Getting Skinny and Staying There

So you’ve had your fun with food this year… and the scale is tipping the wrong way… and you’re not fitting into your favorite jeans… and you’re just plain miserable.  Is that you?  Yeah, that’s pretty much most of the world at the beginning of a new year, right?  How will you make this year different and really stick to your guns about getting skinny and staying there?  Let’s be realistic:  by “skinny” I mean whatever weight makes you feel good about yourself (not actually skinny skinny model skinny).  My feeling is… if you’re feeling skinny and healthy- then you’re skinny in my book.

I’m a big believer in making a list of  reasons why you feel like you need to lose weight.  Here are a few that apply to me.  Perhaps some of these apply to you too.

1.  You feel fat.  There is nothing worse.  On the flip side, feeling skinny is just about the best feeling in the world.

2.  Getting healthy, and all of that mumbo jumbo.  A doctor who operated on me once told me that it’s a whole lot easier to operate on someone when they don’t have to cut through a thick layer of fat to get to where they need to operate.  That grossed me out.  I was glad I didn’t have a thick layer of fat for him to navigate!  Eating lots of fruits and vegetables, having a balanced diet, limiting “treat” time, and exercising regularly are all part of the journey to getting skinny.  It’s stuff we should be aware of on a daily basis, but many of us ignore it and have another cookie.  I’ve always found that Weight Watchers is a healthy program to follow (it at least teaches you how to manage a healthy diet and limit your intake) and I’m pretty hooked on My Fitness Pal (find me & friend me!) for keeping track of food and exercise.

3.  All of your friends are skinnier than you are.  This one kills me.  Have you ever been with a group of friends and realized that you’re the fattest one of the bunch?  Not a great feeling.

4.  Skinny jeans don’t look good on you unless you’re skinny and long shirts don’t hide the fact that you’re overweight.  No matter how long your shirt is that is covering your butt, the skinny-pants thing just isn’t for those who are overweight.  And long shirts in general aren’t hiding anything.  Fact:  I once hung a pair of my favorite (skinny-er) jeans in my kitchen to serve as a reminder that I wanted to lose weight.  Guess what?  It helped!  And eventually I was able to fit into those jeans again!

5.  You don’t have any energy to play with your children.  Too tired to throw the ball around or take your kids to the park?  If it’s because you’re working and you’re too exhausted then you have a good excuse.  If it’s because you are so full of sugar and fast food that your lethargy is preventing you from doing pretty much anything… then that’s just sad.

6.  Cooking at home is much better than fast food anyways.  You simply cannot manage to lose weight if you eat out all of the time.  Cooking healthy can be simple (i.e. a piece of grilled chicken, some vegetables, a potato… or a large salad with loads of great things mixed in).  Shop, chop and plan on the weekends and that will mean that your week of eating healthy will be that much easier.

7.  You are nicer to people when you feel skinny.  Let’s face it.  Feeling fat makes us grouchy.  Get skinny, your confidence and mood follows, and you’ll be more (cheerfully) social.

8.  It’s much more fun to go shopping.  As you watch the pounds drop, you get to watch the pant’s sizes drop too.  There is nothing better than getting to the point of trying on clothes that are smaller than the size you’ve been filling up for quite some time.  And dig out your skinny clothes from the back of your closet too.  Yippee!

9.  Surely you have some sort of event or vacation coming up.  This year I have two weddings, a long vacation and a family reunion!  I’d say those are all good motivators to get my body where I’d like it to be.

10.  It’s just time to TAKE ACTION.  You’ve complained to yourself and your spouse and your social networking friends for far too long about how you need to get on board with diet and exercise.  Just do it.

Personally, I’m participating in a “Biggest Loser” competition at my gym- which begins in two days.  It’s 7 weeks long, and I figure it will give me a good jump start into eating healthy and exercising.  After that I plan to follow a 1/2 marathon training program to run my 2nd half in June.  My number one reason for wanting to get skinny this year and stay there is because IT JUST MAKES ME HAPPY! :)

Exercise links that may be helpful for you:
Couch to 5K Program (if you’re not an exerciser AT ALL, this is a terrific way to get started)
Train for your first 5K!  Here’s a training program (for people who are already running) to get you started!
100 exercise songs for your iPod
And here are a few more exercise songs for your iPod

Healthy food links that may be helpful to you:
RecipeGirl Weight Watchers Recipes (nutritional info & WW Points included)
Skinny Taste blog (nutritional info & WW Points included)
Eat Yourself Skinny (nutritional info & WW Points included)
Skinny Kitchen (nutritional info & WW Points included)
Kalyn’s Kitchen (South Beach Diet recipes)

So how about it?  What’s your plan for getting healthy in 2012?

39 Responses to “Getting Skinny and Staying There”

Cookbook Queen — January 5, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

So so SO true. I lost about 25 lbs last year and before that, I was MISERABLE. My clothes were uncomfortable, I was uncomfortable and I stressed out over finding stuff that fit or didn’t make me look bigger. It can be hard to lose (and harder to KEEP it off) but very worth it.

Great tips, Lori!!

vballer — January 5, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

these are def good reasons!
    they’re pretty much the same as mine, except for playing with children part..
    i work out because i like to. it’s enjoyable and to be honest, i like the feeling you get after a good run! (it’s also my escape from college classes haha).
    plus, losing weight gives me a lil wiggle room to try new dessert recipes and not feel guilty about it later =]

Marie — January 5, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

The Rock-n-Roll half? That’s my 2012 goal… hopefully I’ll see you there! Having struggled with my weight for ages and having it yo-yo, my big issue is exercise. I’ve always loved being involved in sports, but it’s so hard to self-motivate (I was always at my peak when I was running on fear of a mad coach). Having a goal like this help, so we’ll see how it goes.

Lori Lange — January 5, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

YES! I’d love to run the Rock n’ Roll half. That’s my goal too. I just have to see how my foot injury fares through all of the pounding!

Lori Lange — January 5, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I absolutely LOVE the feeling I have after a good workout. The bad part- it also makes me hungry. I’ve got to learn to manage eating healthy things after a workout that will fill me up!

Lori Lange — January 5, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

You look awesome!! I’ll get there again. Just you watch.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 5, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

I am SO much nicer to people when I feel skinny… and I agree with all of your motivators!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — January 5, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Congrats on all the changes you plan to make, Lori. I think it’s great you’re committing to your health and fitness and can’t wait to hear about your running, your progress, and how things are going.

When I see moms who are too out of shape or overweight and can’t play with their kids (your #5)…that is the saddest of all. The kids are being punished by the parents’ food choices…not good.

Great post!

Kelly — January 5, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I absolutely love this post, everything you said is SO true! Thanks again for sharing my blog as well, I absolutely adore your site! Checking out those others “skinny” blogs now too! xoxo

Kristy H — January 5, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Lori, I joined the P.I.N.K. Method over a month ago and got a huge jump-start on my weight-loss journey. It’s a wonderful, common-sense LIFELONG program! It’s easily affordable, which is an added bonus. I love that Cynthia (the creator of the program) not only TELLS women to eat healthy and exercise, but she walks us through every step of the program. Complete menus, exercises programs, steps to take to get of each plateau (and the program is built to minimize plateaus!), and she even tells us how to maintain when we reach our goals. It’s a 9-week program and totally do-able. I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

Lori Lange — January 5, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

Awesome! I will have to check that out. I can’t do any sort of set “menu” program since I blog and write about food all day long (and am writing a cookbook where I have to sample things constantly!).

Lori Lange — January 5, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

You’re welcome! Your blog has some pretty beautiful skinny food!

Meg @ Sweet Twist — January 5, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

This is some great motivation!! Thanks!!

nancy@skinnykitchen.com — January 5, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

Hi Lori,
    Thanks so much for linking my site. That’s so nice of you. I love your site too and will add your link to mine.
    Wishing you all the very best in 2012.
    Nancy

Kristy H — January 5, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

Lori, I absolutely understand what you’re saying! Just to clarify, however, you don’t have to follow her exact menus, those are just ideas. We’re encouraged to follow her “blueprint” (so much protein/meal, carbs/meal,….), which is totally sensible and healthy. I don’t even consider this to be a diet, because I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. It truly is the way I’ll be happily eating for the rest of my life! I’m not trying to persuade you or anybody else to follow her program, but since it’s brand new, I wanted to share MY excitement about it.

Lori Lange — January 5, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

Always love learning about new programs, so thank you for sharing your experience!

Bev Weidner — January 5, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

AAAAMEN!

Cassie — January 5, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

This is a great post, Lori! I am not a naturally skinny person. I make a decision every day (and multiple times per day) to be healthy, make choices that will benefit my body and mind, and own up to my decisions. Sometimes I feel like sleeping in rather than going to the gym, but I know that the next day is a new one, and I have the opportunity to do it over again. Thanks for the inspiration!

lauren — January 5, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

In 2011 from july 1 to today I lost 52 lbs and want to lose 15 more – my goal for 2012 is to STAY skinny! I love this post and links – thank u!

kayla @ Sheriff of the kitchen — January 5, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

I feel so much better when I move my body even if it means taking the dog for a walk around the block. My goal in 2012 is to worry less about what the scale says and pay attention to that feeling you were mentioning the happy and energized one. As long as I feel good in my clothes and they fit well I’m staying away from the scale. Good luck with your endeavors! I’m looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I might run the Rock N Roll Full I heard its a fun flat course.

FramedCooks — January 5, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

Great post! I’ve been following Mark Bittman’s Simple Until Six program for about a year now (I think that’s what it’s called)…basically you eat a vegan diet from when you get up in the morning until 6pm. Then you can choose from whatever food categories you want, just in moderation. I’m eating tons of fruits and veggies and whole grains during the day, since that’s what vegan basically is, but still getting some meat and cheese, etc in the evenings. It’s great…I’ve lost about 15 pounds since last February and I feel so much better! Happy New Year, all.

Kalyn — January 6, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

I am there for sure this year, and it’s going well so far! Thanks for the shout-out for my South Beach Diet recipes.

Stefanie — January 6, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

Eating healthy makes me feel so much better about myself. I’ve been eating lunch out just once a week for a treat. I’m down 22lbs just by changing my eating habits no exercise. I’m starting some form of exercise program soon. Great post. Thanks for the links.

Deborah — January 6, 2012 @ 7:34 AM

I love how so many bloggers are focusing on healthy eating and maintaining balance. I’ve managed be 8 pounds below what I was when I got preganant with my first child – and blog at the same time, so it’s do-able! That being said, I still want to lose another 10-15, but I’m on my way there!! Good luck with your Biggest Loser competition – I’m sure you’ll do great!

Lori Lange — January 6, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

I’m not naturally skinny either. Never will be. Dad gave me large Swedish bones (darn Dad!) I feel so much better when I’m exercising regularly, so I look forward to getting that going again.

Lori Lange — January 6, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

That is SO AWESOME!!! Congrats. That’s very inspiring :)

Lori Lange — January 6, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

Feeling good in the clothes I’m wearing is KEY> if I’m feeling good then I exude confidence. I love that. I don’t think my body could ever take running a full marathon. I’m happy w/ the half! Good luck though!!

Lori Lange — January 6, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

So… you’re “sort-of” Vegan, lol! That’s great that you’ve been dropping it slowly. That’s when it really stays off for good!

Lori Lange — January 6, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

You’re welcome! You keep us all on track daily w/ your healthy and delicious creations!

Lori Lange — January 6, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

That’s terrific. Just imagine what will happen to your body when you add exercise into the mix too!

Lori Lange — January 6, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Kudos! This is the year that I’m going to get where I want to be (and keep it off). The hardest part for me is vacations and trips… I always seem to wander off track when that happens.

Jill — January 6, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

I yo-yo dieted for years. We’ve all heard “You have to change the way you eat and think about food.” My response was always “Duh!” But what I didn’t get was that the change had to be PERMANENT. I would loose the weight in a hurry so that I could go back to eating “like a normal person”. Now I finally understand that I have to make permanent changes to my diet. Last year during my annual physical my doctor put me on blood pressure and cholesterol medication. It was a nasty surprise. At 5′ 9″ and 170 lbs. I was officially overweight, not just heavier than I would like to be. I was trying to decide if I was OK with being a size 14 instead of a 12 for the rest of my life when I got a second nasty surprise. My husband has retired and we will be paying for our own health insurance in about 9 months. I am considered high-risk because of my weight and the meds that I take. I was shocked because I have exercised 4-7 times a week for the last 15 years. I had never considered myself unhealthy before. Now that the holidays are over, I am preparing to make permanent changes to my diet. My first goal is to take off at least 12 pounds and keep it off for a year. The second goal is to get off the BP and cholesterol meds if diet and exercise can make that happen. My biggest hurdle is carbohydrates. I am every bit as addicted to sugar as an alcoholic is addicted to drink. The other foods I love — bread, pasta, rice, fruit — become derailleurs that send me on a sugar spree. Before the holidays I started using some of the information I learned from “The Metabolism Miracle” and found that limiting the number of carbs per meal helped with cravings. I would love to hear from anyone out there who has struggled with carb cravings and what has worked for them.

Lori Lange — January 6, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

My heart aches for you… I feel so much of what you’re feeling! All I can say is… we can do this!

Joyce — January 6, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

Love this Lori!! I didn’t know you had run a half-marathon! I ran my first one this past November – loved it! Thing is – even though I dread it at times (ok, a lot), I NEVER regret working out! I always feel better after I do it. And, that’s the beauty of discipline – there is nothing to regret!

Mimi — January 9, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

I LOVED reading this! Getting to your goal weight and staying there is EXACTLY what I teach. You can read more about my philosophies (www.mimisfitfoods.com), but I’m just impressed with the way you wrote everything down and how real it all is! I have a little healthy recipe blog if you’re in need of more healthy recipes . . . the nutritional information is on all of them too. Good luck this year & I hope you blog about your half marathon! I would LOVE to hear about it. xoxo

kellypea — January 9, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

LOVE this list and totally agree with the grouchy part. Oh, my. I started officially last Tuesday by writing down what I eat every day and have actually kept up with it. Also downloaded an app to track progress (I think it’s Fitness Pal like you’ve mentioned, so I’ll find you). Now, to figure out how to keep myself accountable on the ol’ bloggy…Good luck to you on this, Lori!

Donna — January 23, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

@Jill:
    I had the same situation w/sugar & some other “trigger” foods.
    I dive into ice cream (my literal achelies heel) & wouldn’t come up for air for a long time…just couldn’t stop eating it. Then the next day I’d crave more & more each day ending up gaining 30 lbs.
    I went through the 12-step program: realizing I’m powerless over these foods & only a power greater than myself could bring me to sanity.
    There is a program called Over eaters Anonymous, but it isn’t very well structured. AA is the Grandaddy of them all. They claim to be “all-inclusive” but they’re only “all-inclusive” re:their “higher power” but you HAVE to be an alcoholic unless you happen to find a rare open meeting that is “all-inclusive”
    I discovered a program @ church called Celebrate Recovery. It includes ALL hurts, hang ups, destructive behavior, addictions, co-dependency etc.
    By going through the steps, I dealt with all the resentments & bitterness of my past that were causing me to feel bad & not wanting to “feel” those emotions thereby anesthetizing myself w/food, people pleasing, fear of man etc.
    As a result of the steps & applying them to every area of my life, I’ve gotten back down to a size 5 & maintained it for 4 yrs.
    I do have to exercise also. What I do to “psyche” myself up to exercise is: “well, I’ll just start exercising & if I still feel to tired, I can always quit”. 99% of the time I begin to feel better & go ahead w/my workout.
    On the times I still feel tired, I give myself a break & quit or shorten & lighten my workout. I guess that 1% I really am exhausted & it’s ok.
    Thanx for letting me share.
    Donna

Donna — January 23, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

btw: I was wearing a size 14 before I started the steps. It took about a year to get down to a 5.
    The 12th step says as a result of the steps we’re to carry the message to others who are dealing w/these issues. That’s why I shared my story.
    It works if you work it so work it cuz your worth it! That’s what we say after every meeting.

Teresa Asay — July 20, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

I am a myfitnespal believer! I have lost 75# since Sept 1, 2012…maintaining for a month now. Thanks for the encouragement with the above Getting skinny this year. I am 54 years old and have never been at this weight nor have I ever felt so good in my entire life.