Can You Unplug on Vacation (literally)?

It happens every time we head out on vacation. My husband begins encouraging me to get things in order so I’m not tempted to be tethered to my iPhone or glued to my computer. I try. I really do. But I have a tough time completely unplugging.

Sure, I can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the sunset… but my iPhone is usually somewhere nearby. Call it an addiction. It probably is.

There are certainly some who have not a worry in the world.

I envy those critters (or people) as I sneak off to the library to use the public computer, making sure I don’t have any frantic emails from readers with recipe questions.

This beach kitty certainly isn’t worried about checking his email. He doesn’t seem to have a worry in the world.  I guess that’s how vacation should be- worry free and relaxing.  Beach kitty’s name happens to be Brady (as in Tom Brady, I think).

When you’re on vacation, you should be able to just enjoy the beauty of things.

Things like beautiful fruit at the local Farmer’s Market.

Or the landscape around you.

Enjoy, relax, don’t worry, and unplug.

By the way… all photos here were taken with the addiction in question (my iPhone) via the Instagram App (my other addiction).  You can find me on Instagram @RecipeGirl.

So how about it? Are you able to unplug (completely) when you go on vacation? What are your tips for being successful at this?  I hope you can teach me… my husband will thank you :)

27 Responses to “Can You Unplug on Vacation (literally)?”

Janelle — August 6, 2011 @ 7:04 AM

I’ve heard a lot about “unplugging” this summer, and how people need to unwind and de-stress. The fact is that for some people, being out of contact, and then having a week’s worth of emails, etc. to catch up on at the end, is MORE stressful than checking in once or twice a day while vacationing can be. When I visit family or otherwise go out of town, I’m fully reachable by phone. I check email and Facebook about twice a day — midday and before bed. If I don’t keep up on those, they get a bit out of control. But I don’t keep up with reading blogs or participating in forums. Those can and should wait. But if I don’t keep up elsewhere, it takes more than a full day to electronically “recover” from vacation, and that serves no one well.

Jennifer — August 6, 2011 @ 7:04 AM

Suggest to him that next vacation, he should take you out of cell phone range :) I (a fellow addict) went away a few weeks ago to “middleofnowhere, USA” and my iPhone was only useful as a cemera. My husband and I had THE BEST time together.

Julie — August 6, 2011 @ 7:05 AM

I struggle with unplugging while I’m on vacation but I’m looking forward to going to Cancun in October and forcing myself to unplug…completely! I think what helps me unplug is to remind myself that I need to be living in the moment of what is happening around me on vacation. While all of my emails, texts, facebooks, blogs, etc are important they will all still be there when I check back later and the world won’t fall apart if I ignore them for a couple of days.

Janet — August 6, 2011 @ 7:07 AM

Oh wow, I can soooo relate to this! That is why I cut back my Twitter usage by 75%- I was getting absolutely nothing done that surrounded me. And on vacations, I was anxious that I was missing something. I’m so glad you decided to start this section- its fab already! Most definitely relevant ;)

Lori Lange — August 6, 2011 @ 7:12 AM

It’s funny you mention that. Last summer we were in the Middle of Nowhere, Montana. No internet and no cell phone service… and the nearest town was 20 miles away. It truly was relaxing and wonderful (and my husband LOVED it!)

Lori Lange — August 6, 2011 @ 7:14 AM

I think you’re right. It’s sometimes stressful to have all of that stuff piling up. My husband tells me though that the world isn’t going to fall apart if I don’t check my email… that I won’t lose readers of my blog, etc. He’s probably right too. Maybe if he takes me to Europe next summer, I’ll concede :)

Lori Lange — August 6, 2011 @ 7:15 AM

Exactly. Have fun in Cancun!

Lori Lange — August 6, 2011 @ 7:16 AM

Funny you mention that. At the beginning of this vacation, my husband specifically requested that I limit my Twitter time. In fact, I even tweeted about that! I was good in the beginning, but then fell back into my busy tweeting routine. It truly is an addiction. I don’t want to miss out on what is going on!

Janelle — August 6, 2011 @ 7:29 AM

I’d concede for Europe. :)

Laura @ Family Spice — August 6, 2011 @ 7:41 AM

Go to Yosemite. There’s very little cell coverage there. I had no choice but to unplug. Since I got my iPhone in Feb. I’ve noticed I’m wired way too many hours during the day. And I’m not tweeting all the time. But, we do it because we love what we do.

Lori Lange — August 6, 2011 @ 9:18 AM

I’ve noticed the same since I got my iPhone too. It’s just way too easy to “quickly check on things.” Yep, love what I do… definitely! But my family is sad when I can’t just leave it all and be completely with them.

Steve — August 6, 2011 @ 10:55 AM

Disconnecting is definitely hard to do. If I’m not expecting anything important I try to leave my phone behind when heading out (but that sometimes causes anxiety too) and right now since my BB trackball is stuck I’ve been a lot less active using the phone for Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I think trying to schedule check-in times on vacation makes a lot of sense. Maybe once in the morning and once at night. That way it doesn’t pile up and you can be totally present the rest of the time.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — August 6, 2011 @ 11:36 AM

I recently was gone for 4 days and decided that I would refrain from checking email as I would be typically only able to read them and not actively conquer the latest client emergency. That seemed like a good plan until I opened up my email on Monday morning and had 394 messages in my inbox.

Overwhelming is an understatement so the next time if I’m not going to check it, I need to hire someone else to do it for me, or else vacation time is pretty much eradicated by the extra hours required to get ready to leave coupled with the long days after returning to catch up. Though guess that’s the lament of many small business owners…and why I seldom get away in the first place!

bridget {bake at 350} — August 6, 2011 @ 12:39 PM

I am not great about unplugging. Well, I can let emails sit unanswered for a few days…and I don’t mind going several days without blogging. But TWITTER?!? Oh, twitter….I can’t quit it.

Lori Lange — August 9, 2011 @ 6:48 AM

You’re right there… the anxiety can be big. I like the idea of checking in just once or twice a day and leaving the rest of the day for relaxing time.

Lori Lange — August 9, 2011 @ 6:49 AM

Eek- that’s a whole lot of email!

Lori Lange — August 9, 2011 @ 6:50 AM

I PROMISED my husband that I wouldn’t be attached to Twitter this summer. I failed miserably. I can’t quit it either ;)

Bev Weidner — August 9, 2011 @ 8:16 PM

Vacation? Come again?

Absolutely not. sad, yes. pathetic, yes. truth??? yes.

Barefeet In The Kitchen — August 9, 2011 @ 9:27 PM

I can unplug for a few hours at a time on vacation. However, I enjoy technology far too much to enjoy that much downtime if it didn’t involve the internet. Our phones have just made it way too easy! And yet, I can’t leave home with it.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — August 10, 2011 @ 4:26 AM

Lori this is such a big topic and I don’t think I can ever really unplug, no. Sorry! Well, not that sorry :)

See, when our livelihoods, our social lives, our family members, jobs, etc are all far away or virtual or remote, being able to be in touch with these people IS important.

Now, I dont have to keep up quite the pace with it all that I do when I am home, but I am not one of those people who just shuts down my macbook and iphone for a few days or a week+ at a time…nope. Not me.

I’d miss “talking” to people, i.e. reading their blogs, their twitter feed, and seeing what they’re up to…that’s relaxing to me. I may be crazy of course :) Plus I want to update my own feeds, blog, etc.

I also love my yoga, running, beach walks and chill time, of course, too!

You are drop dead gorgeous in your pics..you look awesome. You’re doing a good job of balancing it all :)

Megan — August 15, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

I can only truly unplug when there is no connection. But I usually always have a cell phone connection.

Kara — August 29, 2011 @ 6:08 PM

Hi Lori -
    Love the pictures and the photos of Brady. We spent the day at the beach today! Hope all is well. Your beach ‘neighbor’ – kara

Lori Lange — August 30, 2011 @ 1:31 PM

How have I not met you? ;)

Kara — September 2, 2011 @ 7:07 PM

We met (briefly) a couple years ago…. (My son James hangs with ‘Recipe Boy’ on the beach!) I usually have my nose buried in a magazine and you are usually cooking. ;)

Lori Lange — September 3, 2011 @ 6:35 AM

Oh dear, of course I remember you! Brooks loves James :) B is back there w/ Dad right now for Labor Day races. Maybe you will be there too?

Joanne San Soucie — September 15, 2014 @ 6:49 AM

Did you go to Brant Rock on vaca? I grew up there every summer at Blackman’s Point. Just was in Brant Rock last Sat. with my mom, we had lunch at Mama Mia’s too.

Lori Lange — September 15, 2014 @ 6:52 AM