Veggie Burgers with Cilantro Mayonnaise

It’s that time of year that I begin to feel like entertaining more. The weather is warmer, the ingredients are fresher, and the desire to invite people over to share in a meal is inescapable. My husband flips on the fountains in the courtyards, selects outdoor mood music, hoses down the outdoor patio furniture and fires up the grill. I agonize about the menu and spend the day preparing everything so that I can enjoy time with our guests when they arrive.

On one such beautiful day, we invited family over for dinner after my son’s Little League baseball game. We told them it was casual… just going to whip up some veggie burgers, fries and salad & asked them to head on over to our house after the game.

My Father-in-Law watched in amazement as I formed the burger patties with my hands. “What are you doing?” he asked. “I’m making veggie burgers,”  I said.  He just shook his head. He told me that he thought people just bought veggie burgers in the frozen food section. “Well today you’re going to have a real, live homemade veggie burger,” I said. He looked a little skeptical, but I promised him that all would be great.

I adapted 101 Cookbooks veggie burger to make Veggie Burgers with Cilantro Mayonnaise. Here’s the how-to of my creation:
burger11
The burgers are made with chickpeas (garbanzo beans) as a base. Eggs, salt, cilantro, onion, lemon zest, breadcrumbs and peas are also mixed in. They’re a little too delicate to put on a grill, unless you have a good grill grate that you can set them on. I made mine indoors, but I had my husband grill a bunch of veggies (bell peppers, portobello mushrooms and zucchini) outside- just cut the veggies in large chunks, tossed with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
burgers21
I also whipped up a batch of Cilantro Mayonnaise. It’s a fabulous condiment for sandwiches and burgers, and you won’t need any additional ketchup or mustard.
burgers31
We ate some of those grilled veggies on the side, but we also included them as a condiment for our burgers.
burgers41
A little melted muenster cheese on the veggie burger is perfect.
burgers51
Sprouts add crunch and fresh flavor.
burgers61
burgers71
And there it is! Piled high with goodies, this turned out to be one fantastic burger. My Father-in-Law’s skepticism turned to awe as he devoured is first homemade veggie burger. He turned to me and said, “You work so hard to prepare good food, but you know Lori, you’re really happiest when you’re in the kitchen.” I’ll never forget that he said that, and I really couldn’t agree more. Being in the kitchen definitely makes me happy 🙂

The recipe for Veggie Burgers can be found here:  Veggie Burgers with Cilantro Mayonnaise
I served them with oven-baked sweet potato fries (cut up sweet potatoes tossed with salt, pepper & olive oil and roasted in the oven) and this great salad: Avocado & Pine Nut Salad.

Lori Lange of Recipe Girl

Meet The Author: Lori Lange

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• Marie wrote:

Your FIL is right, and it shows so well in all your food Lori! This looks outstanding, all loaded up with veggie goodness!

• courtney wrote:

I love burgers like this. Better than that frozen stuff anyday.

• kellypea wrote:

Clearly I’ve been out of the loop lately, but I’m wondering if you’re done with meat period. If so, then you’re off to a great start. This is quite the delectable veggie burger right down to the sprouts. Mmmmm… 😉

• Debbie wrote:

Please send that burger over my way. What a great looking dish. Love the cilantro mayo!

• gina wrote:

Yummy! I have to try this! : )

• Rosie wrote:

I had veggie burgers yesterday but they didn’t look half as good as these ones! I am going to bookmark this 😀 Thanks for sharing.

• Jescel wrote:

wow.. this looks delish! i’m not a vegetarian, but i wouldn’t mind having a burger like this every now and then.

• Adam wrote:

Wow, I love that roasted red pepper on that! I wouldn’t even miss the meat, and with those beans there’s plenty of protein too 🙂 Nice job Lori. Love how you don’t need to much of a reason to have good people over 🙂

• Jenni wrote:

Oh, Lori! That’s making my mouth water, and I just ate! I love chickpeas–what a great base for a veggie burger. And cilantro mayonnaise? Fabulous:)

• The Duo Dishes wrote:

That’s layer and layers of flavor right there.

• jd wrote:

Those look terrific!

I saw them on 101 Cookbooks, also, but haven’t tried the recipe yet… It looks like you had great success – those veg burgers are gorgeous 🙂

Yum!

• nina wrote:

I bet your father-in-law was as speechless as I am now!! The veggies burgers looks delicious and I would my meat burger for this one anyday!!

• Hannah wrote:

I’m always on the search for different veggie burgers to keep things interesting, and this one sounds like it’s definitely worth trying! I would just use pureed tofu instead of the egg. 🙂

• RobinSue wrote:

This looks like a great burger. I am always looking for a good veggie burger so I will have to try yours! I am glad to see the cilantro mayo- I love cilantro! I am entertaining more too and have had two parties this past week, one with 38 people and one with 30. Can I be done for a while?

• Lighting wrote:

I am a meat and potatoes guy all the way. But me and the wife tried these veggie burgers and they are awesome. Thanks for the healthier version on a american classic.

• LilSis wrote:

Now that is one amazing looking veggie burger! I’ve never made one from scratch, but will definitely give this recipe a try after seeing how great they turn out!

• Jeff wrote:

Looks great and I can tell by google reader that spring is in full swing. Everything is burgery, lighter, and using fresh ingredients over the heavy wintery dishes.

• Joan Nova wrote:

You could teach a class called How to Build a Better Burger! It just kept getting better with each photo. Makes me want to go and build one for myself — and I may just do that later today.

• grace wrote:

i hate mayo. i love cilantro. the question is, would i like cilantro mayo? it’s worth a shot, especially on a burger such as this.

• Janet wrote:

Yum! Looks incredible! Cilantro is such a fav of mine, too!