This Green Olive and Almond Spread recipe suggests using Spanish Marcona almonds- those fabulous skinned almonds that you see in Gourmet Shops. They’re a little flatter than ordinary almonds with a richer flavor. Most Marcona almonds that you purchase have already been sauteed in oil and lightly salted. Look for them at Costco or in gourmet markets.
Yield: Six 1/2 cup servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes + time at room temperature before serving
Green Olive and Almond Spread
- 1/2 cup pitted briny green olives
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds or other (skinned) almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- for serving- sliced zucchini, sliced cucumber, and/or toasted thin baguette slices
- Combine olives, almonds, tarragon and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped. Add oil in a steady stream and process just until the oil is absorbed.
- The spread should have a coarse but easily spoonable texture. Let stand for about 30 minutes for the flavor to develop before serving.
- To toast almonds, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F., stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. (Alternatively, finely chop the olives, almonds and tarragon by hand and combine with lemon juice and oil in a medium bowl.)