Featured Recipes from The Recipe Girl Cookbook

What do you do when you’re half-unpacked from moving into a new house, have no furniture and you’re just getting to know your surroundings?  You host a neighborhood BBQ, of course!  We really don’t have our new house set-up at all yet.  Furniture still needs to be ordered, walls still needs to be painted, and boxes still need to be unpacked and sorted through.  But we’ve been meeting a lot of families in our neighborhood, and we did purchase some OUTDOOR furniture… so we rounded up 10 of our new friends and their 12 kids and had some backyard fun.  The photos featured in this post are all recipes that are found in The Recipe Girl Cookbook.

So Cal 7 Layer Mex Dip

The two dips I served at the BBQ are my two favorite dips from the book.  This one is my SoCal (Southern California) 7-Layer Mexican Dip.  It’s not your typical Mexican layer dip- there are some secret layers in there (like fresh corn) that make it a little bit unique and delicious.  This was devoured by our guests, so I guess they liked it too!

Caramelized Onion Dip
My other favorite dip in the book:  Caramelized Onion Dip.  Our family has always been big fans of that silly dip you buy in the little tub near the sour cream.  This homemade version is INFINITELY better.

Avocado-Pine-Nut-Salad

This is an old photo, but we served this salad last night too:  Pine Nut- Avocado Salad.  If you ask any of my family members what their favorite salad is, they’ll tell you it’s this one!  After many, many years of making this salad, it’s still my favorite to share with friends.  I think it’s the dressing and the toasted pine nuts that ties it all together in a wonderful way.

Bacon and Brown Sugar Slow Cooker Baked Beans
I needed a side dish for yesterday’s BBQ that I wouldn’t have to fret over at the last minute, so I went with my Bacon & Brown Sugar Slow Cooker Baked Beans.  They can slow cook themselves for 6 hours and then they’re ready to go.  I almost forgot about them since they were taking care of themselves!

Lemon Shortbread Cookies with White Chocolate Drizzle

In all honesty, we served a couple of desserts that aren’t in the cookbook for our BBQ yesterday.  I made Better Than Robert Redford, which is a fun dessert that I used to make all the time back in college, and we had strawberry shortcake and chocolate dipped strawberries too.  I wanted to share a dessert with you though, so I dug up a photo of these cookies from my cookbook- another of my favorites: Lemon Shortbread Cookies with White Chocolate Drizzle.  They’re a crunchy coffee-dunking kind of cookie with a sweet topping.  It’s hard to eat just one!

RecipeGirl Cookbook Cover 600
The Recipe Girl Cookbook is available online at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Indie Bound.  You should also be able to find it in person at Barnes & Noble and other bookstores.  All of the recipes shown here can be found in the cookbook.

A few details about The Recipe Girl Cookbook:

• There are 195 recipes in the book (only 80% of them are brand-new… not found on RecipeGirl.com)
  • The recipes are on the Family-Friendly spectrum… things that your family will actually eat, yet I tried to focus on coming up with ideas for recipes that were a little bit more unique.
  • The recipes aren’t meant to be time-consuming or difficult.
  • Chapters span all meals of the day.
  • There are special icons throughout that note which recipes are dairy free, gluten-free and vegetarian.
  • Every recipe includes a “Change it Up!” tip, showing you a way to change the recipe to make it a little different.
  • There are 20 easy, themed entertaining menus at the end of the book.
  • Amazon has added a great preview into the book where you can see many of the recipes from the first chapter- it gives you a good idea of how the book is organized and how the recipes are displayed.  Click “LOOK INSIDE” on the Amazon page to see.

I hope it’s a book that you’ll consider putting on your bookshelf, and that it’s one you’ll reach for again and again :)

17 Responses to “Featured Recipes from The Recipe Girl Cookbook”

Marcie — July 1, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

What lucky neighbors you have! I’m sure they know that after tasting all of your delicious looking food. They all sound amazing.

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) — July 1, 2013 @ 11:10 AM

Wow, that is impressive Lori. I am not sure I would be able to pull off a party after just moving! I just ordered your cookbook for my mother-in-law for her birthday – I think she is going to love it!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — July 1, 2013 @ 11:18 AM

Love this post, Lori! So very cool to host a BBQ to meet your new neighbors without even having settled in completely yet. Since this post is about your cookbook, and in response to your last reply, I think perhaps this summer I shall make and feature on the blog either a salad (the Avo Pine Nut one), your Chocolate Chip Cake or Penguin Burgers. (Penguin Burgers! Loved the recipe headnote on that one. I, too, worked at a soda fountain place in high school. Fun memories!) Each recipe seems so All-American and, well, Recipe Girl! xo

Kim — July 1, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

Good for you! I wish you were our neighbors. I purchased your cookbook and had marked each of these recipes as ones I want to try. I guess I need to host a party for our neighbors. We are somewhat near you; we are on Lake Almanor in Northern California. We do our serious shopping in Reno monthly. I’ll be interested to see if you notice a difference in your baking from SoCal. Enjoy your new home and some real weather.

• Lori Lange replied: — July 2nd, 2013 @ 7:59 AM

So far no real difference. One tip that was given to me was that higher altitude sometimes needs just a little more moisture, so using extra large eggs instead of large is sometimes enough to help. That’s what I’ve been doing, and so far so good!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — July 1, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

Lori, these all look so scrumptious! Your onion dip and baked beans are calling to me!

Tieghan — July 1, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

I wish I was your new neighbor! These all look delicious!

Nikki — July 1, 2013 @ 8:22 PM

Welcome to the neighborhood! Oh, how I’d love to be a new neighbor of yours! Nice spread, Lori. I wish I had a sample of those beans.

Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon — July 2, 2013 @ 4:59 AM

Wow, you are amazing! Hosting a dinner party right after moving? So much fun and a great way to meet your neighbors. Love your menu. Check out our post today, we have some really good link outs-including a fabulous one from you! Happy 4th and Happy unpacking!

Sandy Pudoff — July 2, 2013 @ 7:39 AM

Great post, I avidly follow your blog but didn’t know you had a cookbook out. Had to correct that so off to Amazon I went. I could really use a new spin on the tired old 7 layer dip! Now I wait 5 to 7 days!

Joan - My Cookie Clinic — July 2, 2013 @ 8:45 AM

Lori, What a lovely way to introduce your family to the neighborhood. Somehow I have a feeling your house is going to be the party house! Enjoy your new neighbors and surroundings.

Debby D. — July 2, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

I received an Amazon gift card for Mother’s Day and promptly bought your cookbook! I absolutely love it. The photos are incredible and my dream is to do a recipe a day just to be sure I do them all…there wasn’t one I don’t want to try. Not sure if I can do the one a day, but at least I will use it several times during the week. Actually, tonight is bbq with friends and am doing the baked beans and the mexican salad with honey-lime vinaigrette. Should be yummy!

Aimee — July 2, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

We just hosted a BBQ last weekend and we made your Penguin Burgers. Yum!!! Had tons of compliments on them and the special sauce :)

Nessa — July 2, 2013 @ 4:33 PM

That’s awesome! Kudos :)

Jackie @ The Beeroness — July 3, 2013 @ 12:10 PM

Gorgeous job Lori! You have some lucky neighbors :)

Marysue (@NativeOrchid) Feltman — July 3, 2013 @ 4:04 PM

Oooo, I have “Next-Door-Neighbor-Envy” purdy bad right now! ;0) All of these recipes look so yummm…definitely going to try them all. Thank you for sharing..have a great 4th!

Nutmeg Nanny — July 16, 2013 @ 8:08 AM

Oh goodness, that salad looks divine! Full of all of my favorite flavors :)