Chicken and shrimp are great together. I like to call this dinner recipe Deluxe Chicken and Shrimp.
This dinner recipe can be considered as total comfort food. The sauce is rich and creamy- it’s not light! And it’s all well worth it. Served over rice, this is one of my favorite things to have for dinner.
There is a story behind this recipe. Back in college- when I was young and in love for the first time- I began to experiment with cooking for my college boyfriend. This was the first big-time dinner I made him. I got the recipe from a tiny chicken cookbook that my Mom had put in my Christmas stocking one year. It sounded good to me, so I set out to make a dinner that would impress my love.
He was impressed! We both loved this dinner so much. I’ve kept the recipe all these years. But I got rid of the boyfriend, of course.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Deluxe Chicken and Shrimp
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups half and half cream
- 2/3 cup dry sherry
- 6 teaspoons chicken bouillon (crushed into granules), divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme or tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed, cooked chicken
- 24 large raw shrimp, rinsed, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- hot, cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté the onion in butter and oil for 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour and paprika over onions. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stirring, add half and half, sherry, 3 teaspoons bouillon, thyme, salt and pepper. Continue to stir and bring to a boil. Boil until slightly thickened. Add chicken and reduce heat to low.
- In a large bowl toss the mushrooms with the lemon juice.
- Add the mushrooms to the chicken mixture. Simmer over low heat until the mushrooms are softened and heated through, about 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and 3 teaspoons bouillon to boil. Add the shrimp and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 to 3 minutes; drain. Stir the shrimp into the hot chicken mixture and serve over rice.
- If preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, be sure to use bouillon that is GF, and do not use the flour- instead use either GF flour or cornstarch to thicken.
Here are a few more chicken and shrimp recipes you might enjoy:
- Chicken and Shrimp Paella by Iowa Girl Eats
- Chicken and Shrimp Won Tons by Recipe Girl
- Thai Coconut Chicken and Shrimp Soup by Rasa Malaysia
- Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo by Saving Room for Dessert
Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole with Peas, Carrots, and Cheddar Next Post »