My Kid Had a Lemonade Stand Today, So Why Am *I* So Exhausted?

We sure do a lot for our kids. And by we, I mean you and me and everyone out there. At least I hope everyone out there is doing a lot for their kids. I have one kid, so it’s “technically” easier than most. I can’t imagine having two to juggle, and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have a blog at all if I had three or more. I love being a Mom, but MAN it’s exhausting.

The plan was easy enough. In the last week of his summer vacation, my son told me that he was going to set up a lemonade stand. His plan was to make a little extra cash selling lemon (and lime) ade and homemade cookies.

I had a busy week planned, so I told him he’d have to do all the work. He picked the lemons and limes.

He worked very hard using our citrus juicer to extract the juice.

And then we made the lemonade together, adjusting the sweetness to our liking.

He made cookies and brownies…

…and he packaged and priced the goods.

So why am I so exhausted? It was the consulting: where he should set up, how he should set up, how he should price things, what to put on the sign, which day to have it, which friend to ask to help him, what to wear, and days of constant discussion about it all!!… It was the shopping: the paper for the signs, the cookie ingredients and the last minute brownie mix. It was the teaching: how to make simple syrup, how to approach the customer, chewing gum while making the cookie dough so you’re not tempted to nibble, cleaning up as you go along while you’re in the kitchen…

…and showing the consumer that your product is a quality product.  This sign was actually all his idea, not mine!  I merely mentioned that he may want to share with his buyers that his lemonade is all natural, and he went to town with his interpretation of that.  Funny little 10 year old, isn’t he?

Although I’m exhausted, I’m happy that my son had a chance to have his lemonade stand.  I’m fortunate that I had the time to give to him.  Kids learn some valuable lessons having experiences like this.  He and his friend sold out of product and came away with a handful of spending money.  The lemonade stand was a rockin’  in our neighborhood, and it’s always fun to see the community come together support the kids’ efforts.

So what do you think… Do you put forth the effort to make sure your kids have these kinds of experiences?  Are you too busy for this sort of thing?  Or are you Super-Mom-in-the-making?

18 Responses to “My Kid Had a Lemonade Stand Today, So Why Am *I* So Exhausted?”

Janet — August 10, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

I love this! These are the things that, no matter how busy we get as parents, need to make time to share with our kids. It’s more than lemonade. It’s teaching them how to be businessmen and women of the future, as well as bonding time. You are right, also, in saying how busy it would be with 2 or more kids. Having 4 that are vastly spread out, it’s a different kind of busy every day- and my ‘lil ‘ol blog has certainly suffered! But they come first…. with a lemonade on the side ;)

• Lori Lange replied: — August 12th, 2011 @ 6:42 AM

We’re all about teaching our kid about business. He loves it!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — August 10, 2011 @ 6:27 PM

I know that was hella lotta work for YOU and I remember my mother saying the same thing with Cool-Aid stands. But yes, as moms, we ALL try to do our best, to give that extra energy, to help our kids understand, grow, learn…even when we’d rather be drinking a lemondrop martini :)

• Lori Lange replied: — August 12th, 2011 @ 6:43 AM

I don’t even want to think about the last time I drank a lemondrop martini!!

Tara @ The Butter Dish — August 10, 2011 @ 6:38 PM

You know Lori, I think a lemonade stand is practically a rite of passage for a kid. I had one, my sisters had one.

Sadly people in today’s society have lost sight of the simple pleasures of life & childhood. Several times in the past years and very recently in the past month I read stories of kids being forced by law to shut their lemonade stands down.
    One little girl was actually fined $500.

I think it’s wonderful you and Recipe Boy were able to share such a wonderful tradition together. There’s definitely nothing artificial or unnatural at all about that.
    Cheers to you both Lori!

• Lori Lange replied: — August 12th, 2011 @ 6:45 AM

I just heard that from someone else- that someone was ticketed for setting up a lemonade stand in a public place without a permit. Bummer that the innocence of a kid’s lemonade stand has to be shattered by laws like that. Luckily, we’re sort of tucked away where no one is likely to bother us.

Sarah — August 10, 2011 @ 7:26 PM

Wow! What a great idea! You did good mom :)

• Lori Lange replied: — August 12th, 2011 @ 6:46 AM

thanks!

Heather — August 10, 2011 @ 7:33 PM

My little one is only 7 months old but I cannot wait to do these fun things with him once he gets older! You are a great mom and recipeboy will always remember when his mom helped him with his lemonade stand :)

By the way I am loving your new Beyond Food section!

• Lori Lange replied: — August 11th, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

I’m glad you’re loving it. I’m enjoying having a place to talk about stuff other than food :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — August 10, 2011 @ 7:52 PM

Where I come from (Malaysia), there isn’t such traditions growing up. It’s fun to see how kids do that over here. A lot of life lessons can be gained having a lemonade stand. You are a great mom, and your son – a gem!

• Lori Lange replied: — August 12th, 2011 @ 6:47 AM

Thank you :) Yeah, I wonder how this whole lemonade stand thing got started in the US. Clearly, it was long ago since I remember them from when I was little too!

Lindsay — August 11, 2011 @ 6:43 AM

Your son is too cute. I remember holding regular bake sales when I was little… my sister and I would setup at the top of our driveway with homemade cookies and brownies and (gasp!) powdered lemonade. We lived along a popular bike route and right before a big hill… so we always had really good business. I’m sure my mom could relate to this post!

• Lori Lange replied: — August 12th, 2011 @ 6:48 AM

I’m sure powdered lemonade is still pretty commonplace. But you know… as RecipeGirl I couldn’t very well send my kid out there with something like that, right?!

Angie @ Bigbearswife — August 11, 2011 @ 7:07 AM

I’m glad he had a good turn out for his lemonade stand. We use to do lemonade stands when I was little. I remember our neighbors (and best friends) would hold these huge yard sales and my little brother and I would set up a lemonade stand in our yard. It was a lot of fun, I will always remember tho, that my dad taught us from a young age about how to make money, save money etc, so this Lemonade stand was a big deal to us becasue it was “our business” as 6-7 year olds lol. I remember this one time (the only bad experiance I ever had with a lemonade stand), this lady and her son were at the yard sale, and her son was beggin for lemonade, and whining and what not, and she kept saying no, he kept begging for 25 cents and she kept telling him no, and then she finally came over and demanded that we give him a cup of lemonade, and when we said “that will be 25 cents”, she was nuts on us, and started screaming and yelling (at 6 year olds). … yeah… my dad let her have it lol. But other than that, I loved them :)

Lucy — August 11, 2011 @ 7:09 AM

Oh, I love it! What a beautiful stand and I’m impressed with his perseverance and dedication to his project–picking lemons, squeezing them and baking cookies? That’s pretty amazing for a 10 yr old. Kudos to mom–these are the things he (and you) will remember in another 10 years. Never miss an opportunity to make a memory.

Julie — August 11, 2011 @ 9:45 PM

I don’t have kids yet, but I always support local lemonade stands as long as the kids are nice and have manners!

Kayla — August 17, 2011 @ 12:52 PM

I love how the bigger brownies are 15cents more than the smaller ones. :)