Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See

More from me:  Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See!

Red White and Blue 4th of July Beverages

Here’s the feature I wrote for Parade Magazine this week:  5 Red/White and Blue drink recipes for 4th of July!  They include a couple kid-friendly beverages, like this one from Katrina’s Kitchen, and there are some cocktails mixed in there too.  Save these ideas for 4th of July- they’re festive, fun, impressive, and they’re all pretty easy to make.

Culinary Covers Update June 20

Here’s what’s been happening on my other blog > Culinary Covers < over the last couple of weeks:  Cherries Jubilee Ice Cream Pie, Red/White and Blueberry Pops, Strawberry- Pomegranate Sauce and Strawberry Soup. Check out those recipes if something catches your eye!  You can subscribe to Culinary Covers to get twice weekly updates for new recipes shared > HERE.

Peanut Butter Comfort

It’s another new book!  This one is from my friend Averie Sunshine from the blog Averie Cooks:  Peanut Butter Comfort.  I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of this book in my mailbox, but I can tell you that Averie is a very accomplished creator of sweet things so I am very excited to check this one out!  Plus, these kinds of “niche” cookbooks are really fun to have in a cookbook collection.  Here are some of the recipes offered:

• Peanut Butter-Filled Chocolate Brownie Cookies
• Coconut Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Cookies
• Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse
• Chocolate Peanut Butter and Jelly Milkshakes
• Savory Peanut Butter Hummus
• Peanut Butter and Chocolate Snack Mix
• Spicy Peanut Butter and Jelly Sweet Potato Fries

Sounds great, right??  I’m especially eyeing those peanut butter and jelly sweet potato fries!!  You can purchase Peanut Butter Comfort > HERE, where it is currently selling for only $13.53

30 Day Plank Challenge

My friend Liz (from the fabulous healthy food blog The Lemon Bowl) shared this infographic on Facebook last night.  It caught my eye because I know it’s a challenge I should take on immediately.  My arms have always been rather weak, and this is a great way to build strength.  Should I make a commitment and do it?  Will you do it with me??  If you decide to participate, you can follow along on Twitter sharing your experience by using the #plankaday hashtag.

Watermelon Plate Salad

I spotted this recipe on the Three Many Cooks food blog this week, and I think this is pretty much the greatest idea ever!  They are using watermelon slices as “plates” for  the salad- SO much fun for summer, don’t you think?  Find the printable recipe here: Basil- Prosciutto Salad on Watermelon Plates.  I’m already busy thinking up some more ideas for new recipes using those watermelon plates!!

BLOGHER FOOD AUSTIN

My sweet friend Sandy from the blog Reluctant Entertainer shared this photo on her BlogHer Food recap post last week, and I decided I had to share it too.  It’s full of some of my very favorite people in the world blogging.  You should know them too and trust them for fabulous blog reading and recipe ideas > Julie (The Little Kitchen), Sandy (Reluctant Entertainer), OH LORDY LOOK AT ME AND THOSE WHITE LEGS… SOMEONE GET ME TO THE BEACH PRONTO!, Ree (The Pioneer Woman), Amanda (Kevin and Amanda), Maria (Two Peas and Their Pod), Sommer (A Spicy Perspective) and Jenny (Picky Palate).  They’re all the sweetest, nicest gals you’ll ever meet.

RecipeGirl's New Home

I suppose the biggest news this week:  I moved!  Yes, I moved… away from San Diego, where I called home for 28 years.  Our new home is up on the mountain between Reno and Tahoe (Nevada), and we are nestled among huge pine trees.  Yes, we’ll actually have some weather here.  I might see an occasional bear.  Squirrels and chipmunks are part of the natural landscape, and I’ve already spotted deer walking through my backyard.  It’s beyond beautiful and peaceful, and we are having great fun exploring our new surroundings.  Why did we move? >> we fell in love with the area, and our family was excited about experiencing a new adventure!  I’m currently buried in a sea of moving boxes, but I’m gradually digging myself out and getting settled.  I look forward to sharing bits and pieces of this new adventure with my readers.

Bear Salt and Pepper

Since we live in the mountains now, I couldn’t resist picking up this silly little bear salt & pepper set.  I told myself I wasn’t going to buy any of this Tahoe-themed stuff, but I seriously had to have it.   My kitchen is a bit smaller than the one in my last house, but I’m making do with it and it will soon be fabulous.  I’ll be sharing the details of my new kitchen once I’m organized and ready for its debut!

Until next week, my friends! XO

25 Responses to “Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See”

Sandy @ RE — June 20, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

You’re so beautiful, I didn’t even notice your legs. LOL That was so fun. I always love your posts where you show us what’s going on in your life! And the watermelon salad … it’s on my menu this weekend for Paul’s bday!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — June 20, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

Hope the move went well! I haven’t seen a Mayflower truck since my grandfather worked for them 25 years ago.. it brought a smile to my face.

I have very (very!) weak arms, going to try this plank business!

The Healthy Apple — June 20, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

You look fabulous in this photo, as always! Loving this watermelon salad- it’s on my 4th of July picnic list.
    So happy for you with your new home; congrats and enjoy your weekend!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 20, 2013 @ 5:59 PM

Thanks for blogging about my cookbook, Lori! I really appreciate it and your kinds words!

And that pic of you and all those fab ladies who were at BlogHer – I love that pic and have seen it floating around! Makes me wish I would have been able to go. Well, someday :)

And congrats on your move! Nestled among huge pine trees and the natural beauty of the area is just awe-inspiring! Hope the unpacking process is going smoothly!

Tieghan — June 20, 2013 @ 7:58 PM

Congrats on the big move! My brother live in Tahoe and he never wants to leave cause it is always so nice! Hope you are settling in and enjoy they new home!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — June 20, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

Fabulous post, girl! And, that photo? Love. It. Wish I could have been there at BHF. Such a beautiful group of ladies…inside and out. Great recipes and ideas–especially that watermelon salad plate concept. I’ve had Averie’s PB Comfort book for about two weeks now. Can’t wait to bake from it and feature it on the blog. And, wow! Your “curbside” view at your new place with your Mayflower delivery looks woodsy-gorgeous! May all your hopes and dreams as a family come true in your new home. xo

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — June 21, 2013 @ 3:57 AM

Seriously that watermelon plate is blowing my mind! I hope you have a great weekend and you are enjoying getting set up in your new house. What an adventure! And thanks again for the Layered Drink love! They are on our menu again for the 4th this year- so much fun for the kiddos! xoxo- K

Faith — June 21, 2013 @ 5:05 AM

I need that watermelon salad in my life – it looks fabulous!! Such a great picture from BlogHer, I wish I had been able to go…you girls are all gorgeous! LOVE that bear S&P set…and yay for being all moved and ready to settle in. It’s still a lot of work, but unpacking and getting everything set up just how you want it is a ton of fun too.

Happy Friday! :)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 21, 2013 @ 6:48 AM

Congrats on the big move, Lori! Looks like you’ve snagged yourself a bit of peaceful paradise. Great shares in his post, too! Thanks and have a nice weekend!

Jody Gates — June 21, 2013 @ 7:09 AM

Love this post. I love the recipes and all you blog about especially your randomness…is that word? Happy Friday!!!

Kathryn — June 21, 2013 @ 7:20 AM

Congratulations on the new home, it sounds like a fabulous adventure for you all!

Maria — June 21, 2013 @ 7:22 AM

I am doing the plank challenge! Join in on the fun! Congrats on the new house. I am so happy for you! And you are my favorite too:) xo

jamie @ green beans & grapefruit — June 21, 2013 @ 7:37 AM

Congrats on the move…sounds like a beautiful place from what you said. I’m sure you’ll find tons of new inspiration just from being surrounded by different things. Bummed I missed Blogher but looked like a fun time!

Cookbook Queen — June 21, 2013 @ 7:58 AM

HUGE congratulations on the big move!!! I think I”m going to try the planking thing too…never done a plank in my life, so it should be interesting!!

Heidi @foodiecrush — June 21, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

So happy for you guys and the new digs! I say go for the Tahoe kitsch, if you can’t beat em, join em. I’m doing the plank challenge too, strong bodies, strong minds!

marcie@flavor the moments — June 21, 2013 @ 8:51 AM

Obviously I need to get over to Culinary Covers…everything looks like something I need to make ASAP! I will be getting Averie’s cookbook…her recipes always inspire and look terrific! I’ve been doing planks off and on for a few years, and they are incredibly hard and effective. I used to be able to do 2 minutes, but not anymore. I will try this challenge! It sounds great.

Donalyn@The Creekside Cook — June 21, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

I love that kitschy S&P set – so cool! And glad to hear how much you are enjoying your new home – watch out you don’t turn into a hermit like me! ;)

Rena — June 21, 2013 @ 11:14 AM

congrats on your move. good luck and looking fwd to hearing more. loved this post!

Victoria — June 21, 2013 @ 11:17 AM

Congratulations on your new home! We live in the “woods” in Northwestern NJ…lots of bear, deer (with those nasty deer ticks), and other critters…as well as the peacefulness of pines, lakes, and wooded areas. I am sure you will love living in the nature!

Cali — June 22, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

I love the plank challenge however the photo is not the best example. The model should tuck her pelvic bone under and pull up in her knees and thighs. The belly (uddiyana bandha) needs to be pulled in and that will allow her back not to arch which can lead to back issues. She needs to not sink into her shoulders and her gaze needs to be on the floor a few inches in front of her hands.

• Lori Lange replied: — June 22nd, 2013 @ 4:57 PM

I agree!

Yvette N. — June 22, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

I had never seen Lake Tahoe, and we were there last month, and went on
    a luncheon cruise on the big paddle wheeler. OMG, what a beautiful place,
    so very peaceful, with wonderful wildlife and views. Enjoy your new digs!

Brenda @ Sugar-Free Mom — June 23, 2013 @ 4:36 AM

Congrats on the move, how exciting! I didn’t notice the white legs, I noticed the Skinny LONG legs you have!! I love the plank idea from the Lemon Bowl, I just might try it too! BUT the cutest idea ever is that watermelon plate, LOVE it!

Nessa — June 23, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

Looove those salt and pepper shakers!

Candice — June 24, 2013 @ 8:22 AM

Congrats on the move! I didn’t even notice your legs until you pointed it out. =) I plan on doing the plank challenge. Love your S&P set, very cute!