posted in Cinco de Mayo

Cauliflower Tortillas

This recipe may come as a shock to you, but today I’m going to show you how to make tortillas out of cauliflower… yes > CAULIFLOWER TORTILLAS.

Watch the quick, how-to video near the recipe at the end of this post, then print out the complete recipe.

Cauliflower Tortillas recipe - by RecipeGirl.com

Don’t be scared.  They sound strange, I know.  The funny thing is that they are both strange and wonderful.  They won’t taste like your typical corn or flour tortilla at all.  They’re a simple substitute for using grains, and they totally work.

Slim Palate Paleo Cookbook

The recipe (with a couple of small changes) comes from Joshua Weissman’s new book:  The Slim Palate Paleo Cookbook.

I’m not on the Paleo diet, and if you’re reading my blog, you’re probably not either, but you don’t have to be eating Paleo to enjoy this recipe or indulge in reading this cookbook.  There is a lot to this cookbook that cookbook lovers will embrace.

First of all, it was written by a (then) 17-year old who was in the midst of making healthy changes to his life (see photos below).  Joshua decided to take charge and incorporate real food into his life (no grain, gluten or refined sugar), and in the process of doing that, he lost 100 pounds and wrote a cookbook.

I don’t “treasure” cookbooks all that often, but I am truly in love with this one.  I’ve been reading it like a novel, and it’s so impressive and inspiring to know that it was written by such a young person who is intelligent beyond his years.

The book contains recipes for all meals of the day.  Those recipes on my list to try very soon are: Bacon and Caramelized Shallot Quiche, Grilled Coconut- Basil Chicken, Sweet Rosemary Meatballs, Sea Bass with Fennel and Tomato, Egg Drop Soup, Indian Cauliflower Couscous, Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Mushrooms, Salted Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Fudge, Pumpkin Blondies, and Strawberry- Toasted Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.  YUM, right??  There is a big, beautiful photograph for every single recipe- and all of the photographs were taken by the talented Mr. Weissman.

Slim Palate Before After Pic

Here’s Joshua- before and after beginning his journey into eating a Paleo-based diet.   I had a few questions for the author:

Losing all of that weight as a teenager is really impressive.  How did you manage to get through it all with the temptations that a teenager is exposed to?

• It was an incredible challenge at first but eventually none of it was as appealing to me as reaching my goal.

What are your top 5 favorite recipes in the book?

• The pork chops with lemon and sage, lamb vindaloo, braised morrocan chicken, seared brussels sprouts, and the halibut with creamed leeks.

I’ve often thought that a Paleo diet is something I could really follow and embrace… until I start thinking about bread and desserts and cheese and wine.  Don’t you miss all of those things (except for wine, of course)?  Do you ever take a day off and indulge on chips and candy?

• Well here’s the thing. I believe that Paleo is more of a template for finding what works for YOU! I actually downplay Paleo quite a bit in the book because of that belief. It works wonders as a basis for people to start at for a while and then slowly reincorporate certain real foods like dairy, white rice, etc. and see how they feel. I personally eat white rice, white potatoes, and dairy because it works for me. Paleo really has evolved (no pun intended) since it’s earlier years. As for your specific question about chips and candy I simply choose whole natural food sources of these things when the hankering strikes. I prefer to make these treats myself which in turn causes me to eat them far less because of all the work that goes into making them (that’s how it used to be!). Not to mention I just found a potato chip company that makes organic potato chips with nothing but organic potatoes, organic coconut oil, and sea salt. That definitely fits the bill to me, although even those I would limit, but I’m fairly sure anyone that has any sort of consciousness of healthful eating would limit an intake of this. Really it’s not all as crazy as you think. Lastly, no, I do not miss bread at all. If I get the hankering for bread which still hasn’t happened lately then I will eat a gluten free bread, but until that happens I think I will be just fine. It’s about eating for happiness and maximum healthfulness not living in constant depression because of all the things you “can’t” eat. This means finding what works for you, as mentioned before.

You have such a bright future ahead of you!  What will you do next?  College?  A career in food?

• I do plan on going to college although once I graduate high school I plan on taking a year off and going to college the year after. During this year I will be going to Europe and will essentially be living in Europe with a Euro Rail pass, back packing my way around and learning about life, foreign cuisines, etc, for 3-6 months. I believe this will shed more light on what I want to do than going to college.

Cauliflower Tortillas recipe - by RecipeGirl.com
Now that you know a little more about the author, I think you’ll appreciate this recipe even more.  It begins with cauliflower that has been obliterated into cous-cous-like granules in the food processor.  Once it’s in this state, a short stint in the microwave softens it up.

Cauliflower Tortillas recipe - by RecipeGirl.com

When cauliflower is cooked, the moisture comes out in full force.  Wrapped in cheesecloth or a thin dishtowel, you can gently squeeze out the moisture.

Cauliflower Tortillas recipe - by RecipeGirl.com

Cauliflower is mixed with egg, salt and pepper (I added fresh cilantro and lime juice).

Cauliflower Tortillas recipe - by RecipeGirl.com

This mixture is shaped into “tortillas” and baked- first on one side and then on the other.

Cauliflower Tortillas recipe - by RecipeGirl.com

Then they’re placed on a rack for a bit of cooling.

Cauliflower Tortillas recipe - by RecipeGirl.com

The final quick step in the recipe is tossing them in a heating skillet for a little browning and crisping on each side.

Cauliflower Tortillas recipe - by RecipeGirl.com

That’s it!  I enjoy these straight out of the pan for eating.  I also enjoy them with a little cheese melted on top like a quesadilla.  They’re also good in the morning with a scrambled egg and eaten like a taco.

They are pliable to bend and fill with a small amount of filling for tacos, but they are most certainly perfect to eat all by themselves too.  Can you taste the cauliflower?  I’d say, yes.  If you’ve ever sampled the cauliflower pizza crust, you’ll most likely also be a fan of the “tortillas.”  Try them, and let me know what you think.

And in the meantime, be sure to check out The Slim Palate Paleo Cookbook– this is sure to be one of many for this talented young man. You may also visit Joshua on his blog- SlimPalate.com.

Click below to watch a short video showing you how to make these Cauliflower Tortillas, then scroll to the bottom and print out the complete recipe.

Yield: 6 small tortillas

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Cauliflower Tortillas

Ingredients:

• 3/4 head cauliflower
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • juice from 1/2 lime (add the zest too if you want more of a lime flavor)
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Trim the cauliflower, cut it into small, uniform pieces, and pulse in a food processor in batches until you get a couscous-like consistency. The finely riced cauliflower should make about 2 cups packed.
  3. Place the cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes, then stir and microwave again for another 2 minutes. Place the cauliflower in a fine cheesecloth or thin dishtowel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible, being careful not to burn yourself. Dishwashing gloves are suggested as it is very hot.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Add in cauliflower, cilantro, lime, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Use your hands to shape 6 small "tortillas" on the parchment paper.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes, carefully flip each tortilla, and return to the oven for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until completely set. Place tortillas on a wire rack to cool slightly.
  6. Heat a medium-sized skillet on medium. Place a baked tortilla in the pan, pressing down slightly, and brown for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Tips:

• You can munch these by themselves, make quesadillas with them, or add some taco filling and fold it like a taco.
  • Nutritional Information per serving (using 1/8th teaspoon salt and pepper) -Serving size: 1 tortilla- Calories: 42.9, Fat: 1.8g, Saturated Fat: .6g, Sugar: .1g, Sodium: 95.7mg, Fiber: 1.8g, Protein: 3.6g, Cholesterol: 62mg, Carbohydrates: 4.2g
  • Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 1, Points Plus: 1, Old Points Program: 1
SOURCE:  RecipeGirl.com (lightly adapted with permission from The Slim Palate Cookbook by Joshua Weissman- Copyright 2014, Victory Belt Publishing, Inc.)

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this cookbook for review. All opinions shared are my own. Amazon affiliate links are included within this post.

Here are a few more recipes using cauliflower that you might enjoy:

210 Responses to “Cauliflower Tortillas”

1. postedApr 18, 2016 3:42 PM
    Judy

Gee, sure would be able to FIND this recipe!  Plenty of comments, ect….but where is the recipe??????

• postedApr 19, 2016 1:39 PM

Can you not see the recipe following the last photo?

2. postedApr 21, 2016 5:08 PM
    Rob

Just made these. Tasted pretty good, but they definitely didn’t look like tortillas in the end XD

3. postedMay 12, 2016 5:38 AM
    Susan

Not worth the effort.

4. postedMay 25, 2016 9:15 AM

I can’t wait to make these, such a great idea!

5. postedJun 12, 2016 5:22 AM
    Marios

Can’t see the recipe. Wasted 10 mins trying to, shame n waste Of my time. B more careful next time to post right . Accessing from my iPhone

• postedJun 14, 2016 7:32 PM

Recipes are always at the bottom of the post. Sorry you had trouble…

6. postedJul 9, 2016 5:13 PM
    Holly

I followed the recipe exactly. I even went out and bought cheesecloth just for this, and I squeezed out as much moisture as I could. They were pretty sloppy (like mashed potatoes) when I went to make my “tortillas”. But what was super frustrating was they completely crumbled when I went to flip them halfway through baking. So disappointed. Where did I go wrong??

• postedJul 11, 2016 7:02 AM

Gosh, I’m not sure… the mixture should be fairly dry (not like mashed potatoes). My guess is that it sounds like you had too much liquid and not enough cauliflower.

7. postedJul 14, 2016 3:19 PM
    Cheryl

I finally made these for my husband and he loves them, preferring them to traditional (and other not so traditional ) tortillas.  I really wanted to try one, but next time.  He’s diabetes 2 and neither I nor my children are.  So another time we’ll all get to try them.

I had my cooked cauliflower in my freezer, so just defrosted and then squeezed the liquid through a clean cotton bandana.  (Can you say, “cold hands!”?)  I also was out of parchment paper, so used a different type and really had to be gentle removing it. I have lots of this baking paper and perhaps I will oil it for the initial 10 minutes.  I just flipped the tortillas attached onto another piece, which didn’t stick.

Anyway, thanks so much for posting the recipe!  We’ve already passed it onto my husband’s co-worker.

8. postedJul 14, 2016 3:22 PM
    Cheryl

Also, a bit thicker was better than larger and super thin! Thin tore small holes just a bit and thicker held up better as a tortilla.

And they so looked like tortillas! XD

9. postedSep 3, 2016 1:24 AM
    Emilee

I just tried this for dinner, and it was a complete disaster. Once I mixed everything together, it was like soup. There definitely wasn’t need for the “form tortillas with your hands” stage. Could you be more specific about how much cauliflower to use? Like measure it by cups after it’s turned into “rice” maybe? I think that’s where I went wrong. Maybe the one I bought was too small or something.

• postedSep 3, 2016 5:30 AM

Yes, definitely not enough cauliflower. In step 2 of the recipe, it states “The finely riced cauliflower should make about 2 cups packed.”

10. postedSep 13, 2016 10:30 AM
    Kim Carscadden

just tried these and i added the egg slowly until the mixture came to a consistency I thought looked good. It didn’t take all of the egg mixture but my cauliflower wasn’t very big. They came out great. Just finished frying them and to try one right away i spooned a bit of hummus on it for a snack and it was great 🙂 Great way to save some calories …

• postedSep 13, 2016 6:39 PM

Excellent- glad to hear!

11. postedOct 9, 2016 12:35 PM
    AnI Ashpa

What if you don’t have a microwave?

• postedOct 11, 2016 6:50 AM

You can probably just steam the cauliflower (if you scroll through the comments, you might see that others have done that), but you need to make sure that you squeeze out all of the liquid for sure.

12. postedOct 13, 2016 10:56 AM

Okay so I’ve tried these twice and both times they just fell apart. They don’t look at all like the ones in your video. The 2nd time I added a little almond flour and that helped a bit. But what am I doing wrong? I followed your recipe to the letter!

• postedOct 13, 2016 1:13 PM

Oh gosh, I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble. It’s really difficult to pinpoint what is going wrong since I’m not there to help. Too moist? Too dry? Probably has something to do with that.

13. postedOct 16, 2016 2:20 AM

These are actually really good. Have never been a veggie person but trying new things as I need to lose weight and I’m finding I actually quite like cauliflower. It’s definitely very versatile! People please read the comments before posting though – it must be so annoying for Lori to have to answer the same question about egg substitutes over and over again. Google is your friend! And just try things. A recipe is only a guide – you can always test substitutes and see what works for you.

• postedOct 23, 2016 7:56 AM

haha, thanks John!

14. postedOct 19, 2016 8:58 AM
    Lynda

What a waste of time! So much effort for something that ends up tasting like, well, cauliflower! And doesn’t hold together. I ended up with crumbled cauliflower that had been through so many steps that it probably had no nutrients left in it. Save yourself hours of time: steam the cauliflower and serve with a cilantro sauce – quicker, tastier, more nutritious!

• postedOct 23, 2016 7:42 AM

Sorry you had trouble. They’re a little tricky, but you can see from the comments that there are many who have enjoyed them.

15. postedOct 28, 2016 12:24 PM
    Kathy

I can’t find the recipe. I scrolled through all of the comments. I love cauliflower crust pizza so this sound3d good

• postedNov 1, 2016 5:24 PM

Just scroll to the bottom. The recipe is above the comments.

16. postedNov 8, 2016 9:27 AM
    V

do you have by any chance an egg free version of this recipe? daughter is on gluten free dairy free egg free diet and very hard to accommodate ;/

• postedNov 8, 2016 7:16 PM

I do not, but you can certainly Google around for some substitutes for egg and those will likely work!

17. postedNov 19, 2016 4:06 PM
    Dana

FYI, potatoes are Paleo. White, sweet, doesn’t matter, because they’re tubers and hunter-gatherers eat tubers if they can find them. The reason a lot of folks avoid white potatoes when they go Paleo is because the stuff spikes your blood sugar with not enough nutritional payout to justify it. They tend to prefer sweet potatoes for that reason.

Rice isn’t Paleo. There are some carb holdouts in the Paleo community who insist that it is but if we agree that the Paleolithic era was a hunter-gatherer era then no one was sitting still long enough to tend a rice paddy. Some people may tolerate it–and, I’ve learned, never underestimate a human being’s power to BS themselves–but that doesn’t make it Paleo. You just have to decide whether you are OK with being 80/20 Paleo with foods like this. A lot of people are. But some people can’t get away with it, so be fearlessly honest with yourself either way. There is still LOTS of food out there for you to eat even if you never touch birdseed again.

There are people who argue (as with the Perfect Diet folks) that you “need” rice because you “need” carbs to make mucus or some crap like that. But you can get carbs with tubers. There’s no need to eat grain. Ever. I would argue there’s no need for large amounts of starch in the diet either, especially if you already have hyperinsulinism, but the point is that there are lots of ways to get carbs if you really insist on it.

Dairy isn’t Paleo either. But there is more benefit to eating dairy fat if you tolerate it than there is to eating rice. If you’re not eating animal organs then dairyfat gives you some of the vitamins you would necessarily be missing from your diet. A cow or goat properly grass-fed is going to pass on omega-3s to you in their fat as well. Bonus, those omega-3s are more stable because they’re protected by saturated fat. Try *that* with salmon.

And finally, Paleo is evolving all the time. If you’re willing to put some work into it, there are very good cookbooks for Paleo baking now. Have a look around and see.

18. postedJan 2, 2017 5:20 AM
    PG

I don’t eat eggs; what can be the other substitute for making these tortillas?

• postedJan 7, 2017 6:54 AM

I haven’t made them without eggs, but if you read through the comments you will likely find others who subbed something for the eggs.

19. postedJan 6, 2017 2:19 PM
    Earlene Leonard

Do you have any recipes for a person with kidney disease

• postedJan 7, 2017 6:43 AM

I don’t specialize in that- no…

20. postedJan 11, 2017 2:09 PM
    Dudley

My girlfriend and I made these today and I have to admit that I was a little on the fence about them, but after trying them I am a huge fan! I’ve noticed comments about these shells being watery or not malleable, but the key really is to make sure they are drained well when you come to the cheesecloth step. Thanks for the recipe!! 🙂

• postedJan 12, 2017 6:04 AM

You’re welcome!

21. postedJan 15, 2017 6:49 PM
    Heather

Always wanted to try these and I did! I needed to put more seasoning. I think next time I will try green onions, garlic salt and a little chili. Otherwise good texture.

22. postedJan 19, 2017 3:19 PM
    melissa

These turned out just perfect. I was hungry tonight so I just put siracha on them and ate them, YUM! Tomorrow for breakfast I will add an avocado and cracked pepper. I will be making these again. My 3 & 4 year old love them.

• postedJan 20, 2017 4:55 PM

Happy to hear- that sounds great!

23. postedJan 23, 2017 12:01 PM
    Kara

I made these for dinner last night. They turned out great. Thanks for the great instructions. No guess work. I can’t wait to make them again. It’s such a perfect base to add a variety of different seasonings to for different fillings. Thanks again!

24. postedJan 26, 2017 5:37 PM
    Joshua D Reynolds

Are these able to be frozen and microwaved?

• postedFeb 3, 2017 5:15 AM

I haven’t tried freezing them.

25. postedJan 30, 2017 4:43 AM
    Mane

Hello,
    I am going on vegan diet, how can I replace the eggs in this recipe?
    Thank you.

• postedFeb 3, 2017 5:08 AM

If you read through the comments, you may find that others have substituted the egg for something else. Is there a sub that you usually use for other recipes?

26. postedFeb 7, 2017 7:13 PM
    Marghi McKeon

I am shaking my head. You have the patience of Job. People, read the comments. If you don’t have a microwave, steam but get ALL the liquid out. One person said try putting the cauliflower through a juicer first. If you are vegan for some odd reason, use flax eggs. I will be trying these.

27. postedFeb 13, 2017 10:58 AM
    Shad

I made these but I followed a different recipe. I made them twice in the first time didn’t come out so good. But the second time they came out perfect. The recipe that I followed was a little different. Here’s what I did instead of what she did
    One whole cauliflower and just a quarter cup of egg whites.
    No lime juice. You do want them kind of mashed potato like.
    But the key is to really get all the moisture out of the cauliflower.
    Don’t be surprised on how hot the cauliflower gets it retains tons of heat. I used a cheesecloth the first time. But felt like the cheesecloth would expand too much for me to draw the water out. The second time work much better I use a common everyday towel. The towel was more absorbent allowed me to get a much better grip on a cauliflower. You Really Got A Squeeze that cauliflower tight in a a towel. Then I want to bake Them 10 minutes the first time flipped them at 8 minutes.
    Go on you tube and search buff dudes cauliflower taco shells

28. postedFeb 20, 2017 4:17 AM

Better late than never!  Only just found this recipe and have just made the tortillas.  They’re amazing!  I made 6 x 5″ ones.  The mix was too soft to shape with hands but a scoop full onto the parchment and spread out with fingers worked brilliantly.  Surprised how easily they flipped over.  Reheated them in the skillet just before use.  Thank you for the recipe.

29. postedFeb 28, 2017 9:25 PM
    Barb

Just tried to cook these, what I thought would be a wonderful dinner they fell apart, no taste, just very disappointed please help… What did I do wrong… I followed the receipt to the letter

• postedMar 1, 2017 9:13 AM

I’m sorry you had trouble… it’s hard to pinpoint. Read through the comments for others suggestions, perhaps?

30. postedMar 17, 2017 8:33 AM
    Susy

I tried to make the tortillas last night and I had a hard time making the shape. I finally press on the tray until they resemble somehow a tortilla. with that process they got stuck to the tray and than made it really hard to flip over. it will be nice if you show how you actually made the shape. I know how to make regular corn tortillas so I assumed this will be easy. I want to try again as I do miss making tacos, help!

• postedMar 17, 2017 9:07 AM

Hi Susy- I just patted them into a round with my hands. It helps if your hands are wet or if you spray them with cooking spray.

31. postedApr 7, 2017 3:34 PM
    JB

If eating healthy is your goal do NOT microwave anything! It changes the molecular structure and wrecks the nutrition bioavailbility.  You can steam the cauliflower for 5 minutes over boiling water.  I was wondering if they can be made bigger and still hold their form….

32. postedApr 20, 2017 6:06 PM
    Patricia Stertz

IS THERE A STEP MISSING . HOW DO U MAKE THE TORTILLAS

• postedApr 21, 2017 3:36 PM

Have you scrolled to the bottom of the post? That’s where the recipe is- with complete instructions.

33. postedApr 21, 2017 4:32 PM
    dr dr

i’d like to know
    – how long do they last in the frige? is it better to cook & store completed or form/store then cook just before eating?
    – if they really need both baking & pan frying. wouldn’t they get crisp by baking longer or a couple minutes under the broiler?
    – what alternatives are there to the lime/cilantro palate? maybe cinnamon, garlic, cheese, what else ya got?

• postedApr 25, 2017 6:24 AM

I’d say a couple of days in the fridge, and I’d store them already cooked and just re-heat as needed. You’ll have to experiment with the broiler and other flavors!

34. postedMay 2, 2017 8:07 PM
    Erin

Recently working into a low card diet and tried these tonight for carne asada tacos. Though the flavor was amazing, unfortunately they turned into taco bowls as mine never set and crumbled starting on first turn in the oven with it only going down hill from there. Followed the recipe to the tee. Any tips to make these like actual tortillas?

• postedMay 4, 2017 8:50 AM

Try again! They do work… may be just takes some practice. Might be helpful to read through the comments to see what others have suggested.

35. postedMay 23, 2017 12:55 PM
    Laura

How well do these freeze?

• postedMay 24, 2017 6:55 PM

I have not tried freezing them.

36. postedJun 5, 2017 4:54 AM
    Callandra

This was so great! It’s quite a lot of work, I skipped drying the Cauliflower with a tea-towel which could be why they fell apart quite easily but totally worth the result and the slimmer waistline!

37. postedJun 26, 2017 5:07 PM
    Diane Akins

I have had this recipe for quite some time. Finally made them…..twice! They came out perfect both times and they are delicious! My husband doesn’t like cauliflower so, more for me???? The key is definitely getting out all the water. Thank you for sharing?

38. postedJul 2, 2017 5:42 PM
    Laura Powell

Made these tonight using 2 bags of the frozen Green Giant riced cauliflower.  Cooked chicken thighs on my stove griddle and then threw the patties onto the griddle afterwards for the final browning. The extra flavor of the chicken grease made them super flavorful!

39. postedJul 17, 2017 6:41 AM
    Lori Snyder

Looking forward to trying this recipe. Might I make a suggestion? After reading all of the comments, perhaps making a notation in the recipe in regards to some of the frequently asked questions: steaming instead of microwaving, egg substitutes and freezing. Just a suggestion. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this with everyone. Big Love. 🙂

• postedJul 27, 2017 7:32 AM

I probably should do that!

40. postedJul 19, 2017 5:49 PM
    KC

The recipe looks very appetizing. What you recommend as an alternate option for someone who chooses not to use a microwave and doesn’t own one? Thanks!

• postedJul 27, 2017 7:29 AM

I believe that some people have tried steaming the cauliflower, but you’ll need to work hard to squeeze all of that moisture out!

41. postedAug 23, 2017 10:41 AM
    Denise

These were time consuming and utterly disgusting.  Don’t waste the time, effort or ingredients on this worthless recipe.

42. postedAug 25, 2017 7:49 AM
    Barbara Crompton

3/4 head of cauliflower isn’t really a very good measure. I normally live in Spain and 3/4 head of cauliflower there would be much more than some of the whole cauliflowers I’ve picked up in the UK. If all the recipes are this slack on measurements that would put me off the book. It isn’t really a recipe if you have to faff around trying to get it the measurements right.

43. postedOct 9, 2017 6:28 PM
    Amy T.

Goodness gracious these are delish! So worth the effort that goes into them. So good! 🙂

44. postedOct 20, 2017 8:42 PM
    KarolAnn Milam-Clopton

These look so yummy ?. Is there a substitute for putting them in the microwave? I don’t use one. I have a mini convection oven? Will that work?

• postedOct 24, 2017 10:00 AM

You could probably steam the cauliflower, but since that draws a lot of moisture– make sure you really squeeze the moisture out of it.