Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See

Here’s some more general “Stuff” for ya!

Happy 4th of July… or if you’re in another part of the world, Happy Day!  Around here 4th of July is BIG.  Totally big.  Lake Tahoe is crazy-crowded.  We’re headed up to see some friends near Tahoe City for a daytime BBQ, but we’ll be getting out of the craziness before the fireworks hit and heading back home to our new mountain home.

Strawberry Shortcake on a Stick - RecipeGirl.com

Here’s what I’m bringing to our friend’s 4th of July BBQ, and it just happens to be the recipe that I shared on Parade Magazine’s blog this week:  Strawberry Shortcake on a Stick.  You can go super lazy with this one and use chunks of store-bought angel food cake and Cool Whip, or you can get gourmet and make Homemade Pound Cake and make a Sweetened Cream Cheese Whipped Cream.  I’m going gourmet since I don’t have the responsibility of hosting the entire party.

Mophie

My husband surprised me with one of these this week.  It’s the Mophie iPhone charger.  My iPhone 4 battery doesn’t keep its charge very well, but now I don’t have to worry about it since you just slip it in this case (I have RED), and it will stay charged all day long.  It’s definitely pricey, but if you’re on your phone a lot it’s totally worth it.  They make it for both the iPhone 4 and 5.

Culinary Covers July 3

Here’s what’s been happening on my other food blog the last couple of weeks:  Oven Baked BBQ Chicken (I can’t wait to try this- it looks delicious!!), Honey-Mustard Broccoli Salad with Beluga Lentils (yummy vegetarian option), Strawberry- Thyme Lemonade (perfect for summer!), and Southwest Frito Pie (my family’s favorite dinner).  Check out the recipes by clicking on recipe titles.

Seed Block and Deer

Spotted this guy on the rock wall in our backyard a few days ago.  Totally did a double take because he was like RIGHT THERE when we looked out the window at 3pm… eating our plants, of course.  We admired him for a few minutes and then chased him away.  So cute.  See that SEED BLOCK there?  It’s a little something that my husband picked up at the nursery- and it brings around squirrels, chipmunks and birds for our entertainment.

Spiceologist Block

This is super cool > It’s a Spiceologist Block that can hold up to 44 fresh spices offered from a spice company called Savorx.  Savorx is a different kind of spice company in that they offer unique culinary subscriptions (think: great recipes with spices shipped to you each month), and they also have over 100 spices in their online shop and in their local storefront.  You can read a lot more about this new product > HERE.  I’m thinking it’s the perfect gift for the cook who has everything- it’s a terrific way to organize your spices so they’re easily accessible.  My friend Heather at Farmgirl Gourmet is involved in this cool venture with the Savorx company.  Check it out!

Martha Stewart Model
Can you guess who this model is from way back???  Hint:  It’s a food personality… give up?  It’s Martha Stewart!  I saw ZipList share this on Facebook the other day, and I thought it would be fun to share too.  I really had no idea she had been a model once upon a time.

Lighter Chicken Enchiladas

Incidentally, this is Martha Stewart’s most popular recipe of all time:  Lighter Chicken Enchiladas.  I must try them!

Front Porch

Here’s a sneak peek at part of our house:  the front porch.  IT’S MY 1ST FRONT PORCH EVER!  Seriously, I’ve lived in a lot of houses in my life and I’ve never had a front porch.  I love it.  It’s missing rocking chairs (which we’ll get eventually), but since the rest of our house is pretty much void of furniture at this point, we’re working on the inside first!

If you’re in the USA, I wish you a happy and safe 4th of July, and if you’re elsewhere… I wish you a fabulous rest of the week.

Until next week everyone… XO RecipeGirl

25 Responses to “Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See”

Rachel Cooks — July 3, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

Loving the porch!

Rachel Cooks — July 3, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

Loving the porch!

Pris Robichaud — July 3, 2013 @ 6:58 PM

I love those spice tubes! Yes, I knew Martha was a model. Ireland her autobiography and have followed her for years. I use her pâté brisse recipe for my pies.

Love your blog and recipes. I ate a piece of super marker angel food cake, and it was like eating sawdust and cardboard. Horrible experience.

Happy 4th!

Tieghan — July 3, 2013 @ 7:58 PM

Such a cute porch! Happy 4th Lori!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — July 3, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

Great post, Lori! So happy you are enjoying your new home and environs…beautiful wildlife. :) Love your front porch! Had one growing up, but not since. And, yes…I knew Martha was a model in her younger days when I started following her after her iconic Entertaining book was released and remember when she first launched her magazine, MSL. She was also a Wall Street broker in the early ’70s! Happy 4th of July! xo

Lori Lange — July 3, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

so funny that you mentioned that because I just asked my husband, “Did you know that MS used to be a model?” and he said, “yeah, and she was a stockbroker too!” I had no idea!

Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon — July 3, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

The front porch rocks, so does the phone case….need to look into that, my phone is always low on battery. Have a fabulous and safe fourth! Cheers!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 3, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

Spiceologist Block = that is seriously cool!

The deer – I grew up in MN and we would have deer come up to our windows too! Or at least eat my dad’s backyard garden :)

And those Martha S pics are crazy! I knew she was a model abut wouldn’t have ever pegged her from those pics!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — July 3, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

Great post Lori and thank you for including our Spice Block!!! We are super pumped about it and can’t wait for 38 more days and a celebration for hitting our goal (serious optimist) :) Thank you again!!!

xo
    Heather

David — July 4, 2013 @ 12:46 AM

I love my Mophie!

Melissa @ My Recent Favorite books — July 4, 2013 @ 5:52 AM

The recipes look delicious!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Vicki Bensinger — July 4, 2013 @ 6:26 AM

Wow lots of great recipes – love the Fritos dish. I especially like the Morphie. I’m always running low on juice as is my son. I see they have 2 models, which one do you have? Is it as easy to use as it shows, without any glitches?

Thanks for sharing.

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — July 4, 2013 @ 6:55 AM

Great shares, Lori! Happy 4th!! :)

Kristen — July 4, 2013 @ 7:38 AM

What a fun roundup – love the deer and your front porch! So fun!

Karyn - Pint Sized Baker — July 4, 2013 @ 7:40 AM

Loving the large front porch. We have one, but it’s too hot to enjoy it right now. Such a bummer… but we enjoy the back porch more in the summer anyway :)

Nessa — July 4, 2013 @ 8:25 AM

I had no idea about Martha!

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — July 4, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

Love that Strawberry Shortcake on a stick! I’ll definitely be trying that sometime..

Marcie — July 4, 2013 @ 11:03 AM

Happy 4th! I’m heading home from the Tahoe area. It was just beautiful! Your kebabs look fantastic – I would love to have those tonight! I’ve made the Martha Stewart Lighter Enchiladas and everyone in the house loved them. I need to make them again!

Carla @ Carlas Confections — July 4, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

So fun to see the deer that close! And your porch looks awesome! Hope Tahoe is treating you well!!!! And who knew Martha used to be a model?! So crazy.

Jackie @ The Beeroness — July 5, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

I love you’re new 4 legged neighbor, such a beauty.
    And that iPhone case I’m sort in love with. Thanks for sharing! Perfect for traveling.

Nutmeg Nanny — July 5, 2013 @ 8:18 PM

Oh wowza Martha! There are so many things I love on this post! For one, that porch is darling and I want it :) and oh goodness do I need that frito pie asap!

Laura @ Family Spice — July 5, 2013 @ 8:35 PM

Way jealous about the porch! I heard Martha was a model once, but never saw the pictures. And a Mophi is on my wish list. Just have to upgrade my iPhone 3! Hope you had a lovely 4th in your new digs!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — July 5, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

I love the shortcake on a stick, Lori! And I really need that phone charger case!

Kristi — July 6, 2013 @ 5:59 AM

I have a front porch that I want to clean up and make it a place that I want to go sit out on and relax. It’s on my summer list of things to do.

Lori Lange — July 6, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

I’m not quite sure which model… looks like the one in the photo though!