Refreshing and sweet, Grilled Watermelon Pizza with Blueberries, Parmesan and Arugula is a fun twist on the traditional pizza pie. Simple to make, this is a summertime must have for every party this season.
Summer wouldn’t be complete without the juicy goodness of a big, ripe watermelon. It’s something I crave when the weather gets warm, and one bite can totally blast away the effects of sweltering hot day. I remember long summer days playing in the woods behind my house spending hours just wandering around exploring…but once I heard the crickets start to chirp and spotted the twinkle of the first lightening bug I knew it was time to head home. Once I reached the front door, there was always a plate of chilled watermelon wedges waiting for me. The best form of hydration…in my opinion.
My little guy has the same love of watermelon as I do….but he spends his days swimming around in the pool not so far from the house. I still offer up plates of chilled watermelon wedges as a healthy snack…but the adults like to play with their food a little more. And that’s how this Grilled Watermelon Pizza with Blueberries, Parmesan and Arugula came to be.
You would think that a grilled watermelon would lose it’s juiciness…but that’s not the cause. In fact, I feel it actually enhances the flavor, kind of like a release mechanism that makes them just burst at the seems with flavor. The outside has bits of caramelized sugar from the grill grates adding a fun, tasty texture and THEN you can top with anything you like. For this recipe I topped our pizza with a pile of baby arugula, some sliced cherry tomatoes, blueberries and shaved parmesan. The saltiness is totally on point here….don’t skip it, it just belongs there.
Drizzle with a bit of olive oil for a peppery finish and dig in. This Grilled Watermelon Pizza is the perfect light lunch or a great way to kick off a summer barbecue as a healthy appetizer. I just eat the whole pizza myself as my dinner some nights….and I don’t even feel bad about it. And really…why should I? It’s fruit, it’s healthy and it’s summer. Oh….and it only takes about 10 minutes to make from start to finish. Now….go make it!
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Grilled Watermelon Pizza with Blueberries, Parmesan and Arugula
- 1 thick slice watermelon (approximately 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan
- Preheat grill.
- Brush both sides of the watermelon slice with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the watermelon slice, cut side down on the grill grates and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip the slice over and grill for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer the watermelon to a platter and cut into 6 wedges.
- Top with the arugula, blueberries, tomatoes and parmesan.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Serve immediately.
Here are a few more Watermelon recipes you may enjoy:
- Tequila Soaked Watermelon Wedges by Recipe Girl
- Watermelon Blueberry Feta Salad by The Suburban Soapbox
- Strawberry Watermelon Chicken Salad by Reluctant Entertainer