Here’s an easy recipe for rich and wonderful Caramel Squares:
These delicious bars have a toffee- pecan crust and a thick layer of caramel frosting. They’re rich! They’re so good!
Yield: 32 bars
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted salted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12x15-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Prepare the bars: In a large bowl, mix together the bar ingredients. Stir until well combined. Pat this layer evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes (should be still soft). Remove from oven and cool slightly before covering with frosting.
- Prepare the frosting: Combine the brown sugar, cream and butter in a saucepan and bring to a hard boil for 1 minute. Add the vanilla and stir in enough powdered sugar until the mixture is spreadable (approx. 1 pound). Spread on top of the cooled bars. Let the frosting set before cutting (you may with to refrigerate the bars until slightly firm for neater cutting).
- You may double the frosting recipe if you desire more frosting.