The Hanukkah doughnut...
Prep Time:30 min + rising time
Cook Time:25 min
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup granulated white sugar, divided
3/4 cup warm milk (110°F)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoon butter, softened
jam (strawberry or apricot)
1. Dissolve the yeast and 2 Tablespoons sugar in the warm milk.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl; make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture, egg yolks, salt, nutmeg, butter and remaining sugar. Stir the flour into the center. Once combined, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until dough is elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let the dough rise overnight in the refrigerator.
3. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 2-inch rounds and place on a baking sheet. Cover and let the rounds rise for 20 to 30 minutes in a warm place.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg, 3 Tablespoons sugar and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
5. Form dough rounds into a ball and insert about 2 teaspoons of jam into the center of each dough ball.
6. In a heavy pot, pour in the oil to about the 2 1/2-inch mark. Heat to 375°F. Drop sufganiot (doughnuts) into the oil, turning when browned. Drain on paper towels and roll in powdered sugar.