Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake is a delicious and easy summery dessert.
We stayed in a lovely beach house on the Massachusetts coast a couple of weeks ago. It’s a place we go every summer, and we enjoy it so much. It’s something we look forward to all year long. Everyone should have something like that!
I’m always amazed by the blueberries that I am able to find in Massachusetts. They’re infinitely more perfect and plump than anything I can ever find on the West coast. So I pretty much go blueberry-crazy whenever I’m in Massachusetts in the summer. I added some of those delightful blueberries to the infamous gooey butter cake to create a Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake. It was a very good idea, I must say!
I used a base recipe for Gooey Butter Cake (good all on its own). And I simply added a boatload of fresh blueberries on top. Yes, this recipe begins with a yellow cake mix from a box. Do I care? No, because sometimes I use the boxed mixes anyways. It’s a super good cake. And it’s a totally easy and impressive recipe to serve to guests. I did just that.
I served it to beach house neighbor guests who we hosted for dinner. They ate every last bite of this dessert, and I heard lots of Mmmm’s and Ahhh’s. I’d say it was a hit. And no one suspected it began with a boxed cake mix!
So be inspired to try out this dessert sometime this summer, especially if you can find a couple of handfuls of wonderful, fresh, plump blueberries!
Here are a few more fruit-themed cake recipes you might enjoy:
- Strawberry Layer Cake with Cheesecake Frosting
- Fresh Peach Cake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cake
- Easy Blackberry Pound Cake
- Lemon and Blueberry Upside Down Cake
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cake
Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake
- One 15.25-ounce box yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (divided), melt each stick in a separate bowl
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- 1½ to 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cake mix, 1 egg and 1 stick of melted butter until well combined. Pat the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add 2 eggs, vanilla and remaining 1 stick of butter (melted) and beat to combine. Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spoon this mixture over the cake batter and use the spoon to spread to create an even layer. Sprinkle the fresh blueberries on top. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes- just until the cake seems set but is a little gooey in the center.