Yield: 1 (8-inch) cake
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Chocolate Ganache Cake
This is a chocolate-lovers dessert! VERY chocolatey... it's delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream too.
1/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar
4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 (16 ounce) can Hershey's chocolate syrup
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix in chocolate syrup and vanilla. Add flour and mix until just combined. Don't over-beat, or the cake will be tough.
3. Pour batter into pan and bake 40-45 minutes, or until just set in the middle. Don't over-bake! Let cool thoroughly in the pan.
4. For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and instant coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
5. Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour the glaze evenly over the top, making sure to cover the entire cake and sides. You can tilt the rack to smooth the glaze. Do not refrigerate.
*This cake can be easily converted to bite-sized cupcakes or larger wedding cakes.
*You can prepare the cake portion up to a week in advance. Wrap it tightly with plastic and refrigerate. Glaze it the day you serve it.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Parties! )