Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See

Yep, here we go again… more Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See:

Spiked Raspberry Lemonade Recipe - RecipeGirl.com

Here’s what I shared this week on Parade Magazine’s food blog:  5 Spiked Lemonade Recipes to Keep You Cool This Summer (like this beauty pictured above, another with whiskey and a delicious lemonade with blueberry-infused vodka).  They actually all look like must-tries for summer happy hours!

6 Secrets You Don't Know About Skim Milk

I kind of had the major eye-opener on my RecipeGirl Facebook page over the weekend.  We drink skim milk in our house, and we always have for as-long-as-I-can-remember.  I accidentally picked up a gallon of whole milk at the store the other day and brought it home.  “Oh Crud,” I said when I noticed it.  What the heck am I going to do with that?  So I posed the question on my FB page:  “What can I do with a gallon of whole milk?”  I received FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY TWO responses.  Isn’t that crazy?!  There were suggestions to make yogurt, cheese, pudding and things like that, but many folks just told me to drink it- that’s it’s so much better for you than skim milk.  Here’s where the eye-opening experience came in.  I started reading articles that my readers shared, and found that the process of removing fat from whole milk leaves little left… so the skim milk has more sugar and carbs and you don’t get the vitamins that you get when you drink whole milk… and some companies even add fillers to make it taste better.  EEK!  How did I not know this?  Did you know this??  There are some great resources out there where you can read about this, but start with this one:  6 Secrets You Don’t Know About Skim Milk.

One of the suggestions from someone who sympathized with the fact that I’m not used to tasting the rich flavor of whole milk:  Buy whole milk, but add some water to it to thin it out.  I’m going to try this and see how it works for me.

Reconstructing Amelia
Here’s the book I’m currently reading:  Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight.  I’m finding it to be one of those hard-to-put-down books that is super easy to read in the summer.  I’m half-way through already and I still can’t figure out how the book is going to end!  Description from Amazon:

Kate gets a telephone call from her daughter’s exclusive private school in Brooklyn. Amelia has been suspended, effective immediately, and Kate must come get her daughter—now. Kate arrives at the school and finds out that her daughter, an academic overachiever despondent over getting caught cheating has jumped to her death. At least that’s the story the school tells Kate. In the aftermath of this, she gets an anonymous text: She didn’t jump.  The story continues from there…

Fans of Gillian Flynn’s Gone Girl will find Reconstructing Amelia just as gripping and surprising.

Lemon Chive Cheese Dip
I have some older recipes on my site that do not have pictures.  Here’s one I made last weekend for a neighborhood gathering that I finally got to photograph:  Lemon- Chive Cheese Dip.  It was a big hit with everyone who nibbled on it.  The lemony flavor makes it a good summer dip.

Family Friendly Gluten Free Cookbook Recommendations

I had a friend message me recently to see if I could recommend some family-friendly gluten-free cookbooks.  So I took to Facebook and asked my fans what their favorite Family-Friendly Gluten-Free Cookbooks were.  I thought you might like to know too.  Here were the top recommendations:  The Healthy Gluten-Free Life by Tammy Credicott, Gluten-Free on a Shoestring by Nicole Hunn, Eat Like a Dinosaur (recipes and guidebook for GF Kids) by Paleo Parents and Cooking for Isaiah by Silvana Nardone.

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzels - RecipeBoy.com

My son Brooks (RecipeBoy) made an easy little dessert treat for 4th of July (though you can make it with any color sprinkles, any time of year):  Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzels

Lake Tahoe- Homewood

And this was our view on 4th of July- at the Tahoe home of some good friends of ours from back in our old San Diego neighborhood.  Not bad, eh?

Have a terrific week!

Disclosure:  There are a few Amazon affiliate links included within this post.

29 Responses to “Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See”

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — July 9, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

That whole milk facebook revelation is crazy! People are very opinionated about milk! Who knew?! We did whole for our boys but now 2%.

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — July 9, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

Glad you were prompted to read more about skim milk and the additives used to make it in order to make an informed decision to return to nutrient-rich whole milk for your family, Lori. I had my eyes opened long ago (the Atkins era) and gave up the fat-free and low-fat mantras. We are a full fat everything household to include full fat Greek yogurt, LOL. Those low-fat foods are not “lighter” when taking sugars into account and when one is trying to lose weight–let alone eat healthy. For instance, rice cakes and sugar-free Jell-O. Not good! Super high glycemic indexes and there IS sugar in sugar-free Jell-O. It’s just not called “sugar”. In fact, maltodextrin is more than double the glycemic index value of regular table sugar. Shockers. It is found everywhere in prepared foods, too. Read labels. If you’d like to read more about specific foods, diet and nutrients, I highly encourage you to read anything by Mark Sisson. I started following his blog, Mark’s Daily Apple, in 2010. (His site has a terrific archive of articles.) You will soon view Mark as your go-to guy. It all makes so much sense. Also, read Winnie Abramson’s blog with regard to raw dairy. Her book, One Simple Change, will be released this December. (Yay!) Thanks for the book recommendation. I have not read Gone Girl yet and look forward to it! xo

Joan — July 9, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

Thank you for sharing the great article about milk. We have been drinking skim for years at my house. Growing up on the farm we took it from the barn to the stove top to pasteurize it.

Shanna@ pineapple and coconut — July 9, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

I knew about milk but I am one of “those” moms that is crazy about whole organic foods with no fillers. I wasn’t much of a milk drinker as a kid but I have always given my kids whole organic milk from Strauss Dairy – they are a west coast dairy you should check them out – amazing products. My younger daughter stopped drinking milk on her own one day but my older daughter still drinks it. My husband also drinks it. Any dairy that I drink is full fat organic cream in my coffee.

I LOVE all the spiked lemonade recipes..how fun!!

Sally — July 9, 2013 @ 2:20 PM

Those cocktails look so refreshing!

I don’t drink milk. I do use milk in cooking and have used whole milk, organic when possible, exclusively for several years now. I use all full-fat dairy products.

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — July 9, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

The drink looks so refreshing!!! Goes perfectly with the view you shared from Tahoe on the 4th!!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 9, 2013 @ 2:35 PM

Gorgeous last shot!

And 552 replies about milk – not surprised. People are VERY passionate about milk, on all sides of it. I used to be a part of a natural/healthy online living community and that topic always got huge, huge huge response. From the Weston A Price people to the vegans, everyone has something to say. I do think that if one is drinking milk, drinking the whole thing, i.e. whole milk, is a better way to go than skim. It’s like only eating egg whites and skipping the yolks. Not great from a whole-foods nutrition standpoint. Nature wants us to have it all…and then, some say that nature wants us to have none. Always an interesting topic :)

Nessa — July 9, 2013 @ 2:48 PM

That book sounds great!

marcie@flavor the moments — July 9, 2013 @ 4:20 PM

I enjoyed Gone Girl, and Reconstructing Amelia sounds incredible! I need to read that book. I’ll be nominating it at my next book club for sure. We drink non-fat milk here. I’ve been thinking about trying to go to 1% but even that seems so much richer than non-fat. I’m not a big fan, but if I read everything you did, I’d probably choke it down. :)

Denise Terry — July 9, 2013 @ 5:54 PM

My family and I recently bought a herd share at a local farm. We get a gallon of whole raw milk every week and we love it. I skim off the cream to use for coffee, whipped cream and baking.I feel good about knowing where our milk comes from. We were even able to visit the farm and watch the milking process. Our beef and pork comes from this same farm. I am so thankful to have a source like this so close to home.

Leanna H — July 9, 2013 @ 6:16 PM

I won a copy of Reconstructing Amelia and gave it to my sister in law and she loved it! Could not put it down!

Aggie — July 9, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

Ok the milk thing is crazy. We are not huge milk drinkers but switched to organic fat free a few years ago, then 1% this year after a friend briefly mentioned something about skim milk. Now I need to read more!

Totally putting that book on my goodreads list!!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — July 9, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

The skim milk – yeah, me too. I just recently found out about the fillers. But having little kids we are still on 2% milk. We did go through a phase of mixing whole milk with water and it’s pretty good!
    The lemon-chive dip sounds fabulous! Will definitely have to try it!
    Now off to check out the chocolate covered pretzels! Yum!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — July 9, 2013 @ 7:59 PM

Yes…realized the milk thing (along with full fat is better for you bc all of the fillers and sugars and chemicals they add to things when they take the fat out) back in 2006. It was eye opening after the fat-free craze of the 90′s!!

I have to say since switching over to full fat dairy etc, and one more pregnancy…I’m now back to my goal weight and lost my weight while eating REAL butter, WHOLE milk, FULL FAT yogurt, cottage cheese, regular cheese, regular sour cream etc. It’s amazing not only how much better it tastes, but how much more filling it is!! Losing weight and not being hungry while eating whole real full fat foods has been life changing for me, and I will not go back. ;)

Thanks for sharing…I always enjoy these types of blog posts from my favorite bloggers.

Tieghan — July 9, 2013 @ 8:05 PM

That is A LOT of facebook comments! Whoa! I am excited to read the article you linked!!
    Love the shot, it is beautiful!

Jolie — July 10, 2013 @ 8:49 AM

Hi Lori! I have a friend who is a type 1 diabetic and she is very knowledgeable about nutrition. She suggested a couple of years ago that I consider using full-fat dairy products for my family, for the reasons you listed–that skim, even 2%, is much unhealthier. “We’ll get fat!” was my biggest complaint and concern, but after 2 years I haven’t noticed a change in any of my kids, my husband or myself. And my 4 kids are HUGE milk drinkers. I don’t buy sugar-free anything these days, though it’s mainly dairy products that I was concerned with (we don’t really eat prepackaged stuff). It’s really eye-opening, isn’t it?

Julie Weathers — July 10, 2013 @ 9:22 AM

I get so tired of seeing this rehashed HSUS and PETA disinformation.

I grew up on a dairy farm. Yes, we used to pour the skim milk out because there was no market for it. We sold cream only.

97% of dairy farms are family owned. 74% of the dairy farms have fewer than 100 cows. That’s about what we had in our hay day and ours were all milked by hand.

Typical cow day. Cows that have been kept in a very large corral overnight are standing at the barn in the morning waiting to be be milked. They were so used to the routine they went in by order every day on their own. Their bags and teats are thoroughly washed with warm soapy water before they are milked. Oats are poured into their feeders for them to eat while they are milked. Once they are finished, out they go to the pasture.

At 5:00 in the afternoon in they come for evening milking after they’ve been out on grass all day. They get grained again while they are being milked and then turned out to the corral.

Today, most dairy farmers use automatic milkers. That means the bags and teats are washed and then the milker is attached which is like four little vacuum machines solidly attached and sucking the teats. They are not in contact with open sores filled with blood and puss. It’s pretty much impossible unless the teats are torn up in which case they are not milking them for produce, only milking them out to keep them from getting mastitis and drying up.

All this equipment, stalls, cows are inspected and the milk is stored in cooled containers then trucked to market. All equipment has to be sanitized before each use.

Stop listening to all the horror stories about why you shouldn’t drink milk.

Lori Lange — July 10, 2013 @ 9:26 AM

For me, it’s about switching to whole milk from nonfat. That’s all. We drink tons of milk in our house!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — July 10, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

Thanks for the heads up about the milk! I’ve gotta look into that a little more since we drink nothing but skim here. Interesting!

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) — July 10, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

I have the Eat Like a Dinosaur Book and it’s adorable for kids with easy to make recipes and tips for how to involve little ones for each recipe. I would like one of those spiked lemonades right now!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — July 10, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

I’ve never been a fan of skim milk. Grew up on 2%!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 10, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

Your tahoe home view is just gorgeous! I’m totally spending 7/4th with you next time :)

Nikki — July 10, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

I like my skim milk too. I drink it because I don’t like the taste of milk. Actually, I never drink it. I always add it to things. I’m okay with the lack of vitamins. I’ll take my water-tasting milk any day.

Lori Lange — July 11, 2013 @ 7:23 AM

That sounds wonderful- I’ll be checking this out to see if I have access to something like this!

Lori Lange — July 11, 2013 @ 7:25 AM

When my half gallon of nonfat was half gone, I poured in the whole to mix it. My kiddo didn’t notice, and I could taste the difference- it was richer and more flavorful. I liked it! I think I need a gradual transition though.

Lori Lange — July 11, 2013 @ 7:26 AM

I’m going to do the same… make the switch to full-fat everything. Even mayonnaise!

Lori Lange — July 11, 2013 @ 7:26 AM

That is NOT the view from my house, lol! We were at a friend’s house for the 4th :)

shelly (cookies and cups) — July 16, 2013 @ 5:07 AM

Oh I need to download that book for sure!!

Ann Matteson — July 26, 2013 @ 6:28 AM

I just started reading Reconstructing Amelia and it is sooooo good. I read that they are making it into a movie starring Nicole Kidman as Kate.