How to Lose Weight… the Healthy Way

Yeah, I’m gonna talk about losing weight today. Stay with me if you’ve ever struggled with keeping those pounds off, and if you want to spill any magical secrets sharing how it should be done and how to keep it off forever.  And if you have a success story, by all means… share it with us in the comments.

This post shall also be titled, “How to Lose Weight When You Love Food So Much,” and “How to Lose Weight When You Write About Food Every Day,” and “How to Lose Weight and Still Enjoy a Foodie Life.” I’ve talked about my lifelong battle with excess poundage many… times…before. I’ve tried all of the diets. I’ve exercised extensively. I’ve been successful at times, and I’ve struggled even more times. I’m on that path to getting thinner and healthier again (starting yesterday). I think about that path every night when I go to bed, feeling like I’ve over-indulged during the day, and I think about that path every morning when I wake up and feel the pudge in my mid-section that most definitely should not be there. I think about that path when I find myself staring at favorite jeans in the closet that I can no longer get over my thighs, and I think about that path when I’m nibbling cookie dough and somehow can’t seem to stop.

The path begins here- exercise. It has always made me feel better, look better and help melt off unwanted flab. My exercise of choice has always been running. I’ve been struggling with Plantars Fasciitis for a few months now. If you’re not familiar, it’s a painful foot condition brought on by over-usage of the plantar fascia- the thick connective tissue which supports the arch on the bottom of the foot, running from your heel to your toes. Yes, it seems that I am being punished for exercising TOO MUCH. What the heck?! In any case, my Doc and physical therapist have limited me to biking (ick), swimming (bathing suit? No way!), and walking (I suppose I can manage that).

Yesterday I ventured out for the first time in a while. I told myself I’d walk for 45 minutes, and then I became obsessed with clocking exactly one hour. I walked briskly, listened to new songs on my iPod, and created recipes in my head. It’s good “ME” time. I intend to walk at least three days a week and then hit the gym for strength training a couple of days a week too. I’m pretty good at convincing myself that I’m “too busy to work out today.” I need to get my butt out the door before 9AM (preferably earlier) or exercise just isn’t going to happen.

I don’t have 100 pounds to lose. But I’m definitely in need of losing 30, or at the very least 20. That darn weight just creeps on and at some point I just give up and give in to food. It’s a battle that I hate to fight.

MyFitnessPal.com was recommended to me. I started using it yesterday, and I’m quite pleased with how it is set up. It’s a way of tracking your daily food intake and exercise, it calculates everything for you based on your weight and how much you are trying to lose, and IT’S FREE- if you can believe that! You can see my first day above. Because I’m constantly recipe testing and developing, I had to estimate calories for lunch (butternut squash soup) and dinner (two kinds of fish tacos). Otherwise, they have a huge database of foods that you just plug in and the calories and nutritional info. pops up. I burned 418 calories from my exercise- which it adds on to the calorie count for the day, allowing you to consume more calories if you wish and still be on track for losing a pound or so a week. There is an APP for MyFitnessPal too so you can use it when you’re out an about. I’m still learning how to use all of its great features.

For me, losing weight the healthy way is about eating what I want… in moderation.  If you squint at the small print in my day planner yesterday, you’ll see that I had an ounce of cookie dough.  That’s not something that I have every day, or even something that I “want” to have every day.  But my son made cookies for a school project, and I chose to use up 120 calories to have a taste of that dough.  Were the 120 calories worth it?  Yes, I believe they were.  Had I not counted that dough, I might have eaten three spoonfuls instead.  One was plenty, and it satisfied that sweet taste I was craving.

So, I guess I’ll be giving an update here once in a while if I discover a cool new exercise that I want to share, or if I pick up some unbelievably cute tennis shoes that everyone should have, or if I just want to shout to the world that I’m being successful at this go-round. Perhaps I’ll motivate someone else to get healthy too. Then this will all be worth it.

P.S. My food blog will remain just as it always has… a mix of desserts and dinners and holiday favorites and healthy recipes.

Need an inspiring success story? Read my food blogging, cookbook author friend Amanda’s story: Ready to Talk- My Story of Obesity

69 Responses to “How to Lose Weight… the Healthy Way”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — October 12, 2011 @ 3:31 AM

Best of luck on your path, Lori!

And I actually recognize that path where the 1st photo is taken. My friend lives right around the corner from there :)

And I have PF, too. I have had it most of my life, since junior high! I can go for months/year(s) without issue and then it will flare up. No real rhyme or reason but I understand the pain. Take care of your tootsies!

Amanda — October 12, 2011 @ 4:20 AM

Love this and love you, Lori! That is a total bummer about the PF! I love that we are all on this journey together! I’ve been inconsistent with my jogging lately but my excuse has been “it’s too hot” rather than i’m too busy… if i don’t get out the door for a jog by 8am it’s already over 85 degrees! And in the tropics that isn’t really gonna change seasonally. Either I need to look for another, possibly indoor, exercise or i need to cut the excuses and wake up early and get out the door! Keep on rocking it, my dear! XOXO!

Thresa — October 12, 2011 @ 5:49 AM

One of the things I really like about MyFitnessPal is that you can enter in your own recipes and get the calorie counts for them. See that little “Recipes” link at the top, under the food tab? Click that. Then you can enter the recipe ingredients and number of servings and save the recipe (it stays private if you want). Once it’s saved, you can include it in your daily food tally. Being a food blogger, I have to write down all the ingredients and amounts anyway, so I always have them to put in MyFitnessPal!

Bummer about the PF :( At least you can still enjoy your walks :) I’ve never been a runner, but I walk a couple of miles several times a week. It’s a great way to clear my head and get some fresh air!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — October 12, 2011 @ 5:50 AM

I’m dealing with the same issues right now Lori. I’ve lost 16 pounds and have fought for every draned one of them. I still have a way to go but I’m not backing down… not this time. I don’t host as successful a food blog as you do (not nearly) but I do have one that I like to post on as regularly as I possibly can. I’m finding it a tight rope walk to still be able to post recipes that will appeal to the masses (or more like the 10’s, LOL) to keep my blog relevant and not a energy suck with writing about diet this and diet that. The funny thing I’ve found out however is that while I’m still cooking and baking my ‘same old way’ (just not eating it) I enjoy the process of cooking and baking far more than the actual partaking of the eating part. Who would have thought? I like to give it away to any and all who walk through the door :) Anyway, good luck to you on your weight-loss journey Lori. You can do it!!!

Jessica — October 12, 2011 @ 6:18 AM

Thanks for sharing! I too struggle with an extra 20 – 25 pounds that just won’t go away. I felt the best I have in a long time when I trained for a tri in August. Sadly, I also pushed my body too much. I almost cried last night when my chiropractor looked at me and said, “and why are you running?” This of course came after being in there too many times since the tri to fix problems with my shoulders, my back and my hip. The hip is what is putting my running to a stop. Maybe someday I’ll run again. I’ll miss it. Until then, I’m doing yoga, strength training, walking and swimming. Don’t let a swimsuit keep you from swimming. It is my favorite alone time – me and the pool! Please keep us posted on how your journey goes! Jessica

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 12, 2011 @ 6:33 AM

Everything in moderation is the way to go. You’ve got my support :)

Kel — October 12, 2011 @ 6:46 AM

Best wishes on your journey. I wanted you to know that I have had plantar fascitis since middle school. It got so bad I could hardly walk 1 mile to my office. I finally found a podiatrist willing to work with me on it. I now have orthotics with a very high arch that literally are my life saver. I can hardly walk any distance out of the house without them. And it has enabled me to start running again. I also stretch, but the other PT stuff did not seem to help at all. Just my experience of one, but thought I would pass it on.

vanillasugarblog — October 12, 2011 @ 7:08 AM

oh good for you Lori!
    I have limited exercise too, happens as we age.
    I cannot run on my knee and have to resort to walking.
    Want to take up yoga for the stretching part; I always feel amazing after a really good stretch.
    Good luck on your journey, I think you can do it as you are a very strong woman!

Lisa @ Life in Green — October 12, 2011 @ 7:11 AM

Calorie counting tools are great. Everytime I start to gain a couple extra pounds I don’t want I then turn to an online calorie counter and track for a couple weeks until I feel back on track.

For exercise I only walk and do vinyasa yoga. Everything else always ended up being to painful…and I’ve found I way to build strength with an strong yoga practice.

Good luck to you!

Katie — October 12, 2011 @ 7:12 AM

Good luck with your weight loss journey! I’ve been through the ups and downs myself. I lost about 85 pounds over a few years by exercising very regularly, cutting out sugar, and always keeping a supply of cut veggies for easy snacks. I kept it off for a few years, but then my thyroid decided to stop functioning normally and I gained 30 pounds over a couple of years. I finally have that under control, and I’m in the process of losing that excess weight. I’ve been using My Fitness Pal, too, and it has helped a lot. I often have trouble with the all or nothing idea (I sometimes think that if I have a bite of something “bad” then I might as well give up), but MFP has kept me thinking more rationally. I’ve lost about 15 pounds so far, and I’m still motivated to keep going. Keep us updated on how you’re doing!

Crystal's Cozy Kitchen — October 12, 2011 @ 8:20 AM

I have lost a total of 18 lbs this year (I took a few months off the diet thing and am back trying again.) I hope to lose 20-25 more lbs. I use a variety of exercise video routines to spice things up and make sure I’m using most of my muscles every week, as well as keeping limber – it is not emphasized enough but flexibility helps keep away a lot of injuries!

Another great tool I’ve found is this recipe calculator: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp. It’s not the best ever, but it works.

Good luck with your weight loss journey if you need an online buddy, feel free to contact me! I also hope your plantar fascitis doesn’t inhibit it too much (My husband had to get custom insoles made to help his!)

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — October 12, 2011 @ 8:37 AM

My Fitness Pal is great–I was a big fan of its interface as well, and I think it definitely keeps us accountable in a way that doesn’t feel punishing. Best of luck to you; I’m sending you positive vibes!

Ginny — October 12, 2011 @ 9:00 AM

Thank you!, for posting about your journey… I am a food blog fanatic and often wonder how it is that the authors can cook so much delicious food, yet stay in shape. Your plan to allow yourself to eat what you want in moderation will be a great tool for your success. I lost fifty pounds over the course of a few years (starting with mycaloriecounter.com) and have kept it off for four years now. My lifestyle is to exercise and eat well during the week and take the weekend to eat whatever I want. A key to my success is staying away from all the treats around the office. What I do is, instead of looking at the one cookie, doughnut, piece of cake, as an individual item that won’t hurt to just have one, I look at all the items I pass up in a week as a whole. So each time I pass one up, it adds to my list of the calories and fat I didn’t eat.

I hope that helps you and your readers; sometimes it is good to look at food and treats in a new perspective. Good luck and I look forward to keeping up with you on your journey!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — October 12, 2011 @ 9:39 AM

Thanks for sharing this! I’d say that eating healthy and in moderation is definitely harder as a food blogger- If I wasn’t baking all the time, I’d have one less food item to think about in my kitchen. At the same time, though, I also love food and want to enjoy it as a regular part of my life. I’d love to hear more about how you balance that!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 11:15 AM

Really? Well then, you know where I live ;)

The PF is so frustrating. I didn’t have any problems the whole time that I trained for the LJ Half… it was after- when I wasn’t on a structured program that it came on. Guess I was running too much. Seems like there is no end in sight!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 11:16 AM

I don’t do well with running in heat either. And you’ve got major humidity to contend with in PR too, right?? That’s tough. I’m motivated again because of you and your post, my friend. Thank you :)

Samantha — October 12, 2011 @ 11:16 AM

I’ve discovered the joys (seriously!!) of Weight Watchers. My sister is the one who got me involved and I LOVE it. It’s the only way I can loose weight, still eat what I want, and not sit on my ass all day long. I can’t loose weight on my own, I simply don’t have the self control to say no to food–especially dessert. Yes, Weight Watchers cost money, but I am a firm believer that it does work and it is worth it completely. There are MANY blogs that give you so many delicious recipes to make that you simply can’t go wrong. Plus, the best thing about this is, that Weight Watchers encourages you to exercise. As in, every time you work out in some way, shape, or form, you get activitiy points. That means more food that you get to eat. I’m all down for that kind of motivation!! I’ve lost 23 pounds on Weight Watchers and yes, I have gained some of it back. But I’ve kept most of it off more than I’ve gained again. And it’s a real lifestyle change as well. I look at the way I eat completely differently now and I’m always trying to find the next better thing for you. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

The recipe ingredient input feature will be helpful, for sure.

Carolyn — October 12, 2011 @ 11:36 AM

Good for you! I can completely relate as I am no stranger to the constant struggle, the love-hate relationship with food.. the list goes on…

I too use myfitnesspal. I love it. And tracking recipes is a cinch!

Best of luck to you xo

Lauren — October 12, 2011 @ 11:51 AM

Weight has always been a problem for me. I have a condition that makes it twice as hard for me to lose weight than others…my body just likes the extra pudge, I suppose. But, after I had my daughter, I started running. I’ve never before been a runner but felt like I had to do something to get rid of the extra baby weight. So I started slow…couldn’t do 5 minutes on a treadmill, so I’d do intervals. Then I slowly just worked my way up. It took a while, but I ran my first half marathon 2 years ago when my daughter was 8 months old. Since then, running has really helped me keep my weight from fluctuating. I’ve run 3 more half marathons and over the summer I did a 180-mile relay. It’s hard to get motivation, but I tell myself I will do at least one active thing every day, no matter what it is. Sometimes it’s an 11 mile run, but other times its a 20 minute yoga dvd. At least I’m doing something. That’s the balance I’ve got going on in my life.
    Thanks for sharing, Lori! Good luck! Just keep at it and you will see results!

Liane — October 12, 2011 @ 12:02 PM

Thanks for sharing your journey. I could have written most of what your wrote today….”thinking about the path every night, every morning, etc”. I’ll definitely follow you on your journey, while I am on this go-round. And if you find a cute pair of tennis shoes, be sure to let us know!

Linda Hielscher from St Louie — October 12, 2011 @ 12:10 PM

It’s funny that you posted this blog today. I have been going to WW now since 4/2010. I have been very successful and took off 52 lbs so far, until the dreaded vacation this last June. The vaca was awesome but since I have found it very difficult to get back on track and now I am gradually going up in weight instead of down. :>/ I took one look at your Dulce de Leche Apple Bars and thought … these food blogs are killing me! Notice how I put the blame on food bloggers and not me? LOL But seriously those bars look great and we’ve got to come up with a lighter version of them. Thanks Lori for posting about something else besides food to knock me out of the apple bar fixation I was in a moment ago. :)

Jenn — October 12, 2011 @ 12:18 PM

Thanks for sharing. I often wonder how all you food bloggers manage being around all that food all the time. That’s got to be SO HARD!

My recommendation is to hire a trainer and do a TON of weight training. You will speed up your metabolism for sure and help with the weight loss. Running can be great cardio but as you know, is tough on the body and such high impact. I’ve lost more inches and stay in much better shape when I weight train (in addition to counting WW pts) Lift heavy and often – it’ll help immensely.

That’s my 2 cents. Good luck!!

Janet — October 12, 2011 @ 12:20 PM

I’m so glad you posted this! I’m at the end of my 8 week boot camp and am so glad that I chose to do it. Having the support of other moms, who pushed me to do things that I would’ve thought (if left to my own whimpers and whines) I was incapable of, was a blessing beyond words. The fact that you have chosen to make your struggle public has been an inspiration to me in m y own struggle- as a matter of fact, I think that is how we first met and bonded, lol. Keep the faith, my friend… hopefully soon we can go on a run together ;)

patsyk — October 12, 2011 @ 12:21 PM

I just discovered that site the other night! I started using it yesterday as well, and really love how it breaks down all the nutrients (at least it does on the Blackberry app for my phone). The food list is pretty extensive, too… I’ve been able to find nearly everything I have been eating the last 2 days. So far, this is the first tracking system that I might be able to stick with!

Good luck!!

Julie @BananasForBourbon — October 12, 2011 @ 4:28 PM

I love these stories because I am right there with you. People ask me how I “stay so skinny” when I’m so food obsessed. I answer, I lost over 70 lbs and in the processes BECAME food obsessed! Not being mindful of what I was eating and not being realistic about how bad the food I was eating was for me are what got me into that overweight mess. I lost the weight through diet and exercise. But it wasn’t a “diet”. I just started eating real food! I stopped eating out for every meal and learned to cook. I didn’t even mean to lose that much weight. I just loved my new lifestyle so much, I went with it! Know how I learned to cook? Food blogs. I still own almost no cookbooks. Food blogs saved me. They made something that was so scary (cooking food!) and make it approachable. Something I could do. Pictures to entice me, common pitfalls for people who don’t automatically know what “deglaze” means, and step by step directions. I made one thing. Then another. And another. Now I’m a regular gourmand with my own food blog. I’m a runner. I eat so much better than I ever did before, and I feel great doing it.

Laura @ Family Spice — October 12, 2011 @ 4:30 PM

This past year is the first time I have gained weight and I can’t blame being pregnant. Three kids have taken a toll on me physically. Blogging has made it worse. A year of stomach ailments brought me to my lowest point mentally. I have always been active (without running) but having a year off from regular exercise has ruined my physique and self-esteem. If you need a walking partner, give me a buzz!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 4:41 PM

Congrats, Renee- 16 pounds is a fabulous accomplishment. I’ve found that I enjoy the process of cooking too, even when I am just making things for the craft and not to eat. Chew lots of gum, that’s my secret!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 4:43 PM

I felt best right around Feb/March when I was training for my 1st 1/2 marathon. It’s amazing how great your body feels and how your self-esteem is boosted when you’re exercising regularly and seeing results. I think the running is messing with my body in all kinds of ways too. I guess I’ll need to try some other stuff.

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 4:44 PM

Thanks, Estela. Tonight I’m making a pasta dish that is not exactly low fat. I’ll be having a large salad… and then a very small portion of pasta. That way, I still get to eat the delicious stuff without taking in all of those calories!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 4:45 PM

Lots of people are recommending orthotics- I will definitely talk to my Doctor about it next time I visit!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — October 12, 2011 @ 4:46 PM

I’m rooting you on (and you’re inspiring me). You can totally do this. It’s all in your head. Believe that you can and you will. Wow…how’s that for a pep talk? If only I used those words on myself. :) Seriously, you can totally do this Lori. I have every bit of faith in you.

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 4:46 PM

Aging? Ick. I’m not enjoying it. I really need to try yoga. I always feel like the people that do yoga are so experienced and pretzel-like, and then I’m going to go in there and be all weird and stiff and weak. I’ve gotta get over that!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — October 12, 2011 @ 7:13 PM

After having lost 190 lbs, I have become a foodie more and eaten more delicious food now than I ever did at 400+ lbs. It’s all about balance and moderation for sure.

Kelly — October 12, 2011 @ 8:06 PM

Congrats to you writing this. I’d read Amanda’s post and saw your comment about wanting to do your own, so I’m glad you did. Weight. I blame finishing my degree post children, then teaching. Too much time on my rump. I continue to rationalize that at least we’re eating food that isn’t processed and live in a house devoid of sweets. Whatever. Middle age has taken hold of my midsection once a 24-inch wonder. My motivation is being able to walk with a friend, but mine’s crazy busy, so now I have to motivate myself. Ugh. Working on it…best to you, Lori.

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:11 PM

I’m finding that having to actually input what I’m eating and what I’m doing for exercise really, really helps me stay accountable… and it motivates me to want to do well. I don’t want to have to write anything bad down!!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:13 PM

omg, I hear you on the all or nothing thing. Usually my downfall on an eating healthy kick like this is that if I have just one bad thing during the day, I figure I’ve blown it and therefore blow the whole rest of the day too. Not very rational thinking, but for some reason I do… Not this time though!! Good luck with your journey too- sounds like you’re on the right track!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:15 PM

Thanks- I’ve used that spark people recipe calculator before, but myfitnesspal has one too. It’s actually a little better. I wish I liked all of the exercise videos I have. Good thing we have nice weather year round here in Southern California as there isn’t really an excuse for not getting out there and exercising. Good luck to you too!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:15 PM

Thanks! Accountability is definitely key!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:17 PM

That’s a great way to look at it for sure! When I was a teacher, I couldn’t even GO in the teacher’s room since there were always so many good/bad goodies in there! Congrats for being able to keep that weight off- that’s quite an accomplishment.

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:19 PM

Right now, I’m just trying to maintain a healthy balance of normal stuff. I made a pasta dish tonight that was not very diet friendly, but I figured out the calories and just made a large salad with the pasta dish as my side dish instead. It worked out great. I’m also counting tastes of things while baking as calories. Before, those were free (which was a big part of the problem!!)

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:23 PM

Hi Samantha, I’ve been very successful on WW before. I lost 25 pounds last year. I had a hard time with the program switch though. I was so used to the old one. It’s a great way to lose weight, that’s for sure.

MyFItnessPal.com works in the same way. When you exercise, it adds in the calories that you’ve burned so you can either use them or not. Congrats on your loss!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:24 PM

Thanks, Carolyn. Glad I’m not alone!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:25 PM

Lauren- that’s a great mindset to be in– trying to do at least one active thing every day. I’m going to adopt that! Thanks for the support :)

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:26 PM

I might go shopping this weekend. It’s more fun to work out in cute, new shoes, right? ;)

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:28 PM

Yeah, it’s unfortunate that the desserts are definitely the most popular recipes on the blogs. It forces us to… post more desserts, lol! Vacations always get me off track too. You probably already know this, but I have a Weight Watchers recipe category on my site. There are a few desserts in there too!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:29 PM

P.S. I have a pretty extensive Weight Watchers category of recipes on my site with both old points and new points figured out for most. I’m still editing some. http://www.recipegirl.com/category/recipes/weight-watchers/

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:30 PM

I have thought about hiring a trainer. I guess I should think about it *seriously* now! Thanks for the push :)

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:33 PM

I’m so proud of you for doing that. There was a time when I was doing that Biggest Loser competition that I did a weekly bootcamp, and I loved it. I really felt like it was such a great workout for the bod. The trainer left our gym though and I didn’t like the new people who took over the boot camp. And now I’m old and starting to fall apart, so boot camp probably isn’t a good idea right now anyways, lol! One of these days we are going to hang out and have a few glasses of wine together. Something tells me we’d get along very well indeed!!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:35 PM

Hi Patsy, I’ve been pleased with the database in there too- everything I have looked up has been easy to find so far. Don’t you love that you don’t want to mess up because you’re recording every single thing? It also makes me want to go do jumping jacks for 5 minutes or something so I can add those to my exercise log. It’s great, and I love that it’s free too!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:49 PM

I love that you learned to cook through food blogs- that’s awesome! 70 pounds is a great accomplishment! I think I know more about food than almost everyone I know. You’d think that sort of knowledge would be helpful in being able to manage it all and balance, but it’s just hard. I know better, but sometimes… a lot of times, I overindulge anyways. Maybe one of these days something will click.

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:51 PM

Okay, SERIOUSLY, I would love to have a walking partner. Usually it’s just me and my iPod. Having a friend to walk with makes it go by much faster. Check out MyFitnessPal.com. I’m loving it. We can set up a day to walk from school and through the Luz if you’d like- I walk 5 days a week. Let me know & I’ll meet you!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:53 PM

It’s all in my head, right? That’s exactly right. There are some people who read a post like this and say to themselves, “Why doesn’t that girl just say no to food?” Those are the people who don’t understand… who have never faced weight problems… who don’t have evil voices in their head telling them that cookie dough is awesome and that you shouldn’t resist eating it. yeah, that’s what’s in my head, lol! Thanks, Heather!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:55 PM

I know what you mean… people think you have to eat crud if you’re watching what you eat, and that’s not true at all. Healthy food and meals can be fabulous! Congrats on your big loss. That’s really amazing!

Lori Lange — October 12, 2011 @ 8:57 PM

I’d love to walk with you. Maybe we can meet up sometime. It’s definitely been tougher to lose weight since I turned 40. I did pretty well while training for the LJ Half last year, but that’s probably bc I was running a lot more than I ever had. Loved the way I felt though. I want that feeling back! I’m motivated!

Mary — October 13, 2011 @ 5:21 AM

Oh Lori! I was so saddened to read of your weight struggles. You are a beautiful woman and from your pictures and videos, I think you look great.

A few things that I might recommend are checking out Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon as well as the corresponding website westonaprice.org

Eating real food prepared in traditonal ways will dramatically change your body. Plus you will feel better and lose your cravings.

Also, regarding exercise…yes, do not over exercise. You don’t want to hurt yourself. For great ideas about the way our bodies were meant to move/exercise check out Mark Sisson and his blog The Daily Apple. Not sure of the exact web address but if you do a search, you’ll find it on the web.

Finally, I can’t say enough wonderful things about Dr. Catherine Shanahan, MD. Dr. Cate as she is commonly known. She has a medical practice in New England but is in the process of relocating to California. She is the author of an amazing book titled Deep Nutrition. She also has another book out but the title escapes me at the moment.

Also, in about 6 months she is coming out with her third book titled The TRIM Program based on the program she uses with her patients to help them lose weight. She is wonderful. She truly understands what good nutrition is to feed our bodies and our minds…and put us on a path to permanent weight loss as well as good health. She discuss The Four Pillars of good health which is the key to permanent weigh loss.

I believe her website is drcate.com but if you search for her on the web, you’ll find her.

I spent the better part of my life dieting – wrongly. I was able stay thin but at all costs. At 40 I became pregnant and the weight piled on. It was impossible to lose following my old ways of dieting. Then I discovered Sally Fallon, Weston A Price, Mark Sisson, and Dr. Shanahan. They have helped to get me on the right path to weight loss and healing. I highly recommend looking into all of them…Sally and Dr. Cate for nutritional advice and Mark Sisson for exercise advice.

Best of luck to you!

Love,

Mary

Carlette — October 13, 2011 @ 5:42 AM

I am on the same journey at the moment!! and Its great to be able to speak to someone who is in the same being-a-foodie-but-trying-to-manage-their-weight boat!! I also recently started exercing but have certainly not been going enough times in a week to see results! I do feel different though!

In relation to food, that has been challenging but I have managed to experiment with lower calorie meals!

that’s a post I did recently listing the meals I’ve had! Try them out, theyre really easy and really tasty!!! Good Luck!

mel — October 13, 2011 @ 2:14 PM

Thank you for your motivation! It’s truly just what I needed and gives me a big boost toward making it actually happen! And thanks for sharing AManda’s story too. That’s truly an inspiration!

danielle — October 13, 2011 @ 2:42 PM

Im struggling right now too. I had surgery a few months back and couldn’t do any form of excercise. Now I am having a hard time dropping the few pounds I put on. Tracking is the best way – if I have to write it down I think twice about eating it. I use The Daily Plate (http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/users/weight/) it’s a good one too.

Fran — October 13, 2011 @ 4:04 PM

Good for you, Lori! I know the struggles and although this weight loss has been slow for me, I have not felt as though it’s been a struggle — at all. I don’t have a date I’m aiming toward. I don’t have a size I’m shooting for. I just want to feel and look better. I started feeling better within the first couple of weeks and looking better??? Well, I am not thin beauty — still have 30 lbs. to go, but my clothes are fitting better or are too big and that is all I need to know I am successful.

Add the fact that I don’t sacrifice any food — other than portion size — and it’s a recipe for success! Can’t wait to hear about yours.

em — October 17, 2011 @ 2:52 AM

i have been on the impossible to lose no matter what you do road before ! i run half marathons, eat healthy with rare splurges, and i am on my feet all day at work. so when i started rapidly gaining weight and couldn’t reverse that i went to the doctor and found out i was insulin resistant. now i am on a low carb diet and i run a hour almost every day. wow what a difference ! i really feel a low carb diet is the key.

Jody — October 17, 2011 @ 12:05 PM

Those shoes look familiar. I started my diet/healty eating/exercise adventure March 1 of this year. Eating better and exercising has helped me lose 25 pounds so far. The only thing that works for me is writing down everything I eat and counting calories. I’ve tried almost everything else. My incentive was to lose 50 by Feb. 2012 when I will be 50. Half way to my goal. You can read about it on my blog under Thin Is In? at http://www.jodylynne.com
    Have fun!

Jen Kuhel — October 19, 2011 @ 10:41 AM

Hi Lori:

My friend/running buddy passed along your recipe for the cookie dough brownies a few weeks back and now I find myself checking your blog regularly. (Fortunately, I’ve only made the brownies twice…although I could easily make them weekly…or biweekly…OK, daily.) At any rate, just read your post about PF — I’m a runner and had it badly 18 months ago. In fact, my doc put me in a boot, so my only options were to a) swim or b) get fat. I opted for the former. Please know that I hate hate hate hate swimming, but I did it every day for the four weeks I was in the boot. As much as it sucked, I was glad I did it because I healed completely (after the four weeks in the boot, I had to do a run/walk program for the better part of two months) and I haven’t had any other problems (knock on wood). So, maybe try the pool — I know it stinks, but hey, it’ll give you something to write about. Also, maybe try deep water running in the pool? I did that when I injured my Achilles and was able to get back to running once I was healed and didn’t lose any fitness. Just my two-cents. All the best for happy running and happier eating.

Lori Lange — October 19, 2011 @ 11:04 AM

Thanks for the tips! I’ve been walking a lot… up steep hills and vigorous pace. I’m actually feeling pretty good. Still not into swimming though!!!

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — October 20, 2011 @ 1:58 PM

Great post, Lori! My boyfriend started using MyFitnessPal the last weekend of July and by mid-September he had lost about 25 lbs. It’s great because we also subscribe to the notion of everything in moderation. Also, there is an “add a recipe” tab somewhere on there – you can actually plug in a recipe by ingredient/quantity and how many servings, and it will break it down for you. I’ve done that for him with some of my recipes. Disclaimer: sometimes the result is downright scary ;-)

Amy — October 23, 2011 @ 7:02 AM

Lori, I love this post. I read your blog almost everyday, I am quite a foodie myself and absolutely adore your recipes. My husband and I joke that we must have the same palette because we LOVE every recipe! I manage to enjoy food and keep the lbs off with 2 big secrets. Moderation and exercise. I am a busy mother with 2 small children and that 1 hour a day I spend exercising is my lifesaver. I have also found that strength training is much more successful for keeping my body lean. I also enjoy dessert every night, yep every night. I am not a stick, but I am a happy and healthy 145 lbs. No diet, just a love for exercise and good food. You can do it! And remember, it’s a SLOW process to lose it the right way. Maybe just a few lbs a month, that adds up to over 20 lbs for the year!

Ashley — October 30, 2011 @ 4:19 PM

I love baking (and eating what I bake!) and luckily I enjoy working out too. If I eat a lot of extra sweets on a baking day, I try to exercise more and keep the rest of my food that day really healthy. Otherwise, I try (keyword is TRY haha) to just snack on fruits and veggies or nuts if I feel like snacking or am hungry between meals. I also always start my day with oatmeal, and try to work out almost everyday. I usually have to work out early in the morning or my motivation might be lost (unless I have eaten A LOT). Good luck with losing weight!!

Kristen Duke Photography — November 21, 2011 @ 6:57 AM

I’ve started counting calories for the first time in my life. I’ve always thought it so annoying, but I really do like the freedome it gives me to allow for those cookie dough samples and little snacks when I know I’ve exercised enough to account for it. I am needing some new family meal recipes, so excited to find more here!

Jacklyn — March 19, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Hello and thank you for your valuable info. I am 40 and I know how hard it is to stay motivated to eat well and exercise regularly.
    On top of that my back pain and fasciatis have made things even more difficult…I took me a lot of determination to focus on my goals no matter what!!