Why You Should Never Drink… anything… While Working On Your Computer

Last summer I bought one of those cute, little, easy-to-carry-around computers: a netbook. It was so great to travel with, I was able to write my blog easy enough on the little thing, and I could download pictures too. Whenever I found myself stuck at the auto dealership or other places where the wait can be torturous, the netbook came along in my purse and I was able to get some work done or surf the internet.

And then came this summer. Again, the netbook traveled with me on vacation. I popped it open one evening as I sat watching the sunset and enjoyed a glass of wine.

Here’s where I made the mistake. See the wine glass? See how it’s right next to the computer? Well, no drink at all should be ANYWHERE NEAR your keyboard. And here is why…

It didn’t matter that it was wine. It could have been iced tea or coffee or Mountain Dew. I reached for something, and it tipped over onto my cute, little netbook keyboard. I immediately grabbed a box of Kleenex and dabbed away, tipped my computer over and let the liquid drip out, then powered it down and thought about what a dumb mistake that was.

I thought all was fine the next day when I hit the power switch and it turned on… but the keyboard does not function, and the recommendation from the computer-geek-powers-that-be was that it would be better to replace it than try to repair it.

So learn from me… and keep ALL beverages far and away from your electronic devices!

So now that I’ve had to say goodbye to my netbook, here’s my dilemma. I’ve been itching to get an iPad. I don’t know if it’s just because I’m falling victim to the iPad craze or if it’s really a gadget that I have to have. I’d like to be able to write my blog on my it while traveling (assuming I don’t need to download photos from my camera).

So should I replace my netbook, or should I consider purchasing the iPad (3G or not??) with an external keyboard instead? If you’ve had experience with both, I’d love to hear your thoughts too!
Updated to add:  I ended up purchasing another Netbook.  Wow, they’re cheap now!  The guy who sold it to me said that since the tablets (iPad) are so much in demand, it has really brought the price of the Netbooks down.  Since I do quite a bit of typing and blogging while I’m traveling, I figured another Netbook was the way to go.  I got an Asus brand- something I had never heard of, but it came highly recommended.  The Netbook itself was only $199 at Best Buy.  I added a service plan & data transfer.  No more liquids next to the computer!

22 Responses to “Why You Should Never Drink… anything… While Working On Your Computer”

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — August 19, 2011 @ 6:32 AM

Oh no! I’m so sorry. I’ve done the same. Coffee. Luckily, my keyboard works, but my trackpad won’t click anymore which is a huge pain (but ok since I can just plug in a mouse… but kind of defeats the point of a laptop!)

I’ll be curious to hear what you decide re: an ipad. I really want one too, but I’m not sure how easy it would be to blog from.

backcountrybelle — August 19, 2011 @ 7:36 AM

So sorry for your “spilage,” I love having the ability to download pictures from my camera to my computer at any given moment, that’s why having the computer is so great for me. I have an IPhone rather than the IPad and love it! Maybe you should get both! :)

Kassie — August 19, 2011 @ 9:09 AM

Take a look at the Asus Transformer. It is a fantastic little tablet, but you can buy a keyboard (or buy them as a package) that it easily clicks down in to make it easier to use for big projects.

Danielle — August 19, 2011 @ 9:16 AM

Oh man!!

We have both an iPad and netbook (my fiance is an uber-nerd), and as soon as we got the iPad back when the second came out, I think the netbook has been used maybe once or twice. I personally prefer an actual keyboard for bigger projects, so I definitely think buying the external keyboard would be key. I say go for the iPad :)

Mark — August 19, 2011 @ 12:28 PM

I’ve had an iPad for almost 3 months now, and I really like it.

However, if you’re looking to do a lot of blogging using it, you might want to check this post (http://wpmu.org/wordpress-meet-ipad-creating-and-editing-content/) from WPMU. There is some good information on the pros and cons of wordpress on the iPad.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — August 19, 2011 @ 12:47 PM

I personally don’t see a lot of use for the iPad b/c I have both the big huge imac desktop AND a macbook. Truth be told, I wish I would have gotten a more powerful laptop, i.e. the macbook pro, b/c the macbook is so slow with blogging, photo uploading, etc. That’s one thing I would make sure of with the ipad if you get it…that it’s small but still has enough speed for what we do with all the images we upload and process.

And so sorry about the spill incident!

Damyon — August 19, 2011 @ 6:15 PM

I am an Apple man from my first unit back in ’94. Averie, when was the last time you did any unix maintenance on you MacBooK? Either get Onyx to do some maintenance or Macaroni that will automatically do scheduled maintenance in the background. If you don’t do regular maintenance, your unit will slow down.

Devona — August 19, 2011 @ 9:56 PM

Reading this story reminds me of my dad’s problem. My dad dropped his phone in a huge glass od fruit punch one day. He called one of friends, who is a computer engineer, and he said, “Don, Now, what I am about to tell you will void any warranty on your phone. However, this may fix your problem. Pour some rubbing alcohol all over your phone and let it completely dry for a day or two. Then see if it will work.” So, my dad did as he was told and dunk it into the same cup, however it was full of alcohol this time. He laid it to dry and the next day it worked. Our friend said the alcohol will mix with the drink and will evaporate. So, if you choose to get something else, you could experiment with the old netbook and maybe, just maybe it will work again.

Amanda N — August 20, 2011 @ 10:32 AM

I have a macbook and I love it….My mother who is computer illiterate has an iPad and it’s great for her. Would I buy an iPad for myself? NO. It is not meant for typing large amounts, however, you did mention the external keyboard, which in my opinion, you’re better off just going with a laptop. The iPad is not as awesome as everyone thinks and is really just made for web surfing/browsing, reading, etc. Not for use as an every day computer.

Jessica — August 20, 2011 @ 1:08 PM

I have a computer by dell, its like a netbook size, but it has a touchscreen and turns into a tablet. I love it because it’s a computer, that can turn into an ipad just by flipping the screen. I can get apps and music, but I can also run word on it and do all the functions of a computer. I love it :)

Rebecca Richmond — August 20, 2011 @ 6:40 PM

As another blogger, I would recommend replacing your netbook instead of using an iPad. I’ve used both, and the the iPad lacks one key feature that makes doing anything on my blog harder than on a netbook; a keyboard. The iPad is great for the apps and web surfing, but the keyboard is a touch screen and I’ve never been able to master fast typing on it. This, of course, is just my opinion. Others may find it easier than I did! Good luck.

Lori Lange — August 20, 2011 @ 8:29 PM

Thanks… that’s what I’m leaning towards!

Lori Lange — August 20, 2011 @ 8:32 PM

I love this idea. Will see if I can find this option!

Tracy — August 21, 2011 @ 2:03 PM

Aww, I’m sorry to hear about your netbook! I don’t have any experience with iPads, but did just want to let you know that I’m selling my 13″ macbook pro…I had extra RAM added since I used it to run Photoshop and such. No worries if you’re not interested…just wanted to throw that out there in case you are! :-)

Evan Thomas — August 22, 2011 @ 9:42 AM

I usually drink(and eat) while at the computer. This’ll have me thinking twice next time.

D Harley — August 22, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

I would suggest a MacBook air. It’s lightweight, quick, and and apple product. I have one and I love it. I also have an iPad with a case that is a keyboard. The keyboard case is a little difficult to type on…

Kimberly — August 22, 2011 @ 3:44 PM

I would definitely suggest another laptop instead of an iPad if you plan to do blogging and stuff from it. My husband and I each have laptops and we have a family iPad and the only time I use the iPad is when I’m laying in bed with my youngest daughter and she’s asleep and I want to play a game, check my facebook, or do some light internet surfing. If I plan to do any typing or anything major internet surfing, I use my laptop.

The Cilantropist — August 24, 2011 @ 7:11 AM

Oh man Lori, I can feel your pain – my wireless keyboard for my iMac at work has been victim of a coffee spill. Twice. Both times I took it immediately to the sink and flushed it out with clean water (to get out sugary liquids etc) and then let it dry for a few days before trying to use it. That is what the Apple tech guys recommended to let the circuits dry before trying to use it. so sad your netbook didnt making, buy yay for getting a new one! :)

This Farm family's Life — August 29, 2011 @ 6:52 AM

Holy cow! Great advice. I find myself relaxing with a beverage while using my laptop all.the.time!

Janelle — August 29, 2011 @ 7:12 AM

I would have recommended just replacing the keyboard. My daughter ripped a couple of keys right off my husband’s laptop, and he replaced the keyboard with one he bought for around $20 on Amazon. But only $200 for a Netbook sounds pretty good, too!

Lori Lange — August 29, 2011 @ 7:14 AM

I tried… they said that it was pretty expensive just to take a look at the inside (fee charged), then there was no guarantee that the motherboard was not damaged. I’m going to try it myself though, and if successful then I will have a 2nd one to set up for my son!

ML — August 29, 2011 @ 6:56 PM

I did that to my personal computer, red wine of course! Luckily it restarted and only the keyboard was screwed. I ordered a new one from Dell and had an IT guy install it for me. Works great now, except for the virus that is currently occupying it! Glad I have a backup computer!