Grilled Fig Bruschetta with Gorgonzola and Honey

This post may contain affiliate links.

Figs. I really hated them as a child. My lovely Swedish grandmother often baked fig-filled cookies that were frankly just plain icky, and as a result, I grew up with a severe dislike for figs.
figbruschetta1
I’ve been slightly more adventurous as an adult. I made a chicken dish with figs last year that I fell madly in love with. I churned up fresh fig ice cream this summer that was absolutely dreamy. And I’ve even taken to slicing fresh figs in half and popping them into my mouth, savoring the sweetness and texture that figs tend to bring.
figbruschetta2
I had just a handful of these gorgeous, delicious wonders (picked up at Specialty Produce) to create something with one recent summer eve. Since we were grilling up some other things for dinner, I decided to throw the figs on the grill too.
figbruschetta3
Drizzled with a little bit of olive oil, I grilled them just until they were soft and then slid them onto a cutting board and chopped them up. I sliced a baguette and grilled some bread slices too.figbruschetta4
The grilled bread was topped with a spoonful of grilled, chopped figs, a sprinkle of gorgonzola and a drizzle of honey.
figbruschetta5
This turned out to be one delicious fig experiment.  My 8 year old gobbled these up as eagerly as my husband and I did.   The bruschetta were a nice prelude to a light dinner of grilled fish and watermelon salad.  Perfect for summer.

I’m delighted that it appears my child is growing up with an appreciation for figs instead of harboring hatred for this underappreciated fruit. Perhaps one day he’ll be able to tell a story on his food blog about how his mother did fabulous things with figs.  I’d sure prefer that over the alternative… a story about how I made him eat icky cookies.  I guess I’ll have to try baking up some figgy cookies to see if I can shake this icky-fig-cookie-feeling once and for all.

This recipe (not icky) can be found here: Grilled Fig Bruschetta

——————————————
Other delicious fig recipes on the blogs:
The Leftover Queen:  Fig & Sage Grilled Pizza
Closet CookingFig & Brie Panini w/ Prosciutto
80 BreakfastsFig & Honey Cookies
Eating Out LoudCinnamon Fig Jam
Fat Free Vegan KitchenSkinny Fig Bars

You Might Also Like...
Lori Lange of Recipe Girl

Meet The Author: Lori Lange

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• Shirleygfe wrote:

I always avoided figs until my friend made prosciutto-wrapped figs for our girlfriends’ dinner just a week ago and then I fell in love! This recipe looks great … just need to get a gluten-free baguette for it.

Thanks for stopping by gfe today to comment on one of your ice cream recipes adapted twice over! I see some more great looking ice cream recipes here. 🙂

Thanks!
    Shirley

• Cathy – wheresmydamnanswer wrote:

WOW looks so amazing.. Love figs and cannot wait to try this!

• pigpigscorner wrote:

oooo…yum! I love figs, I like eating them with some ham and blue cheese…

• Kerstin wrote:

What a tasty little appetizer, I only recently learned I like fresh figs too!

• Elizabeth wrote:

I just posted a fig pizza recipe on Guilty Kitchen. http://guiltykitchen.com/?p=367

Also it is the secret ingredient in this week’s Blogger Secret Ingredient Challenge.

I looooooove figs. I’m always looking for new ways to use them besides just shoving them in my mouth. So thanks!

• Phoo-D wrote:

These are beautiful. I wish I could get fresh figs here. I share your hatred for fig cookies- horrible and awful!

• LilSis wrote:

My parents had two huge fig trees in the back of their property in Texas and not one of us in the family liked them, so they gave them away in huge loads to friends.

What a great idea to grill them and to combine with gorgonzola on the baguette bread!

• justcooknyc wrote:

this looks really interesting, but why didn’t i know you could grill figs?

• southern hostess wrote:

I love figs paired with cheese. This looks so good, and what a great idea to grill the figs!

• Sam@BingeNYC wrote:

I am totally crazy for figs, especially paired with a nice bleu. This looks so fantastic. Yummy!

• Sophie wrote:

Lovely, lovely, lovely,..pure indulgence!!

A classic!

• Simply…Gluten-free wrote:

I never liked figs beacuse we always had dried ones, then one day I tasted a fresh one and I feel in love. Your photos are lovely!

• ingrid wrote:

If you’re referring to those fig newton type cookies I don’t like those either. I have though never eaten figs in anything else. I’m not certain how to pick fresh ones. I’ll have to ask my produce guy. Thanks for sharing your recipe as I do think this is a good one for us to break into figs with!
    ~ingrid

• Aimee wrote:

Oh my! Lovely! We adore fig in every form and I have yet to try grilled. Something to look forwards to, thank Lori!

• Nicole wrote:

That looks wonderful! I just bought figs for the first time and didn’t even think about grilling them. What a great idea. I had a recipe that required baking them, but yeesh, I’m really trying not to use the oven these days. Thanks for the great idea.

• Maria wrote:

My dad loves figs, I will have to make this for him when we go home to IL for Labor Day! Thanks Lori!

• Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen wrote:

This looks absolutely divine! I have never grilled figs – although I did grill the pizza they were on, but I don’t think that counts…I am going to need to do this recipe soon! Figs are on sale around here these days!

• Jennifer wrote:

This is truly a mouthwatering recipe. Toasty bread, salty gorgonzola, sweet honey and figs…very happy that you came round to share in fig adoration.

• dietwell wrote:

I have never tried anything like this before but it looks and sounds so good I have to give it a try

• Liz Brooks wrote:

I have never actually eaten a fig before! But I do use Brown Sugar and Fig body lotion from Bath & Body:)