Truly the best sauce to add to your burgers: Best Burger Sauce Recipe. Click below to watch a short video showing you how to make this recipe. Scroll to the end of this post to print the complete recipe.
It has been 3 years since my cookbook- The Recipe Girl Cookbook– was published, and I’m still picking it up and making the recipes. Since I packed the book full of 195 of my favorites, my family has things that they request again and again.
This Best Burger Sauce Recipe is one of them. There’s a big story behind it…
When I was 15, I talked my way into a job at a little mom and pop ice cream and fast food shack called The Penguin. It was one of those places where you stop when you’re driving through a small town on a long road trip, flashing frostie sign luring you in. It was also a place that was very popular with the locals. The malts, dipped cones, and finger-sized French fries were among the favorite menu items. But the burgers were what kept people coming back.
The Penguin Burger was by far the best burger the town of Carson City, Nevada has ever seen. I grilled up my share of Penguin Burgers working there as a young high school student, and I topped them all with a secret, special sauce that made them so delicious.
The Penguin was torn down several years ago to make room for a gas station conglomerate, but my Penguin Burgers’ special sauce recipe is a nod to what those burgers were all about. The full recipe for Penguin Burgers is in my cookbook, but I’m sharing the special sauce with you today so you can add it to your own burgers!
Yield: Enough sauce for 4 burgers
Prep Time: 6 minutes
Best Burger Sauce Ever
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- dash of freshly ground black pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients. If you tend to like a sweeter sauce, add 1 full teaspoon of sugar. Add 1/2 teaspoon to cut the sweetness.
- Refrigerate the sauce until your burgers are ready to assemble. This may be may up to 1 day ahead.
Here are a few more burger-themed recipes you might enjoy:
- Bread and Butter Pickles by RecipeGirl
- Refrigerator Kosher Dill Pickles by Lana’s Cooking
- Homemade Ketchup by What’s Gaby Cooking
- Caramelized Onions by Cookin’ Canuck
- The Best Garlic Burgers Ever by FoodieCrush
Disclosure: This post contains an Amazon affiliate link to my cookbook. If you purchase my cookbook through that link, I get a few pennies of commission. Thank you 🙂