Spinach, Mushroom and Feta Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust

One of the things I truly miss on my healthy eating venture is pizza. I miss being able to order it up on a Friday night, eat piece after piece without much thought and gulp it down with a couple of beers. Oddly enough, that sounds rather gluttonous to me now… and rather unappetizing. If I were faced with an out-to-dinner pizza situation now-a-days, I’d likely opt for one slice with a side salad and perhaps a glass of wine.

I have, however, had luck in making healthier versions of pizza at home. Here’s the latest: Spinach, Mushroom and Feta Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust.pizza21

This pizza uses all fresh ingredients and no tomato sauce.  The crust uses a combination of whole wheat flour and all-purpose.  It’s a simple crust recipe that I’ve used for all of my pizza recipes for a couple of years now.
pizzapicnik-collage

Brush on olive oil and garlic.  Sprinkle w/ a little garlic salt.  Add a small handful of mozzarella and fresh spinach.  Top with additional veggies (flexible to what you want to use).  Top with feta/mozzarella and fresh basil.

I use  a pizza stone on which to bake my pizza.  If you don’t have a stone, you can use a cookie sheet instead.  I sprinkle cornmeal onto a cutting board, place the dough on top of the cornmeal, add my pizza toppings and then slide the pizza onto the heated stone (or sheet) when ready to bake.
pizza8

pizza9
I wouldn’t call this ‘diet pizza.’  It’s simply a way to make pizza- using fresh ingredients and not drenched in fatty cheese.  You should use part-skim mozzarella and low fat feta for optimal calorie savings.
pizza10
I cut the pizza into 6 good-sized slices and had one slice with a salad for dinner.  It felt wickedly good to eat pizza in the midst of eating healthy.  The pizza itself was excellent… didn’t miss the extra cheese at all.  This was one that the family thoroughly enjoyed, and even my little one gobbled a couple of slices (spinach and all)!

This pizza recipe can be found here:  Spinach Mushroom and Feta Pizza
The whole wheat pizza crust recipe can be found HERE.

Lori Lange of Recipe Girl

Meet The Author: Lori Lange

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• nina wrote:

It really is the only way this “lean thinking” can work for me….to make otherwise forbidden foods a little healthier by just making small changes eg. less cheese, wholewheat etc. Great looking pizza!

• Elyse wrote:

First of all, that pizza looks dee-li-cious! Secondly, I, like you, cannot give up my pizza. I love it; I crave it; I just can’t say no. So, I’ve accepted that I need pizza in my life and make sure to make room for the calories in my day when I know I’ll be having pizza (that, and I try to restain from myself from eating the entire pie 🙂 )!

• Aimee wrote:

Looks beautiful. I love thin crust and yours crisped up so nicely.

• Medena wrote:

Wow, that is one delicious pizza, and wheat crust, I actually prefer wheat, and I don’t like too much tomato sauce, so no sauce sounds great!!! Awesome!

• CARRIAN wrote:

This seriously looks amazing! We love homemade pizza!

• Laurie V wrote:

Those vegetables look wonderful! I’ll be eating my veggies without the crust for the next few months Lori.. I decided to take the diet plunge. The holiday’s and birthdays has done me in! 🙂

• sharon wrote:

We’re having pizza for dinner tonight! I’ve becoming obsessed with sausage & kale pizza.

Yours is tasty and nice and healthy!

• pigpigscorner wrote:

Looks delicious! I am trying to get my fiance to eat more whole wheat stuff. Will give this a try!

• 5 Star Foodie wrote:

What a great-looking and healthy pizza!

• Emily wrote:

That pizza looks incredible! It’s just loaded with veggies!

Congrats on your weight loss.. I just read the post below. That’s fantastic.

• Ethel Powers wrote:

Why do I come to sites like yours when I am starving? That is one scrumptious looking pizza. Just had to follow you on Twitter.

• marguerite wrote:

YUM!!

• patsyk wrote:

That pizza looks great! I’m going to have to try your crust, as I’d love to have a healthier version to make at home. My boys would love a no-sauce pizza, which I do for them on a regular basis.

• Cheryl Tooker wrote:

I can’t wait to try this. I did a link to your site on my blog. Everyone needs to see your wonderful recipes!!

• Kate wrote:

I love making my own homemade pizza. I tend to go overboard on the veggie toppings.

• CakeSpy wrote:

Oh my goodness, this looks perfect!! Pizza is one of my favorite foods in the world.

• Lisa wrote:

Mmmmmn! looks so fresh and delicious.

• KatieG wrote:

Now I’m craving PIZZA! That looks fresh, light, and delicious.

• Kara wrote:

LOVE whole wheat dough – never make pizza dough any other way. But this option with tons of veggies, no sauce, and less cheese looks great – plus, feta makes everything taste amazing!

By the way – congrats on the Biggest Loser! So impressed!

• dawn wrote:

I just recently came to love whole wheat dough. For years I thought it would suck, to be blunt. But you know it really is very good, and has a better texture.
    I love putting feta on pizza. So, this looks really good!