TV Gossip: The Walking Dead

If you’re not a fan of The Walking Dead on AMC, you’ll be a bit lost in reading this post.  But if you ARE, then you must stick around because I have a lot of thoughts about this season and some BURNING QUESTIONS too!  All photos in this post are from AMC.

I love the show.  I sort of got sucked into it when my mother was visiting last year and was keeping up on the episodes.  I became so intrigued with it that I went back and watched from season 1 to catch-up.  I made my husband watch it with me, and now we look forward to seeing what’s going to happen next each week!

If you aren’t a fan of the show… and you’re thinking, “What?  A show about zombies that are chasing after people trying to eat them?  That’s crazy!”  Yes, you’re right… it’s crazy.  And it’s really gross sometimes.  But if you watch it from the beginning, you get absorbed in the story.  You get kind of used to the gory stuff after a while.

First of all, the zombies.

Do they ever die??  If a zombie can’t get anything to eat… and there are so many of them that it seems like that’s a likely possibility, then do they die off?  And how exactly do they digest the food?  Do they get full?  Do they poop?  And how is it that zombies can seemingly run just as fast as the humans?  Are their brains still working well enough that they can open doors, etc?  Seems to me that if there is a simple wood fence surrounding an area that a zombie would not be able to “climb” the fence… that they’d just sort of crash into it and not know what to do. But on the show, wire fences seem like the only safe option.  Hmmmm.  And how is it that they scratch people and bite so ferociously?  Do their fingernails somehow become lethal weapons and their teeth become vampire-like as a zombie.   I mean, c’mon… these are real questions here!

These poor people just can’t find a safe haven from the zombies.  I find myself thinking… Why can’t they just find a nice, gated community… one with a simple chain-link fence surrounding it and a gym with tennis courts, etc. and happily live there?  Or why aren’t they thinking about traveling toward the ocean to hop a boat to the Bahamas or something?  Surely zombies haven’t taken over the entire world, right?  And where is Home Depot in all of this?  They should be clearing out Home Depot with all kinds of building supplies and fencing to create a safe place to live!  How are they cleaning themselves up after getting covered in zombie guts and blood.  Are there functioning showers we don’t know about at the prison?  And why isn’t anyone going shopping?  Seems like Nordstrom would be a fun place to hang out in this Zombie Apocalypse and free clothes too!!

Here’s the other thing:  they’re at a PRISON where they found zombies wearing gear like this.  Um, duh.  Shouldn’t they ALL be wearing gear like this to protect themselves from random zombie attacks? And how did these guys get bitten if they’re all covered up like this?  Who’s running this place anyway?

Oh yeah, Rick is running this place. Poor guy- he’s been through a lot.  He seems like a good dude, though he’s probably gonna be pretty bummed about being so cold to Laurie since she didn’t survive childbirth in Zombieland. Speaking of the BABY… I was totally tense during that birth scene because I felt CERTAIN that the baby was going to be some kind of freaky little zombie thing.  It was a shocker to lose Laurie, and it was an even bigger shocker that the kid had to shoot her.  Poor Carl… he’s a Man now.  And that baby… for sure will be raised by Glenn and Maggie, don’t you think?  They better quit all of that fooling around or Maggie is going to find herself knocked up too!

I like Daryl a lot… though he worries me by riding on that out-in-the-open motorcycle.  I fear that he and Carol are both cast members that might be in danger of being eaten by a zombie this season.

Michonne is bad ass.  I loved her zombie pets (brilliant idea, by the way).  I don’t think she’ll be getting eaten by a zombie any time soon.  I do wonder what’s going to happen with regard to her being in that new community.  She’s clearly not happy with that setup and doesn’t trust “The Governor” (for good reason!)

And then there are these two.  Andrea seems to be sizing up her next love-partner.  I’m guessing it will either be The Governor or Merle.  My money is on The Governor.  She’s getting sucked into the idea of living in that “happy community.”  I do predict that she’ll leave with Merle and Michonne to try and find the other group.  I’m not certain how The Governor factors into all of that, but surely there will be drama!

So what’s the deal with THIS GUY???   Seriously… what could possibly be his reason for keeping heads in fish tanks?  He’s clearly whacked.  I want to learn more about him.

Until next time… Will they make a run to a zombie-infested KMart to pick up formula to feed that baby?  Will Carol resurface after disappearing in the last episode? Will Michonne, Andrea and Merle make a run for it to search for the others? And who is Rick going to hook up with now that Laurie is gone?  Will the two communities merge and become one big happy family?  NO WAY!

I can’t stand it. The suspense is killing me!

27 Responses to “TV Gossip: The Walking Dead”

Renee@Mykitchenadventures — November 9, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

the real question is who is cutting all the grass??? Not one overgrown field to be found. I really enjoyed reading your post! lol

RecipeGirl's Mom — November 9, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Love your post about this gross but fun show. It’s always scary because you never know who the writers are going to do-in next. Laurie’s death was a real shocker . I was actually crying at the end especiall;y when Rick broke down. MOM

Lori Lange — November 9, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

That’s a very good question!! Oh, and I forgot to ask why aren’t there zombie animals running around??? I guess those would be too tough to animate, but still…

Lori Lange — November 9, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

yeah, that was sad.

Kim Rendino — November 9, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

The graphic comics are even better, if that’s possible!! I’m not a graphic comic kind of gal, but I was totally absorbed!!!!!

Tahillia — November 9, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Ok, the nerd in me wants to answer your questions. The zombies kind of learn they can do stuff when they’re desperate for food. Remember in season one when they were in downtown Atlanta? They started trying to climb the ladder after looking at it long enough and being tempted. They’re all instincts, but like any animal they’ll figure out things over time. I think the chain link fence at the prison is ideal because of the razor wire at the top. Even if/when they do figure out how to climb it, they can’t get through the razor wire in tact. The zombies in body armor likely weren’t bitten, but anyone who dies turns into a zombie. They could have gotten trapped and starves to death, for all we know. Since everyone is infected, everyone turns once they die. And the scientist in Woodbury commented on Michonne’s pets. He said they were, in fact, starving to… a final death. Just much more slowly than humans. And michonne actually mentioned getting onto an island but I guess realistically you can’t hide from something that’s inside of you. And even if they do find a safe haven, then they have to worry about supplies. You can’t hunt inside a Home Depot fortress and it takes time and transportation to get supplies or start growing your own food.

Having said ALL of that (sorry, I know you’re just making offhand remarks and having fun, not writing a thesis on The Walking Dead, but I am a walking nerd so I couldn’t help myself)… That last ep was nuts, wasn’t it?! I didn’t like Lori so I was never too worried about being upset when she met her inevitable demise, but they made it SO sad. Rick broke my heart.

Lori Lange — November 9, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

Yeah, I guess they have to worry about zombies even when they are in a safe place because if someone dies for some reason then someone’s gonna get eaten! Might be a little nerve-racking sleeping with anyone, right? Re: Home Depot- I just meant that they should be going there to look for some good supplies. Brick might be good :) Thanks for adding your thoughts!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 10, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

Okay I totally need to start this series ASAP!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — November 10, 2012 @ 5:51 AM

I absolutely LOVE this show! But I don’t know what’s going on with the Governor. I was thinking he kept the heads as trophy’s but then again I can’t figure out why he would keep Michon’s two zombies. I guess we’ll have to see!! And as for the zombies themselves, they mentioned in the last episode that they don’t starve because they don’t require as much food as we do…but they MUST starve if they don’t get any food. Like remember last season when there was that gross fat zombie in the well. You would think he would starve, but who knows!? Ahhhhh so many questions! I guess half the fun is not knowing the answers, but I’m so glad you posted about this. What a fun topic!

Lori Lange — November 10, 2012 @ 6:33 AM

Yes, you do! My sister started watching it last night and plowed through the first 3 episodes. It hooks ya!

Lori Lange — November 10, 2012 @ 6:35 AM

There can’t be enough “food” for all of the zombies, right? But they all seem to be so strong and ferocious! I’d be doing some experimenting- like capturing one to keep in solitary confinement to see how long it lives without food. Then at least they’d know what the lifespan of a zombie is!

Sandra White — November 10, 2012 @ 7:10 AM

Here’s a question. How come, if they all turn into zombies when they die. then why are they all so scared of being bitten and turning

Lori Lange — November 10, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

Well, they still “die,” and turn into these gross creatures that eat people. I don’t think any of them want that for their fate!

elaine — November 10, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

The Governor is clearly evil, as he sits in his sitting room with ‘trophy fish tank heads’ I think he is thinking about his next ‘kill’ his next ‘trophy head’.

vanessa — November 10, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

Love this post because I too am OBSESSED with this show. Didn’t start watching it until last year because, I mean, zombies? All set – not really a sci-fi type of girl. But it’s SO GOOD. I read a not so great zombie novel a few months ago in which a community had formed inside the towering walls of a huge sports arena. Seems like a good option, though I love the prison as I once worked in one as a therapist and find all of it just fascinating. Bring it on!

Renee@Mykitchenadventures — November 10, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Here is a thought on the governor and his heads…in season one, the CDC guy commented on the disease being in the brain…so maybe he is keeping them to do experiments on to see if he can use them as weapons…control them so to speak..or cure…IDK. But either way, it would give him an edge on ruling this world. And for some reason, I believe he used to be some sort of preacher or something before the Apocalypse. I don’t have proof, but he just acts like one.

Lori Lange — November 11, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

That’s what I’m wondering… are they trophies or something else?!

Lori Lange — November 11, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

I agree on the preacher thing… and hopefully SOMEONE is working on a cure or something, right?! For now I think they just need gear to wear so that they can walk among the dead and survive. Seems like that should be the #1 priority!

Sarah — November 12, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

My friends and I watch the show together every Sunday and I was very anti last season about watching icky zombie stuff, but now I’m TOTALLY addicted. I never thought I would cry during an episode, but Laurie’s passing got to me. ( I too was hoping for a zombie baby!) We talked last night about why there are no stores for them to go to except these little corner stores. (no sponsors want to be affiliated with the apocalypse? That could be awesome for them!)

The governor creeps me out a lot too and I wonder what that safe little village is all about?

Samantha — November 13, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

I LOVE THIS SHOW!! Do you remember how they found out that “it’s” all inside them? “it” meaning the ability to turn into a zombie without being bitten. They touched on that subject in a couple episodes but have not elaborated!!

I think Maggie and Glen are going to raise the baby because Rick has lost his mind, he doesn’t even know if the baby is his anyway! I’m most curious about Rick, if he is going to get his mind together or not!

Lori Lange — November 13, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

They noticed it with someone who died (not having been bitten). Maybe that kid that they brought back to the farm from the little town… did someone kill him and then he turned into a zombie? Plus, Rick killed Shane and remember that he almost immediately stood up and turned into a zombie? Crazy.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — November 14, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Great minds think alike! I just posted about this show myself. So glad to see a fellow food blogger obsessed with “Walking Dead”! Your questions are exactly what I want to know too – formula for the baby? What’s up with the heads in tanks? And yeah – who cuts the grass??? LOVE this post, Lori!

Ash — November 17, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

Not to throw in any spoilers, first of all my daughter got me hooked on this show !!!!! Lol I don’t think Laura is dead, I think Carol found her and stitched her back up, because if you remember she was practicing on zombies, and its a big convenience for her to disappear inside the prison, plus Laura’s body was never found, and I don’t believe Carl shot her !!!!!

Lori Lange — November 18, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

I love your thinking! We’ll see !!!!

Kelster — November 20, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I started on Season 1 last Tuesday and it took me 6 days to watch all the episodes and be caught up. ADDICTIVE.
    Samantha, above, asked how they knew it was inside them. Dr. Jenner at the CDC told Rick before he left. Rick chose not to tell the group. They were preparing us for that reveal by having Rick point out that the guards at the school weren’t bitten and then having Randall and Shane immediately turn after dying.

The Governor is going to attack the prison. Merle planted it in his head that his brother and the others seemed to have a good set-up so I am pretty sure he is heading there on the attack. Michonne will be there to help them fight. But will Daryl fight his brother?

Zoe Ann — January 12, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

Love this show. Wasn’t going to watch it, but my son got me hooked. Went back and rented the first episodes and go caught up.
    What’s with the Tea they are always drinking? Often wondered myself about Wal-Mart and Home Depot. Are they in too big of a City? Aren’t some on the interstate??
    It will be interesting to see what happens with Merle and Daryl? I think Michonne is one mean motor scooter. The idea of using the two walkers as pack mules, brilliant!!
    Can’t wait to see what happens in February!!
    Guess I’ll have to make salted caramel sauce for my apples while I watch the next season!!

Lori — March 16, 2013 @ 2:25 PM

This show is so addicting! Great character writing, along with actors that know what they are doing. I am a Daryl, Machone and Rick fan. I wonder who will be back next season?