Motivation… and Ugly Recipes Need Love Too.

In my next Healthy Saturday’s series, I wanted to ask readers about motivation.
What do you have in mind as motivators for eating healthy and exercising?

Here are my top 5 motivators:

*Me, and how I Feel: When I feel good about myself and my body and my well-being, everyone benefits. I’m more productive (energizer bunny-like), I’m happy and I’m easier to get along with :)

*My Family…My Health: I cook healthy meals that we sit down and eat together. We don’t eat out much, which is better on the waistline and saves cash too. My family, in turn, has a healthy mindset too. They make good food choices and they choose to exercise along with me. Hopefully, we’ll all be well and live longer because of our healthy choices!

*Clothes: This actually might be #1!  I love when my clothes fit, and I love it even more when my SKINNY clothes fit! Shopping is a whole lot more fun when you’re down a couple of sizes.

*Living in Southern California: It’s sunny here and the people are- in general- fit and thin. I don’t think I have a single close friend that is really ever overweight. That’s a tough pill to swallow when you struggle with weight yourself. I think it’s safe to say that I’ll never truly be “skinny,” but it’s easier to feel like you fit-in when you’re fit and thin(ner) too.

*Other people’s compliments: Yeah, I love compliments. They have been few and far-between with my current weight loss, but one nice compliment about how I look can last me a long time. Would you believe that after my 20+ pound loss, none of my friends has said a word? Did they not notice, or is it weird to say something? 20+ pounds?? I find it very strange.

In any case, that’s a little bit of my motivation. What’s yours??

Because ugly recipes need love too, here are a couple of (delicious) but not very photogenic healthy dinner recipes to share with you:

This Three Bean and Sausage Bake (a quick & easy casserole recipe) is a big hit with my family. It’s ugly, but it’s really great served over a little bit of cornbread. I’m a fan of three bean salad, which- for whatever reason- is what this casserole reminds me of. The recipe calls for it to be topped with low fat cheese. Low fat cheese melts and then quickly congeals… creating ugly. It’s good though… I promise! Weight Watchers points and nutritional information can both be found in the recipe.

This super simple Cranberry Pork Roast recipe is done in the crockpot. I was pretty excited to find another crockpot recipe worth sharing. It’s basically kind of like a pulled pork with a cranberry sauce. Ugly, but good :)

These recipes can be found here:
Three-Bean and Sausage Bake
Cranberry Pork Roast

More healthy/ Weight Watchers recipes you might enjoy on the blogs:
Weight Watchers Asian Zero Points Soup by A Veggie Venture
Crockpot Barbecue Beef Sandwiches by Culinary Covers
Baked Turkey Taquitos by The Creative Mama
Weight Watchers Cinnamon Rolls by Culinary Covers
Top 20 Skinny Recipes from 2010 by Skinny Taste

22 Responses to “Motivation… and Ugly Recipes Need Love Too.”

Lauren at KeepItSwee — January 22, 2011 @ 5:48 AM

Wow, 20 pounds and no comment?! Jealousy maybe?? Although, sometimes people feel funny commenting on weight because you don’t want the person to think you thought they needed to lose weight to begin with. Clothes are my number one motivator now!

Evan Thomas — January 22, 2011 @ 6:06 AM

I think the cranberry pork roast looks amazing, messy glaze and all.
    I think the best motivation is the feeling of accomplishment you get when you do something that at one point felt impossible. That’s why I love running. Each new mile feels great.

Tracy — January 22, 2011 @ 7:05 AM

Well first off, CONGRATULATIONS and great job on the weight loss! Honestly, I don’t think people check out each other’s bodies that closely. I had a friend chew me out for not noticing her weight loss (in the 20 lb range) and when she pointed it out, I noticed. But I just hadn’t looked that closely.

I’m on Weight Watchers and have a long way to go but I’m really enjoying the program this time. Thanks for including recipes with points — whether or not they make for a pretty picture!

Kristi — January 22, 2011 @ 7:08 AM

My best motivation right now is thinking about the kind of grandmother I want to be in the future. I want to be the thin, active kind who can play!

I have lost 25 pounds recently and no one has said anything either. I have lots left to lose though so maybe that’s part of mine at least. Or maybe you’re right and people feel weird about saying anything.

Mary W — January 22, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

Have they at least told you that you look great? I have to admit that I’m not the best at noticing weight loss OR gain, even in myself. If it weren’t for how I feel and my tight clothes, I wouldn’t notice myself getting bigger.

BUT I do notice when someone looks great for one reason or another, and I often give a compliment and get the reply that she’s lost a ton of weight.

For whatever reason that they’re not saying anything, weight loss is for YOU and it shouldn’t rob you of any of your well-earned joy!!

Hallie — January 22, 2011 @ 10:09 AM

Are you still wearing the same clothing? When I lost weight and was still wearing my old jeans, no one noticed, but when I got clothes in my new size and wore those (i.e. they hugged my smaller body instead of falling off) the comments shot up. Also, it’s a sensitive thing for some people, they don’t know what to say. I always try to compliment people when I notice they’ve lost weight, because I KNOW how motivating it is. Keep on trucking!

My motivation….my wedding in less than six month. ‘Nuff said

• Lori Lange replied: — January 22nd, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

@Hallie, None of my bigger clothes fit anymore… in fact, my skinny clothes are even getting too big for me! So I’m definitely wearing tighter fitting clothes.

LilSis — January 22, 2011 @ 1:21 PM

Hi Lori,
    My motivators are somewhat similar to yours. Living here in Southern California definitely is a major motivator, as we can practically wear shorts year round and can literally be at the beach in swimsuits in March or April!

I feel better if I can keep myself at my ideal weight. Even an extra five pounds makes a difference in how I feel in my clothes.

And, like you said, when you feel good about yourself, you’re just happier and everyone else is happier, too.

Keep up the great work! 20 pounds is a great accomplishment. I’m puzzled as to how good friends wouldn’t notice. Congrats! I bet you feel great!

Theresa — January 22, 2011 @ 2:32 PM

That cranberry pork has me drooling! Maybe none of your friends have complimented you on your weight loss because it’s a sensitive topic? I recently thought I noticed that my hair stylist lost some weight, but I was afraid if I asked, “Have you lost weight?”, should would say “No. Are you saying I need to? / Are you saying I looked fat before? / etc.” Once she came out and said she’s been eating better and lost some weight, I told her I had noticed and that she looked great!

Gina @ Skinnytaste — January 22, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

My clothes number one. And the dressing room in Lord and Taylor! The mirrors, the lights, that always gets me to head straight for the gym!

Kara T. — January 22, 2011 @ 6:39 PM

Ya know, weight is a funny thing. I have been consistently losing weight for the last 6 years but last year took off nearly 50 pounds. I am a hairdresser so I have a lot of people I see every 4,6,8,10,12(etc)weeks. Some clients comment when I lose 1-2 pounds. Sometimes I’ll drop a good 10 within a 4 week span and no one says a word. I am not sure if people just think socially it’s unacceptable, or if they might even be jealous. That’s my theory for my mom anyway. When we talk weight she says “I just don’t want you to gain it all back.” Real supportive, but just more motivation to reach my goals.

Of all things that motivate me, is accomplishing things that I didn’t think I could. Sometimes when I’m running and I realize I am 8,10 miles in I get chills just thinking about the obese teenager I once was, that couldn’t even run the mile in gym class. I am proud of my accomplishment of running a half marathon and excited for the challenge of training for my upcoming full. My mantra is “Pain is temporary, quitting is forever.”

• Lori Lange replied: — January 23rd, 2011 @ 9:13 AM

@Kara T., Your comment is great motivation to me… 6 years??? That’s a long time to be committed- good for you! I’m signed up for my first 1/2 marathon in April. In the midst of the training for it right now. It seems impossible, but I suppose I’ll get there eventually!

Cookin' Canuck — January 23, 2011 @ 7:11 AM

Congratulations on your 20+ pound weight loss, Lori! That’s a huge accomplishment. Keep giving us the healthy recipe.

Courtney — January 23, 2011 @ 9:15 AM

I have been struggling to lose about 10lbs that I put on since November. It’s a big battle and I enjoy eating so it’s not so easy. I did the WW thing once before my wedding just because my dress was a little snug. Honestly, it was the ONLY diet that ever worked for me. I feel like the whole diary thing was the key to all of the success. I believe so many people forget what they eat and then just eat more. When you look at what you’ve eaten already you realize, am I really hungry? Anyway thank you so much for the recipes! Can’t wait to try some :)

Celia — January 23, 2011 @ 9:17 AM

Congrats on the weight loss! One thing re: friend compliments…I think people can sometimes be afraid to mention weight loss at all. Sometimes a person hasn’t actually lost, or has lost unintentionally and was OK with their previous size. Kind of a social minefield, generally. That said, that shouldn’t stop girlfriends from just telling each other they look awesome!

Speaking of looking awesome – love the ugly/tasty recipes. I try to mix up my posts and throw some unattractive ones up (and occasional styling failures) there along with the sparkly cupcakes. When you’re actually eating dinner taste matters more than looks – and that pork roast looks super tasty!

Lindsay H — January 23, 2011 @ 9:25 AM

my motivation is to be healthier.

I eat more whole grains & vitamin rich foods. my secret weapon is putting as many veggies as I can into a recipe. I make something similar to your bean & sausage casserole with leeks, tomatoes, mushrooms, shallots, savoy cabbage & turkey sausage, really whatever veggies I have in the house, it’s WW friendly!

Sarah, Maison Cupcak — January 23, 2011 @ 9:26 AM

I wish I’d come here sooner because I remember how much you inspired me last year when you did Ten in Ten and I lost 12lb in six weeks. Sadly it’s all gone back on with more so I’m at that up hill struggle stage at the moment.

Well done on the 20lb loss, not sure why the friends haven’t said anything although my best friend used to get really mad with me when I never noticed her hair cuts. I used to defend myself that I saw her the person and not the hair cut (which was true) so maybe that’s what’s going on, your friends are so familiar with you that it will take them longer to notice.

Kate @ Diethood.com — January 23, 2011 @ 9:46 AM

I’d love a bite of the Cranberry Pork Roast – it sounds fabulous!

My motivation is my wardrobe! Honestly! I can’t afford to gain weight … I can’t spend any more money on clothes, so I have to keep at this weight if I don’t want to walk around naked. :)

Janet — January 23, 2011 @ 10:07 AM

I can’t see the ugly in those dishes- they look simply delish to me! I feel so frustrated right now. I’ve gained back all I had lost last year… seems that I let everything get in the way of taking care of myself. I’m determined this year to change that. I’m thankful to have friends like you that understand the struggle, and devote the time that you do in sharing that with us, as well as ways to help us succeed on our own journeys.

Leslie Green — January 23, 2011 @ 11:37 AM

I think you need to get some more supportive(or less jealous) friends!!! 20 pounds is amazing, congratulations!

DianasaurDishes — January 23, 2011 @ 1:04 PM

Good for you Lori! I would never have guessed you struggle with weight, I was just struck the moment I met you by how gorgeous you are!

I honestly don’t really notice when friends or family that I see often lose weight. I think it’s kind of like with friends’ babies who I only see twice a month and every time I comment on how much the baby has grown they say they haven’t really noticed. It’s hard to notice if someone has lost 20 lbs over the last 5 times I saw vs. losing 20 lbs since the last time I saw them.

That said, I’m so proud of you and love how you are helping to motivate other people in their health and fitness goals. You go girl!

• Lori Lange replied: — January 23rd, 2011 @ 1:52 PM

@DianasaurDishes, You’re the sweetest friend ever :) Thanks so much for your sweet words!!