This Kohlrabi and Apple Salad is tossed with a quick and simple, homemade creamy mustard dressing.
This is a great way to use kohlrabi. Kohlrabi’s bitter taste is cut with the sweet apples and a tangy dressing.
Kohlrabi and Apple Salad
This salad is tossed with a creamy mustard dressing that adds just the right amount of zing!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 bunches (about 2 pounds) kohlrabi, bulbs peeled and shredded (discard leaves)
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and shredded
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grained mustard
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- ½ teaspoon granulated white sugar
- Set down two layers of paper towels. Place shredded kohlrabi on top of the paper towels. Wrap up and squeeze out the moisture. Place the squeezed-dry kohlrabi and shredded apple together in a bowl and toss.
- In another bowl, whisk the cream until it holds soft peaks; whisk in the lemon juice, mustard, parsley, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the shredded mix, and toss to mix well. Serve.
- Try subbing sour cream or plain yogurt for the heavy whipping cream. You'll get a bit of different flavor, but you'll save on the fat calories.
- Add amount of dressing desired, to taste. You may wish to have it very creamy (using it all) or minimally dress it using just a portion of the dressing.
- Use box grater or food processor for shredding.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 115kcal, Carbohydrates: 16g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Sodium: 51mg, Potassium: 482mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 418IU, Vitamin C: 76mg, Calcium: 44mg, Iron: 1mg
Very tasty! Nice and crisp and perfect for a barbecue. We used all the dressing, next time I will add more parsley and perhaps roasted almonds or hazelnuts.