Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 10 min
1 1/2 cups dry red wine (burgundy, rioja, etc)
1 Tablespoon fresh grated orange zest
1 teaspoon fresh grated lime zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tablespoons Cointreau or Grand Marnier
3 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 bottle liquid fruit pectin (Certo)
1. Combine all ingredients (except fruit pectin and wax) in the top of a double boiler. Stir over boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until all of the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add the fruit pectin. Stir for one minute.
2. Heat paraffin wax (easiest in double boiler).
3. This recipe makes enough to fill 4 (8 ounce) wine glasses, or other containers. Before filling the containers, warm them by rinsing them with very hot water, then dry and fill to within 1/2-inch of the top. Seal with a thin layer of melted paraffin.
4. Remove the remaining paraffin from heat and let cool a little. Then beat with an electric mixer or a whisk until foamy. Spoon foam over the thin layer of paraffin (you can sprinkle red or green sugar if it's a Christmas gift). Cool.
5. This will keep on the pantry shelf (or a cool, dark place) at least two months, or indefinitely in the refrigerator.
*Plan to serve with crackers, baguette, grapes and cheeses.