Healthy Start to the Year & Healthy Recipes to Share

As usual, I’ve started the year on a healthy journey… eating right and exercising. My facebook fans have asked for more healthy recipes this year, so I’ll be taking Saturdays on the blog to share my thoughts on getting healthy and always sharing a few new recipes.

Though you certainly can’t tell from my postings, I’ve been on the Weight Watchers program since early October. It’s been a successful decision so far… losing just about 20 pounds and still at it. Christmas holidays provided a bit of a stumbling block with vacation and traveling and endless sweet treats and comfort food lying around, but I managed to survive and gained less than 2 pounds. Those pounds are already gone again as I quickly got back into my healthy routine last week.  I’m happy with slow loss as I enjoy food and wine (& desserts!) and I have to let myself have balance or I’ll go nuts.

If you’re concerned with getting healthy this year too, you may wish to join in on a Facebook page started by Sarah’s Cucina Bella and Sweetnicks: Eat.Live.Be. For a Better 2011.  There you will find a bunch of wonderful people supporting each other on their healthy goals for 2011.  Otherwise, you’ll find me chatting up healthy things- on Saturdays only- right here on the blog.  You might see a few healthy recipes pop up during the week once in a while too.

My Goals:
*lose some more weight via Weight Watchers- maybe 15 to 20 pounds… slowly
*run a half-marathon in April and possibly June as well
*feed my family healthy meals

As promised, here are a couple of recipes I tried this week that I deem worthy of sharing!

A slow-cooker recipe, this soup was a nice surprise:  Ham and Lentil Soup.  I haven’t really done much with lentils before, so I was really delighted that I enjoyed this soup so much.  I was out shopping one day and came home so hungry that I was ready to open a bag of Cheetos and go at it.  Instead I warmed up a cup of this soup and was glad I did… in 10 minutes I actually didn’t feel hungry anymore.  Imagine if I had eaten handfuls of cheetos instead?  Relief.  I guess the bigger question is… why do I have cheetos in my pantry??

If you’re in the food business, you’ll begin to recognize USA national holidays such as National Popcorn Day and Nutella Day. Last week there was a National Spaghetti Day, so I went with this Weight Watchers Spaghetti Bolognese. It was delicious- but see my tips in the recipe for how to make it even better. Having pasta for dinner when you’re trying to eat light is a pretty big treat, I think. It’s filling and satisfying and there are ways to serve it up so it’s not such an evil dinner.   And just for the record, today happens to be National English Toffee Day :)

So, will you be joining me on a healthy journey this year? What’s your plan?

Recipes can be found here:
Ham and Lentil Soup
Weight Watchers Spaghetti Bolognese

Other links you might find useful:
Healthy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Top 100 Exercise Songs for Your iPod
Weight Watchers Recipes (most still have old points system listed, but there is nutritional information so you can use your points calculator to figure out the new points- I’ll be revising everything… all in due time!)
Low Fat Recipes
Hal Higdon’s Half Marathon Training Program
Couch to 5K Running Plan

18 Responses to “Healthy Start to the Year & Healthy Recipes to Share”

Courtney — January 8, 2011 @ 9:10 AM

I make so many goals, but struggle to keep with them. I will try this year more than last if all the meals taste like they look! Yum look at that Bolognese! :)

sara — January 8, 2011 @ 10:04 AM

I’ve been on a “healthier me” quest since about July of this past year, and so I’m continuing it in the new year. I do it through a combination of Health Month (http://healthmonth.com) and Spark People (http://sparkepeople.com).

Lauren at KeepItSwee — January 8, 2011 @ 10:37 AM

I also joined WW recently (did it almost 8 years ago successfully). Congrats on losing 20 pounds already!!!

Tracy Rah Cha Chow — January 8, 2011 @ 11:32 AM

GREAT JOB on losing the 20 lbs! I joined WW last week although the amount of weight I have to lose is daunting. When I start a diet I always try to eat as little as possible to get a good jump start but this time I’m eating all the points so I don’t have the mad swing between being “on program” and “off program.” I love the look of the lentil soup. I made turkey soup this week and it was 3 points too. That’s quite a bargain for the major part of the meal.

Jessica — January 8, 2011 @ 1:22 PM

WOW…Congrats on your weight loss! Keep it up! Thanks for the great, light recipes.

Elenor — January 8, 2011 @ 6:02 PM

I’m SO excited for WW recipes!!! These both look delicious!

Congrats on your weight loss!! I started WW almost ten years ago and still log my points every day. It changed everything for me–I still have issues around the holidays, but I know I can get any gains back off shortly after. I haven’t gained more than six pounds over goal since hitting it, and I know it’s because I still count points…and got rid of my bigger clothes when they didn’t fit anymore.

I see Hal as a running resource on your list–I followed his marathon truing plan several years ago and it was perfect–good luck with the race(s)!!

• Lori Lange replied: — January 8th, 2011 @ 8:07 PM

@Elenor, Wow, what motivation to see that you’ve been able to keep it all off for so long!

VeggieGirl — January 9, 2011 @ 3:37 AM

Congratulations on your goals, Lori! I’m rooting for you throughout 2011 :)

I was able to gain the weight I needed in order to be healthy and not sickly. My goal is to maintain that weight (NOT lose any weight) and to continue to nourish myself adequately. I’m ready!

Judy B. - Texas — January 9, 2011 @ 6:23 AM

Lost 25 lbs last year and have kept it off…planning to lose a little more this year (have diabetes so controlling weight is so important). Thanks for the recipes; have saved and downloaded – making the sauce for dinner tonight. I’ve found the Fat Flush plan to work for me plus staying away from all “white” foods and fast food lanes!

Margaret — January 9, 2011 @ 8:00 AM

That bolobnese looks really good. Not bad for healthy!!

Margaret — January 9, 2011 @ 8:01 AM

Sorry, that should have been bolognese!!!! Fat fingers!!!

Amanda L. — January 9, 2011 @ 3:20 PM

Good luck on running your first half! I ran my first half marathon in October and it was fantastic. I would suggest checking out runnersworld.com that’s where i found my half marathon training schedule.

Kate @ Diethood.com — January 9, 2011 @ 4:31 PM

Congratulations on the weight loss!
    That ham and lentil soup looks amazing – I love lentils!

Diane-thewholegang — January 9, 2011 @ 4:48 PM

Lori I love your goals, your recipes and the fact you’re working on them. Congrats on losing 20 pounds. I remember talking with you at IFBC, did I see you at BlogHer Food? it’s all a bur but it sounds like you might need to poke me when I see you again. I might not recognize you. How are you liking the new Points Plus? I’m loving it.

I’ve added hot vinyasa flow yoga to my get healthy protocol and the difference it has made is amazing!

Here’s to great health.

Katrina — January 9, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

Great job on the 20 pounds lost!
    I’ve lost 3 1/2 pounds since the day after Christmas. In a race with my friend to see who can lose 10 first.
    Happy 2011.

martha — January 15, 2011 @ 10:31 AM

I love your slow steady approach to eating better and weight loss! It’s really the only sustainable way and so much more enjoyable than trying to do too much and ending up feeling deprived. Congratulations on your weight loss. As a food blogger, that is an especially challenging accomplishment :-)

Cella — November 7, 2011 @ 3:46 PM

So happy that everyone here is losing weight the right way! :)
    Not in WW but the spaghetti bolognese looks out of this world!
    I’m definitely going to share it in a recipe post on my new blog about healthy lifestyle changes!

coffeediva — January 30, 2013 @ 11:10 AM

Love your recipe blog! Both the Lentil soup and the spaghetti bolognese recipes look like something that’s right up my alley. I want to try them both. And I had to smile about your Cheeto comment. I’m a pretty healthy eater but Cheetos are most definitely a weakness of mine. I try not to indulge in them often but sometimes I just have to have a small bag :-) Thank you for the recipes and have a wonderful day.