Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See

Here’s yet another edition of Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See…

Mug Cocktails 600

On Parade Magazine‘s blog this week, it’s clear that I’m trying to keep everyone in the country WARM!  I shared, 5 IN-A-MUG COCKTAILS TO HELP KEEP YOU WARM THIS WINTER.

Comfort Food Recipes

Also shared on Parade:  10 COMFORT FOOD RECIPES TO HELP KEEP YOU WARM THIS WINTER.

Classic-Slow-Cooker-Beef-Stew

Shared on my other blog:  Culinary CoversCLASSIC SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW.  Do you read this other blog of mine?  I’m not quite sure what to do with it… should I keep it going?  Is it interesting or not?  I’m trying to decide…

Weight Watcher's Blogs
You definitely don’t have to be on the Weight Watcher’s diet program to be interested in these blogs.  They’re great resources for lighter eating and if you’re interested in knowing the nutritional information on recipes:
#1:  RECIPEGIRL:  I don’t include nutritional info and WW Points on all of my recipes (only those that you should really be using if you’re eating light), but I do have a rather large Weight Watcher’s category.  Plus, I’m currently devoted to adding more recipes to this category too!
#2:  SKINNYTASTE:  One of my favorites for a very long time now.  Gina is so talented at creating healthier recipes.
#3:  EAT YOURSELF SKINNY:  Kelly has my kind of taste in recipes- I love everything she posts!
#4:  COOKIN’ CANUCK: Dara is a major success story for getting her weight and healthy eating back on track.  My favorites from her blog are the family-friendly dinner ideas.
#5:  SLENDER KITCHEN:  I just discovered this one recently, and I’m so glad I did!  Deliciousness!!
#6:  EMILY BITES:  Again, Emily’s blog is a major find.  This is stuff you actually eat- but made lighter.
#7:  EVERYDAY MAVEN:  Lots of clean-eating and Paleo- focused recipes.
#8:  KITCHEN PARADE:  Alanna is a very talented recipe developer who has been around a long time.  Great recipes here.
#9:  GREEN LITE BITES:  Roni has a successful weight loss story, and she shares her focus on healthy eating on her blog.
#10:  LAALOOSH:  Another great resource for good WW recipes!

Make Your Own Jeans
Make Your Own Jeans

I haven’t tried this yet, but isn’t this a cool concept?? > MAKE YOUR OWN JEANS!  It’s a website where you get to design all of the features of your jeans, and then they make them for you and send them to you!  I want to try it, but I’m totally scared.  Jeans NEVER fit me right.  Let me know if you know anything about this site and if you end up trying it out!

30 Day Ab Challenge

This site is super cool:  30DayFitnessChallenges.com.  They have a bunch of different types of charts sharing various fitness challenges.  30 days is such a great goal because it really feels DOABLE. They have exercise pages too where they explain how to do each exercise and show you a video demo too.  I’m just about to start this one:  The 30 Day Abs Challenge.  I’m looking at the end of the challenge and feeling pretty nervous about whether or not I can achieve 125 sit ups, 200 crunches, 65 leg raises and a 120 second plank in just 30 days… but we’ll see!!

365 Slow Cooker Suppers

Here’s the cookbook that I’m currently madly obsessed with:  365 SLOW COOKER SUPPERS by Stephanie O’Dea.  Stephanie is the author of the Make It Fast, Cook It Slow Cookbooks, and she originally started out as the author of a crockpot cooking blog.  What I love about this book? > These are the slow cooker recipes that you will actually make and be happy with.  Stephanie drew from her audience and from other bloggers for many of the recipes shared in the book.  They were all tested by her and her family, and the best ones were chosen for the book.  There are fresh, new ideas for slow cooker cooking, and just about everything in the book sounds like something my family would enjoy.  Best of all- they are EASY recipes.  I’ll be using this book a LOT in my house for busy weekdays.

NFL Playoffs
Yep, I’m a football fan.  And my family is a bunch of football fans too!  My husband and I still root for the San Diego Chargers (since we lived there for such a long time).  My husband used to play rec basketball with Phillip Rivers.  He’s the father of seven and really such a nice, family guy.  It’s probably a longshot, but we really hope they make it to the SuperBowl!!!  My picks for the rest of the playoffs are shown above- Seahawks for my family who live in Washington, Patriots for our back-east family (and my son’s #1 favorite team), and 49ers too.  The 49ers have been a favorite in my extended family for as long as I can remember.  My uncle’s college roommate was Bill Walsh (their famous coach), and they remained good friends until Walsh died.  QB of the 49er’s Colin Kaepernick played football at UNR (where I live now), so everyone around here is totally crazy about the Niner’s!  Are you rooting for any of these teams??

maple toffee
The coolest, fun recipe I spotted this week was on Bakeaholic Mama’s blog:  SUGAR ON SNOW (Maple Toffee).  This is such a fun thing to do with the kids in this freezing cold weather that some of you are stuck in right now!

2014 Recipes

And finally… I’m just wondering if there are certain kinds of recipes that you’re hoping I share more of this year?  Healthier things?  More slow cooker?  More desserts?  More dinner ideas?  Please share what you’d like.

Have a great week!

Disclosure:  There are Amazon affiliate links included within this post.

23 Responses to “Stuff I’ve Gotta Share and You’ve Gotta See”

30 Day Fitness — January 8, 2014 @ 8:15 AM

Thanks for the post, we hope you enjoy and complete the challenge! :)

Jillian — January 8, 2014 @ 8:40 AM

Keep Culinary Covers! I love reading it! I just wish there were more posts!! :-)

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — January 8, 2014 @ 9:07 AM

Oh I love all of this! Especially those cocktails and I can make my own jeans!? Mind blown! Thanks for a bunch of neat things to look at and kill time to work ;)

Liz @ Virtually Homemade — January 8, 2014 @ 9:11 AM

Yes – Go Chargers!!! San Diego misses you :) I love that jeans site and must check it out. I personally love your quick dinner recipes – keep em coming!

Kathy P. — January 8, 2014 @ 9:59 AM

I like the dinner ideas, slowcooker and even healthier thrown in there. It is nice to have the healthier ones because we can just mix them in with the other yummies.

I also enjoy Culinary Covers.

Thanks.

Kristen — January 8, 2014 @ 11:07 AM

Thanks so much for including me!! Love this whole post – such great info :)

kirsten — January 8, 2014 @ 12:16 PM

Lori,
    I’m half tempted to do the 30 day abs challenge next month–’cuz then I get to end on a rest day and won’t have to do the super long super mega final 2 days!
    I just finished a 4/40 challenge and loved that (you choose one thing in each of 4 categories and work on that for 40 days) and now I’m doing a push up and squat challenge.
    Thanks for the tips, for introducing me to new things–and for Culinary Covers, too!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 8, 2014 @ 12:28 PM

Everything looks delicious as always Lori! Love all the mug cocktails!!

We are rooting for the Chargers too!! I think it’s mandatory if you live or have ever lived in San Diego :)

Sue — January 8, 2014 @ 12:38 PM

I love Culinary Covers. Keep it! It is different than all other food blogs.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 8, 2014 @ 12:42 PM

Make your own jeans – now THAT is cool! Thanks for sharing the link, as well as the links of blogs that are WW-friendly. Good to know since I never include stats but people do like them so have some referrals now. Can’t wait to see what recipes your readers say they want more of…that’s always interesting what people reply with! And I live in San Diego but…don’t follow football at all :)

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor — January 8, 2014 @ 3:09 PM

Thanks for sharing these links, Lori! I could dive right into any of those warm drinks right now.

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) — January 8, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

Thanks for including my site Lori! I totally need to do this make your own jeans thing – I can never find a pair that fits perfectly!!

Kim Porter — January 8, 2014 @ 4:05 PM

Please keep Culinary Covers…I enjoy that blog quite a bit!

rena — January 8, 2014 @ 8:22 PM

I enjoy reading culinary covers! As far as what type of recipe I’d like to see, I like the mix you have ggoing but slow cooker recipes, family friendly quick suppers, and easy desserts are always welcome :) also interesting salad ideas!

Bea Long — January 9, 2014 @ 3:46 AM

Hello again, I was reading your blog earlier but I forgot to answer the question so I will now..I had to come back to look up your recipe for the Crab Guacomole because yours was better than my original one so I could not remember the difference, but now I know. I would like to see more desserts but my number one is “Bread” I make bread like I own a bakery. LOL ..no kidding. I love homemade bread and I have a starter that I have had for 21 years and I got it from my family so I just feed it, use it, give it away and start all over. I know a lot of people are making resolutions to lose weight, but I say eat dessert everyday in moderation. I don’t make resolutions so I don’t have that to worry about. I say make that homemade bread and never give up a dessert. You can still lose weight and not give up anything. Just cut back a little or a little more each day but still eat what you love.

Bea Long — January 9, 2014 @ 3:55 AM

I absolutely like the Culinary Covers but it is up to you. Since it is a shared site then maybe you can just take a vacation from it and let someone else come in or just let the other girls blog on it for a while. You do still share the site right? If I can help in anyway let me know. I will volunteer whatever I can do for you.

La Torontoise — January 9, 2014 @ 5:39 AM

Lori, thank you for this post and the links!! Liked the fitness tips…

I would certainly be very appreciative if you share more dinner recipes. Low-effort, high0impact recipes.

marcie — January 9, 2014 @ 6:54 AM

I’m so into comfort foods right now, like everyone else probably, so I need to check out those recipes on Parade. I can certainly use more slow cooker recipes, too, so thanks for the links!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — January 9, 2014 @ 7:54 AM

LOVE this edition of “Stuff”, Lori! So warm and inviting yet a subtle (brutal?) reminder about fitness. Definitely keep Culinary Covers! It’s a wonderful concept but just might need more time and promotion. I personally enjoy when you share links over to the site. Love the Sugar on Snow recipe…reminds me of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books! P.S. Not sure if you know, but that Pumpkin Cheesecake White Hot Cocoa recipe I adapted from The Recipe Girl Cookbook has a spiked option. I hope you’ll try it!

carrie@bakeaholicmama — January 9, 2014 @ 11:26 AM

Thank you so much for the Sugar on Snow love!! And for the Parade round up. You are too kind.

Marcia — January 9, 2014 @ 8:19 PM

Love football! Go 49ers! Even though I’m from Chicago, they have been a favorite forever.

Mary Ann — January 11, 2014 @ 4:41 AM

Keep Culinary Covers….I really enjoy that blog, have made quite a few of the recipes….Really enjoyed the Crockpot Stew!!

Emily Bites — January 13, 2014 @ 7:08 PM

Aw, thanks for the shout out, Lori – you are the BEST! I’m planning to make your Lemon Chicken Parmesan in the next week or two because I have been salivating over the pictures for the last month or so. Can’t wait! :)