Thanksgiving Desserts: Low Fat Pumpkin Cheesecake

Thanksgiving in the USA is approaching quickly, and although we like to think about the turkey and the football and the vacation we have from work or school, we also should be remembering what we’re thankful for. Something I observed this week, has had me thinking about how fortunate I am to have a wonderful, healthy family.

I was at the gym the other day doing some stretching on the floor after a run, and next to me was a Mother with her daughter. The daughter was mentally disabled. This Mother was doing exercises with her daughter- which doesn’t seem like any big deal, except that this Mother was so loving and gentle and patient with her daughter… giving her kisses and praise throughout their time together. For some reason this scenario has stuck with me this week. That little girl is so very fortunate to have that Mother. Just think what her life may have been like had she been born to someone without those wonderful qualities?  It’s made me take a good look at my relationship with my own child… and how much time I spend with him, how much we talk, what we say to each other and and what our relationship is really like. It’s the time of year to think about what we’re grateful for, and I’m definitely grateful for my family.

I feed my family well. I make warm dinners and homemade treats almost daily. And I’m pretty sure they’re grateful for all of that. I’m even a little conscientious about making healthy things from time to time, like this Low Fat Pumpkin Cheesecake.

Cheesecake is pretty much my favorite dessert of all time. It might sound a little out-of-sorts, but as food goes… I’m thankful for cheesecake. I like it plain and unadorned, and I often dream about that red velvet type.  I wanted to have cheesecake at my wedding, but it was nixed by my husband. Why I listened to him, I’ll never know.

I’m not the genius behind this cheesecake… Cooking Light is… but I have to say that I was pretty skeptical about how it would turn out. The crust is made from low fat vanilla wafers, and the filling has quite a lot of that fat-free cream cheese in it. How good could it be with all that reduced fat stuff in it, right?

But you know what’s great about this cheesecake? It’s creamy, it’s rich, and it’s delicious, EVEN THOUGH it’s low fat! I was surprised. Very surprised, in fact.  Remember… I’m a big cheesecake fan here, and this cheesecake turned out to be some pretty incredible stuff. It’s a nice “alternative” dessert to include at Thanksgiving (because I’m a firm believer that you should have at least a couple of dessert options on Thanksgiving Day!)  And if you have to eat gluten free, I’ve included tips on how to (very easily) adapt this recipe to be GF.

This recipe can be found here: Low Fat Pumpkin Cheesecake
Nutritional information & WW Points included

I’m also thankful for YOU, Dear Readers! Thank you for visiting my little recipe site and keeping it alive. I love your comments and tips and your willingness to try my recipe favorites. It all makes me very happy, and I love what I do!! :)

20 Responses to “Thanksgiving Desserts: Low Fat Pumpkin Cheesecake”

Jessica @ How Sweet — November 18, 2010 @ 3:45 AM

This looks way too delicious to be low fat. I love pumpkin cheesecake more than pumpkin pie!

Lauren at KeepItSwee — November 18, 2010 @ 4:06 AM

i’ve also made this cooking light recipe and was really happy with how it came out! i think that pumpkin has so much moisture that using it in low fat desserts works really well

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 18, 2010 @ 4:37 AM

I love pumpkin cheesecake. I’ve been wanting to try a low-fat version for a while now. I love how rich and creamy this looks :)

Lauren — November 18, 2010 @ 4:54 AM

You just can’t go wrong with a hybrid of cheesecake & pumpkin pie – two of my very favorite desserts! I am making individual ginger pumpkin cheesecakes this weekend, and hope they come out as beautiful as your cake :).

Gigi — November 18, 2010 @ 5:38 AM

I’ve been looking for a good recipe for a pumpkin cheesecake. I’m gonna give this one a try. Happy Thanksgiving!

Elle — November 18, 2010 @ 6:42 AM

Oh–what a sweet story! Yes, there is so much to be thankful for, and most often, all we have to do is open our eyes and look right in front of us. :)

The cheesecake looks incredible for low fat–and not at all what I expected it to look like. It looks fabulous!

A Bowl Of Mush — November 18, 2010 @ 11:18 AM

This looks AMAZING!!

Leslie Green — November 18, 2010 @ 12:56 PM

I am always amazed when I see people with copious amounts of patients.
    Love the pumpkin cheesecake!

What Happens After F — November 18, 2010 @ 5:09 PM

I love cheesecake…and this looks delicious!!

Christene — November 18, 2010 @ 5:33 PM

Thank you, dear Lady, for a healthier version of something yummy! I’m on a roll losing weight, but thinking of missing out on festive goodies makes me waver. Now I can just find healthier versions. Thanks!!

Gina @ Skinnytaste — November 18, 2010 @ 5:50 PM

Lori, this looks delicious!!

Karina’s Kitchen is also a great Gluten Free Resource for your Mom! Crazy how many people suddenly can’t eat wheat!

Celiacs in the House — November 18, 2010 @ 6:28 PM

Lori
    Cheesecake is my favorite and pumpkin cheesecake is even better. Sorry to hear about your mom, but glad she now has a diagnosis and her Recipe Girl on the job. The GF substitutions will make a lot of us celiacs happy.
    Wendy

Liz @ LBBakes — November 19, 2010 @ 6:31 AM

I agree with Jessica — HOW is this low fat?! I wish I had a slice of this for a mid-morning snack right now :)

Lindsey — November 19, 2010 @ 7:45 AM

This looks absolutely delicious. I will be book marking this recipe for the next time I have company!

Katrina — November 20, 2010 @ 9:02 PM

Aw, great post, Lori! Definitely need to remember our blessings!
    The cheesecake sounds great!

LunaCafe — November 21, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

Wow, this looks fanastic. So creamy! Darn, I wish I had a piece right now. :-) …Susan

Barbara — November 22, 2010 @ 6:05 AM

Oh my, Lori. That looks fabulous. And I won’t feel so guilty!

Wendie — February 2, 2011 @ 10:38 AM

Have you tried making this as individual cheesecakes? If so, how long do you bake them? They look wonderful…would love to offer at a buffet style luncheon.

Lori Lange — February 3, 2011 @ 7:34 AM

@Wendie, I have not. I’ve done others that way though and you’ll just have to watch them while they’re cooking to determine when they appear done!

Hose Jemanez — December 18, 2013 @ 4:33 AM

I made this with a substitute sugar free sweetner and it tasted very good.
    My wife could not tell that it was lower in fat. Near as I can tell its about 6 grams of fat per serving, roughly