, 2010 @ 8:34 AM

The Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal looks delicious and I love the spider cupcakes. VERY CUTE!

sterling style — September 23, 2010 @ 8:36 AM

wow that is so fun! I love this! I want to try this with my nieces!

Chicago Cuisine Crit — September 23, 2010 @ 8:44 AM

What great recipes!

Traci — September 23, 2010 @ 8:44 AM

This looks like an awesome breakfast for the kids!! (They are ALWAYS complaining about having to eat cold cereal everyday). I’ll make sure to give it to them on a school day, since I won’t have to deal with the sugar high, right? :) Thanks for sharing, and yes, I was totally somewhat kidding! :)

Lauren at KeepItSwee — September 23, 2010 @ 9:43 AM

so cute and fun!

Barbara Bakes — September 23, 2010 @ 12:35 PM

With Halloween falling on Sunday this year, it would be a perfect time to try out your baked pumpkin oatmeal for breakfast.

Liz @ LBBakes — September 24, 2010 @ 5:14 AM

Those cupcakes are so cute, Lori! I’m going to check out your pumpkin french toast recipe. :)

Lynn — September 24, 2010 @ 6:33 AM

Oh my gosh, you’re so creative! That spider cup cake looks a little too close to the real thing. My kids would scream if they saw it on the floor. (Oh, no, just had an evil thought….he he he)

VeggieGirl — September 24, 2010 @ 6:39 AM

Lori, may I PLEASE accept leftovers of any and all of those treats?!?!??! :-D

Katrina — September 24, 2010 @ 6:58 AM

Cute spider cupcake, Lori, but we’re having real issues with real tarantulas at our place right now, so not sure I could eat that. ;) I just made some cupcakes with Cocoa Puffs cereal, too and am about to post it, but yours are much more creative than mine!

The breakfast oatmeal looks de-lish though, I could eat that!

Barbara — September 24, 2010 @ 11:37 AM

My days of eating packaged sweetened cereals have been over for a couple of years as my kids went to college and have now moved out.

But I miss Cinnamon Toast Crunch; it was my single addiction out of the whole bunch so this treat looks like a good excuse to buy a box, right? I would need a recipe else I might use the entire box using only one ingredient. My hand.

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — September 25, 2010 @ 2:37 AM