Banana & Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies

This post may contain affiliate links.

Have you ever tried to make banana cookies? Those wonderful, ripe bananas with their sweet, majestical flavor… unfortunately turn a cookie into something that is more reminiscent of banana bread than a cookie. It’s tough to create a banana cookie recipe that is a good, solid cookie. Martha Martha’s staff did it though in her Martha Stewart’s Cookies book.

They created a banana cookie recipe that I only messed with slightly: Banana- Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies. They contain both regular flour and wheat flour, as well as oats, and only a cup of mashed banana. Maybe it’s the chunks that help… the chunks of lightly toasted walnut and chocolate chips, but this cookie is more like a cookie than any banana variety that I’ve had before.

Sure, you can see some cake-like texture in there. It’s not a crunchy cookie by any means. I found it to be a cookie on the softer (but not cakey), sort of ‘medium-firm’ side of things.

As far as the flavor, they’re definitely a chocolate chip cookie with a hint of banana in them… not overwhelmingly banana.  They froze well too. I stuck them in individual zip bags and threw them in the freezer for my kiddo’s lunch.  Taste testers of this recipe gave it a huge thumbs up.

Next time you have a couple of bananas going south on your countertop, mash ’em up and make some cookies with them instead of the ubiquitous banana bread. Leave out the walnuts if you’re not a nut family.

This recipe can be found here: Banana- Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Other Banana cookies on the blogs that you may wish to check out:
Gluten Free Banana Cookies by Gluten-Free Goddess
Banana Oatmeal Cookies by Genesis of a Cook
Banana- Maple Oatmeal Cookies by Fat-Free Vegan Kitchen
Peanut Butter- Banana Oatmeal Cookies by Baking Bites
Banana- White Chocolate Toffee Cookies by Playing House

Lori Lange of Recipe Girl

Meet The Author: Lori Lange

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• JRo wrote:

I am making these right now and the aroma is fantastic. Nearly ate the banana batter by itself!

• Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) wrote:

I’ve been looking for a banana cookie that isn’t like banana bread!! Thanks, it sure looks delicious!

• Joan wrote:

Excellent cookie and it is a keeper!

• Karina wrote:

I love the look of these cookies! Such lovely bumps and texture. I’m going to try your version, gluten-free. These look absolutely brilliant.

• Mary wrote:

YUM! Love banana anything but never tried it in a cookie! Will do so soon! Bookmarked 🙂

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

• Barbara wrote:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cookie recipe with bananas in it! What a super idea. They would be so moist and paired with crunchy walnuts, delish!

• shannon abdollmohamm wrote:

Very nice…would go great with a hot cup of espresso!!!!

• Charles G Thompson wrote:

Those look AMAZINGLY good! Will be trying them very soon.

• Amy (Sing For Your Supper) wrote:

I always have that problem whenever I try to make banana cookies- way too soft and not cookie-like at all! I actually have the Martha Stewart Cookies cookbook- I may need to test these out; yours look fabulous!!

• cookiepie wrote:

Ooooh – I always have bananas in the freezer, and I’m kind of banana breaded out. This is the perfect recipe to use them up! Thanks for sharing!

• Katrina wrote:

I’ve now got them baking in the oven. I was asked to bring goodies to something that have whole grains in them–whole wheat flour, oats–I decided to use up some of the bananas. Thanks for the reminder! Yours look great, Lori.

• Katrina wrote:

I have made those before, too! A really great banana cookie, I agree. I’ve got like 8 overripe bananas right now!

• Amanda wrote:

They sound good, thanks for the other links too 🙂

• Gera @ SweetsFoods wrote:

This recipe has all the ingredients I love in a cookie: chocolate, walnut and banana, what a great combination – nice way to start a week 🙂

Have a great week!

Gera

• RecipeGirl’s Mom wrote:

These look like my kind of cookie. Yum.

Great pictures too!

• patsyk wrote:

I’ve never made banana cookies, although I have a few marked to try… this one may go to the top of the pile next time I have some bananas hanging around! Yum!

• Maria wrote:

I made banana oatmeal cookies last week-still need to post them. Banana cookies are a great way to use up brown bananas. Will try these next time. Thanks Lori!

• Heather (Heather’s Dish) wrote:

you had me at non-cakey…i love the flavor of banana chocolate chip cookies, but i like a real cookie bite to them. these sound wonderful!

• Lynn wrote:

Terrific cookies! I love sneaking a banana into a cookie for extra moisture. Plus it makes the cookie seem so much healthier. 😉

• Sonia wrote:

Hey, this is beautiful cookies!! I love walnuts in any form. Will gonna to try this for sure. I’ve everything except walnuts.
    But, I’m little skeptical about bananayish taste as I’m not big fan of banana in baking stuffs. Does banana overpower the taste of cookies? Please let me know. Thanks. 🙂