This Kohlrabi and Apple Salad is tossed with a quick and simple, homemade creamy mustard dressing.
This is a great way to use kohlrabi. Kohlrabi’s bitter taste is cut with the sweet apples and a tangy dressing.
Kohlrabi and Apple Salad with Creamy Mustard Dressing
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grained mustard
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 2 bunches kohlrabi (about 2 pounds), bulbs peeled and shredded- discard leaves
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and shredded
- Set down two layers of paper towels. Place shredded kohlrabi on top of paper towels. Wrap up and squeeze out moisture. Place squeezed-dry kohlrabi and shredded apple together in a bowl and toss.
- In a bowl, whisk cream until it holds soft peaks; whisk in lemon juice, mustard, parsley, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over shredded mix, and toss to mix well. Serve.
- Try subbing sour cream or plain yogurt for the heavy whipping cream. You'll get a bit of different flavor, but you'll save on the fat calories.
- Add amount of dressing desired, to taste. You may wish to have it very creamy (using it all) or minimally dress it using just a portion of the dressing.
- Use box grater or food processor for shredding.