Call me crazy, but I could eat this by the spoonful. I blame my Dad for that. He made homemade Creamy Roquefort Dip all the time when I was little, and I became addicted to it at a very young age.
Yield: About 2 1/2 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus some time for refrigeration
Creamy Roquefort Dip
- 1 medium clove garlic
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound Roquefort (or blue cheese)
- 1 1/2 cups crème fraîche or sour cream (light sour cream will work just fine)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (more or less)
- assorted vegetables
- In a mortar, or with the flat side of a chef's knife, mash the garlic to a paste with a pinch of kosher salt. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the Roquefort. Roughly mash the cheese with the back of a spoon (it's okay to leave some chunks). Stir in the crème fraîche or sour cream and several grinds of pepper, and then add the cream until the consistency is slightly thinner than sour cream. Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Refrigerate until shortly before serving. The dip will thicken in the refrigerator but will return to its original consistency as it comes to room temperature. Serve with assorted vegetables.
- This may be prepared up to 2 days ahead- only add garlic on the day that you will be serving the dip (or it will be too strong).